Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater >

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Notices

Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater

Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1,000,000.00 worth of engines and drives sitting on the floor?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by BigSilverCat
How about a little trivia.... What is this a picture of.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561677[/ATTACH]
Wow with such a "clear" photo you think it would be easy ;-)
Old 11-16-2016, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
One last guess....

The bullet hole in the wall on the right of the photo!
no
Originally Posted by chardt
$1,000,000.00 worth of engines and drives sitting on the floor?
no

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Wow with such a "clear" photo you think it would be easy ;-)
yep
Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

The pump on the drums means you're going to test it again soon?
Old 11-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

The photo is of my windshield.

The windshields in most boats have really bad distortion in the corners. The picture is looking through the bottom outside corner of my windshield where it has the tightest compound curve and its pretty much flawless. Jim Lee at Lee Aerospace made a new CNC'd mold to make my windshield and by using the same techniques as he uses to make the aircraft windows its so distortion free that you can not really "see" the window.

When we are looking through a window for hours straight the distortion in some windows will give you eye strain and headaches. We may be looking through the corners of the windshield trying to see land or a boat that is 12 miles away and a little bit of distortion could make it disappear, or change locations.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561706[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-6.jpg  

Last edited by BigSilverCat; 11-16-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm guessing those boxes are spare parts to carried on the longer runs. Hopefully unused.

edit ; I see I guessed bad wrong....
very nice work

Last edited by buck35; 11-16-2016 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 29 Posts

Guess we had trouble seeing through the question.

Very nice job on the windshield.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

well i see about 9 55 gallon drums of something. im going to guess full of diesel fuel
Old 11-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say the four barrels are full of Rum
Old 11-17-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Blow out tube:

The first time I took the boat to the water I was rushing to get a quick test to make sure the transmissions worked, steering, ect. and to make sure the boat would float.. before it was going to be tied up getting a special coating on the whole boat ( I will post more on this tonight).
I knew I would need blow out tubes for the props but did not have time to make them so when we tried to get on plane we could not get any boost so it had no power. While the coating was being put on the boat I made the blow out tubes. Was not sure what size I would need so I went big, there 4" dia piece of stainless elbow with a collar welded to it for the rubber hose to clamp to then some gussets and flanges welded to the bottom to bolt down on the arneson.

They ended up being too big and once it broke loose the prop would not get enough bite to get on plane so now I have just a 2" dia piece of rubber till we get more testing done.
Mine and Rik's friend Dave is currently sorting out similar prop issues on his single engine Vee setup which runs that same twin fin drive. What he's discovered this month is that a little prop cup and possible clearance on those fins makes big a difference between getting on plane or just cavitating out of control.

Dave is running a heavy boat with stoker Dmax and 6spd Allison trans setup, so having enough torque and spooling is not an issue. He's currently testing with a 16.5 x 35 x 6 and a 17.5 x 38 x 5. The 35p is a Rolla and comes right up on plane. I can see in his logs that prop is slipping for bit then hooks up within a few seconds at steady throttle once on top. The Hering 38P he recently purchased will spin clear up to 4000R's shaft speed, but never hooks up. So he can't get on plane with it no matter how he trims the drive. He also tested with a tube and found it no help.

He then gauged both props and found the primary difference in design was cup. Seems the gas engine design [Hering] uses considerably less cup than the Rolla from a diesel setup. So the Hering is currently getting modified to match cup of the Rolla and will test again this weekend.

Dave said he'd like to chat sometime since you both run that twin fin setup. Am sure Rik will vouch for him, he's a serious hands on guy who also runs a turbine cat. Here is the gauged difference in cup to review.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]561713[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]561712[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-imagejpeg_0_1.jpg   Start to Finish: Building Our 50' Skater-imagejpeg_1_1.jpg  

Last edited by kidturbo; 11-17-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.