Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Sorry I have not been posting on here. I have not had internet at night, and I spent the last month going backwards and were just now caught back up to where we were. Let me just throw a curve ball at this build.....

I don't want the thread to go 10 pages into the change. If I end up needing to I will start another thread about it. I will just say that the engines were supposed to be done more then a year ago and I only have one that is 80% complete. I do not want to wait another year to go boating so I called up Cummins marine and bought two engines and had them sitting here complete ready to install in three days. Then I had to spend weeks cutting stuff out, and doing fiberglass work, and making new engine mounts, ect.

In the end if the Duramax's ever get finished I still plan on putting them in but for now I will be running Cummins.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556445[/ATTACH]
Ouch I have that merit badge from Skater also......... Good luck see you at LOTO!
Old 06-15-2016, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPaC87
Tyson is working hard to get the boat done. He hasn't had an internet connection where he is staying so he hasn't been able to post at night like he was originally doing. Let's just say, we have made a few changes that Tyson will update everyone tonight!
He must be staying at the world famous AmericInn behind the shop at Douglas. Stay away from the breakfast they serve!
Old 06-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

There is good and bad about using the Cummins.. Originally we had planned on running these exact engines. We have a few customers that want to know what the boat will do with a stock Cummins 550. We know that we will turn the key and they will start and run and probably not break. They do not even recommend an oil change till 500 hours, that is a life time of most speed boats. We know the exact fuel consumption. They do not have any black smoke. They have closed cooling. There is a really long warranty period. We can get parts or them worked on anywhere in the world. I can get a backup set of engines tomorrow if I need them.

The bad is the cummins cannot turn the rpm of the duramax.
I designed the transmission around the rpm range of the duramax. So now I have to design and build new transmissions with an overdrive. None of the wiring, throttles, gauges, plumbing, ect. I already had for the duramax will work. They are heavier then the duramax. They are not "pretty". They don't make as much HP as the Duramax.... (yet)
Old 06-15-2016, 06:13 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The water inlet to the Cummins was just a pipe on a flange with a little tiny bump to hold a hose clamp. I would be worried about blowing the hose off once we get going fast and have a lot of water pressure so I took a -20 union and cut it in half then made a flange with an o-ring and welded it together to have a screw on hose instead of hose clamp.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556446[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556447[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556448[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556449[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556450[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-fitting-1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-fitting-2.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-fitting-3.jpg  

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-fitting-4.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-water-fitting-5.jpg  
Old 06-15-2016, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Duramax deal sux but you seem to work well under pressure and are a great problem solver and improviser.

Nice fab work on the water inlet. You are like the modern day McGyver + your finished project is always Trick!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:21 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great meeting you guys today. It was also nice to see this project up close, can't wait to see it in the water
Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
Sorry I have not been posting on here. I have not had internet at night, and I spent the last month going backwards and were just now caught back up to where we were. Let me just throw a curve ball at this build.....

I don't want the thread to go 10 pages into the change. If I end up needing to I will start another thread about it. I will just say that the engines were supposed to be done more then a year ago and I only have one that is 80% complete. I do not want to wait another year to go boating so I called up Cummins marine and bought two engines and had them sitting here complete ready to install in three days. Then I had to spend weeks cutting stuff out, and doing fiberglass work, and making new engine mounts, ect.

In the end if the Duramax's ever get finished I still plan on putting them in but for now I will be running Cummins.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556445[/ATTACH]
any idea if your engines are domestically built or offshore built?
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete35Fountain
any idea if your engines are domestically built or offshore built?
Or domestically built for offshore?

Sorry, but I had to do it. LOL
Old 06-15-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Or domestically built for offshore?

Sorry, but I had to do it. LOL
I would have too
Old 06-15-2016, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

One of my favorite threads thanks for all the entertainment!

Kristy and I are home for the summer if you need anything bud. See ya soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.