Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 03-19-2016, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ohh wow
What poker runs do you plan on making?
Well planned and awesome boat.
The boat should be done in around a month, so we might make it to lake Havasu. Then tickfaw, the lake race at lake of the Ozarks, the MACC military show in Baltimore, then jacksonville poker run, lake lanier, skater fest in Detroit, Loto shootout, key west races.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great. We look forward to seeing you in Louisiana at the Tickfaw 200.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you do a dam-to-dam-to-dam run or is it too risky upstream for this boat?
Old 03-19-2016, 09:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by NASCAT
Some may call you OCD or rate your NERD level but IMO it's simply attention to detail.

Extra detail given to items that have absolutely NO functional benefit (like Philips screw head alignment) well we call those "Style Points" and those are worth a few mental 10ths of a second within the NASCAR garage. I say this b/c they place the competition in awe not to mention the distraction it causes them as they wonder how much time we put into the details that really count if we were willing to invest time in the non performance ones.

PS- all the external hardware on my boat is aligned as are all the outlet and switch plate screws in my home.

Amat Victoria Curam . . . . . .Victory Loves Preparation . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keytime
Will you do a dam-to-dam-to-dam run or is it too risky upstream for this boat?
We will do the Loto Dam Challenge again. Probably be one of our first test runs, a good time to do it might be during the lake race weekend.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

When I was desert racing, our team had one of many sayings...

"I love the smell of loc-tite, it smells like....VICTORY!"
Old 03-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Registered

When we do an endurance run we will have a live feed on the internet. The screen will be something like this. We will probably change the top left view to full time view from the shark fin facing forward seeing the cockpit and out the front of the boat. Then the top right view will be the rotating view from the 8 other cameras. Bottom left screen will be the gps screen, it will show location, course and speed. The bottom right will show our vitals, g-shock load, and engine gauges. We have a system on the boat that will give us a wifi satellite connection for our phones. We will be able to text, have internet connection and make phone calls directly from our cell phones. When we are within cell range like doing poker runs, shootout, boat shows, ect. our internet uplink screen will switch from the satellite dish to a cellular antenna to not cost as much on satellite airtime. Nerd level 5.2

[ATTACH=CONFIG]552670[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-live-feed.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-19-2016 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

VSAT vs Cellular uplinks, now your in my Nerd field...

When your ready to do the big trip, I can hook ya up with discounted rates on coverage across the pond and back to CA.

Last edited by kidturbo; 03-19-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Tyson, Are you using the Iridium network for the satellite side? If so the data speeds are really slow for video. It will work good for text, email etc. VSAT's are far better but size of the antennas could be issue. If you are using VSAT's there are some areas that do not have coverage.
Inmarsat phones like a Fleet broadband are good for Internet access but again video feeds may be an issue.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Double Rigged
Tyson, Are you using the Iridium network for the satellite side? If so the data speeds are really slow for video. It will work good for text, email etc. VSAT's are far better but size of the antennas could be issue. If you are using VSAT's there are some areas that do not have coverage.
Inmarsat phones like a Fleet broadband are good for Internet access but again video feeds may be an issue.
What we have is a prototype that is not available for consumer use yet. It has a 10 meg up and 35 meg down rate. It is supposed to be able to do several high def cameras at once. We basically have a custom system made to do what we need. When we did the Bermuda Challenge we were the first people to do full time streaming video offshore for that length of time. We only had one camera linked on that site but we had 4 that were uploading at the same rate. We were doing a joint effort test for a few companys. The satellite data used would have been a hundred thousand dollars if we would have had to pay for it.

We still have our vsat system and Inmarsat systems from the v-bottom that will be backups.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 03-19-2016 at 10:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
I'CE (04-11-2024)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.