Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 04-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Tyson what is the estimated power loss in the gearbox and transmission between the input and output?

Gears look super strong is the box drysump ?
Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Tyson what is the estimated power loss in the gearbox and transmission between the input and output?
yes, we estimate there is a power loss.

Originally Posted by 999JAY
Gears look super strong is the box drysump ?
yes, it's dry sump. I have a high pressure pump drawing from the external tank and applying the clutches, spraying gear mesh, and lubricating bearings. Then a seperate scavenge pump that is sucking from the bottom of gear box and putting the oil through the cooler and back to tank. I have plumbed it to where I can add a separate pump to lubricate bearings and spray gear mesh if I need to.

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-01-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

We machined some fender holders to put down in the front hatches. These are for normal sized fenders for lake use, and then we will have some inflatable ones that are really big.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553371[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-fender-holder-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-fender-holder.jpg  
Old 04-02-2016, 09:43 AM
Registered

The start of my windshield. Jim Lee from Lee Aerospace standing next to the sheet of material that will become my windshield. The window formed to the shape and skaters trim jig they use to get it close. Then they test fit them and hand trim to the perfect fit. My windows will be a little taller then normal so we will leave it almost the full height instead of trimming down to the jig. The height will give us more room for suspension travel on the seats and block wind for the back seat passengers. This window is made out of normal Polycarbonate, we did not want to use the expensive material for the first test of seeing if it fits good. After we run the boat a few times we will decide if its tall enough and then Lee Aerospace is going to make us a custom Laminated, Stretched Acrylic window that will have a Gold coating in it that conducts electricity to heat the window to get rid of ice or fogging in cold weather.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553379[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553380[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553381[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-.5.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-2.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-3.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-02-2016 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

We will be displaying the boat at some military shows. To demonstrate what it is capable of and to show some of the parts that are in it. The windshield will be bullet proof and an added benefit to the gold coating in the windshield is that a FLIR camera will not see a heat signature through the gold coating. If you were a navy seal a sniper would not be able to see where in the boat to aim to shoot at you. This may be use full when we get around to the east side of Africa near Somalia and the Suez canal.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553382[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-window-5.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-02-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

What did the engines dyno at?
Old 04-02-2016, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

was telling my cousin the other day about this project,
i could see the navy needing at least one on each coast or in one of those boats they put the big hovercrafts in for some super sneaky over the horizon tom foolery
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
We machined some fender holders to put down in the front hatches. These are for normal sized fenders for lake use, and then we will have some inflatable ones that are really big.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]553371[/ATTACH]
Wow them are nice I love the look and would look bad a$s in blue in my boat. Price please lol
Old 04-03-2016, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

yes, it's dry sump. I have a high pressure pump drawing from the external tank and applying the clutches, spraying gear mesh, and lubricating bearings. Then a seperate scavenge pump that is sucking from the bottom of gear box and putting the oil through the cooler and back to tank. I have plumbed it to where I can add a separate pump to lubricate bearings and spray gear mesh if I need to.[/QUOTE]

Tyson, will there be protection ie: A screen on the suction side before the scavenging pump and/or a filter after it protecting the cooler, the external main storage tank etc. before the fluid is returned to the transmission?
Old 04-03-2016, 01:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
What did the engines dyno at?
We are still doing tuning on it. The power band of the cam and turbo we had was too high in rpm for doing endurance runs, so we are redoing some stuff then go back to the dyno again this week. We want to be in the 1200 HP range at 4000 rpm but right now were at 950 hp that low in the rpm and the peak power is too high in rpm. Were going to try some different injectors and turbos this week. Maybe a cam change.

Our plan is when we get it tuned the way we want were going to do a 10 hour continuous wide open pull to see what happens, if we end up doing it I will put it live on here were everyone can log in and watch to see if it scatters or lives.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]553409[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-dyno-950-hp.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-950-hp-2.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 04-03-2016 at 01:17 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.