Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 01-15-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For short runs 1200 is "fine" but keep in mind Tyson wants todo long range runs, I would be looking for less if it was mine, but I also don't know the other data to go along with it, IF EOT,ECT, CP, and IAT are fine it could be fine. Gassers on the other hand 1600 let them buck, but diesel has so much more energy and less duration of fuel burn 1200 egt is close to 2k in the cylinders.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

It'd be cool if you could hook up with Kiekhaefer and put his prototype drives on as if you need to put more innovation in your boat.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ski area in the background is Deer Valley. It's one of the great ski resorts in this country. Constantly ranked in the top 3 by Ski Magazine year after year. I'll be up there in about 4 weeks. Hope you guys are testing again.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by iaoutlaw
It'd be cool if you could hook up with Kiekhaefer and put his prototype drives on as if you need to put more innovation in your boat.
We saw pictures of these drives and talked to him about using them several years ago. They were not designed for much power and will definitely not handle the power we need. I also talked to several of the other companies that were making the same thing and there are some that were rated for the power but they were huge and weighed a lot. Several years ago we made our own "changing pitch prop/Drive" using an arneson drive with a hydraulic ram that pushed on a plate that pushed the blades backwards, where the prop blades were sitting in T slots in the hub that were cut in a spiral so as the blade was pushed backwards into the spiral it gained pitch. The idea I think was good but the blades broke at the hub T joint almost instantly. We could have worked on design some more but basically made it by hand just to see what would happen.

We had talked to Kiekhaefer about putting those drives on the Diesel v-bottom that had the 480 cummins in it and he said the drive/prop was designed around a 600 hp 600 ftlb gas engine and that it would not handle the torque of the 480 cummins, so it is interesting to see that they are using the 550 cummins with it?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 PM
Registered

I found a heated building to store the boat in for a few weeks/month(couple years) till we get the engines figured out. I hauled it to the storage building a few hours before my flight home but did not have time to get plastic to cover it with and still make my flight so I ask the guys at Industrial Injection if that night they could get some plastic and go by and cover it up so it would not get a bunch of dust settling on top of it. The next morning I get this picture. They did a pretty good job covering it. I knew they would only find 12' wide material so I figured it would just have a layer down the middle that would cover the top of the boat but nothing else. They wrapped this thing like a present, even covering the whole trailer.
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cover-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cover-3.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-cover-2.jpg  

Old 01-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice to see them step to the plate like that. Seems like you guys found some people that are as passionate as you are!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Tborisch
Nice to see them step to the plate like that. Seems like you guys found some people that are as passionate as you are!
Tyson has gone beyond what 99.8% of the populous would endure for a boat/hobby with his share of up's and down's... for Industrial Injection to spend an extra 20 min / 1/2hour to wrap the 50 and its trailer up like its hibernating.. well IMHO they just out did what a large % of companies would even contemplate doing with an owner standing there..

Nice to see a company exceed an owners expectation and treat the Skater like they own it rather than just Work Order #...

Nice to see this posted for the OSO audience to see as there are enough horror stories about shops that just don't get it..

Last edited by speicher lane; 01-16-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
I found a heated building to store the boat in for a few weeks/month(couple years) till we get the engines figured out. I hauled it to the storage building a few hours before my flight home but did not have time to get plastic to cover it with and still make my flight so I ask the guys at Industrial Injection if that night they could get some plastic and go by and cover it up so it would not get a bunch of dust settling on top of it. The next morning I get this picture. They did a pretty good job covering it. I knew they would only find 12' wide material so I figured it would just have a layer down the middle that would cover the top of the boat but nothing else. They wrapped this thing like a present, even covering the whole trailer.
Hopefully not yrs, I truly enjoy watching this build and the trial and error of it, reminds me of the stuff I go thru just on a much smaller and less expensive scale. Just like any project do you have a plan B if these motors don't work out? Or whatever plan your on, D or F

Like I always tell my self when the going gets tough whether if its at work or at home doing projects, Head down one step in front of the other and your making progress.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turbom700
Hopefully not yrs, I truly enjoy watching this build and the trial and error of it, .
Speaking of error of it... They kept telling me were not getting the engines warm enough from not having a thermostat, I will fix that problem....

in reality this is a screen capture from there security cameras of when they were dynoing my engine a few weeks ago. The oil pressure line that goes to the dyno console was a plastic line and it fell and landed on the manifold and melted through. If you have not caught an engine on fire while you were dynoing then you have not dynoed enough engines.

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
in reality this is a screen capture from there security cameras of when they were dynoing my engine a few weeks ago. The oil pressure line that goes to the dyno console was a plastic line and it fell and landed on the manifold.
https://youtu.be/sIsQpuDJYfY

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 01-18-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Registered

Haha I just did the same thing Dec 18th at work, I was running a much larger turbo on a vehicle we build trying to prove a point, and instead of doing it right and making a new line, I took the stock one (which is a braided plastic) and bent it to make it "work". Well after everything is glowing red hot from a nice chassis dyno pull, she let go not only scaring the **** out of me, but also making a f-ing mess everywhere on the dyno. Tires picked it up and threw it all over the place. Got the numbers I was looking for rolled it off the dyno cleaned my mess up and called it a "night" I think that was somewhere around 2am.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with the "only luck I have is bad luck"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.