Notices

Wanted.........

Old 09-27-2002, 09:08 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Boomer:

Curved back Vee Bottom......... That was indeed a later Switzer. Nicknamed the "downhill Vee" it ran with a very low angle of attack......... due to a lack of forward entry lift. However, it turned great and ran fast in up to a medium chop..... Most of those boats sported Metalflake gel coat. One of the better racers, Joe Habay, from Michigan had a twin engine version which did pretty well on the race course. Those boats were built in the late 60's , early 70's and represented Switzer's move into the more traditional Checkmate/Allison/Hustler market. The latter boat in that trio( Hustler) has no relationship to the current boats manufactured on Long Island.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 09-27-2002 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:30 AM
hoodlum

WOW WHAT A HISTORY LESSON! If they would've talked about this stuff in school my GPA would've been much higher.

Being a little younger I had never heard of this boat. Now I'm totally interested in your project.

Can't wait to hear more!

Scott

Old 09-27-2002, 10:07 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Glad to oblige........................I've been blessed with a lot of experience and a good memory.

Unfortunately, my knowledge is pale by comparison to the new color commentators on Offshore TV. I failed to commit various current boat manufacturer's sales baloney to memory, and neglected to parrot the "Party Line" regarding the "Fabulous, Stupendous, Business Model that is bringing the sport to greatness"....................(Yawn)

.........................rendering me obsolete.

T2x

P.S. I also can't wrestle!
Old 09-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK,T2x,it's time for a few words about the "Flying Boat" that the late,great John McCall developed(or tried to) for Mercury years ago. You probrably know more about it than any of us. John built us a couple of wood tunnels in the early 70's but he didn't seem to want to discuss that project.Can you enlighten us? Magicfloat
Old 09-27-2002, 10:21 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

MagicFloat:

I saw it.....................Most of the others who were involved are dead..................... If I say anything..................my life is in jeopa-----

No, No I was only!!! ...no I promise!!.....no I swear......

Not that!!!!!!!!!!!!, Any thing but That..............

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.... THIS IS MERCURY CONTROL.....T2X HAS EXCEEDED GUIDELINES AND IS RECEIVING CORRECTIVE TRAINING................. AFTER THIS PROCESS WHICH INVOLVES LISTENING TO REGGIE FOUNTAIN'S ANNUAL SHAREHOLDER SPEECH REPEATEDLY, HE WILL BE RETURNED TO FREE PUBLIC ACCESS....

Last edited by T2x; 09-27-2002 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:03 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

What happened???? Why is there drool all over my shirt???

Who are these guys with the black suits?

What are you doing with that needle??

OOOH that feels good..........
Old 09-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

TX2 You said you were blessed with a memory and I say AMEN TO THAT. This is very cool stuff we are all learning hear. It is so cool to see info on these boats that I never even knew existed. This looks like it is going to be one killer project for the two of you. I can not waite to see the progress.

What did these boats sell for way back when and what do they tipically go for now? I used to have a Merc 150xs that I should have held on to. Especially since the moron that I sold it to blew it up a week after he bought it off me (low water preasure, bad impeller). Miss that old motor, it ran so well!!!

Jon
Old 09-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Switzer

My first boat was a 1954 wooden Switzer. You drove from the back seat, it was a twin cockpit about 13 ft long. It had a 35 hp Johnson and did about 35 mph- for a 15 yr old kid this was great.

In the mid 70's I saw a fiberglass Switzer a t a dealer in Mich. and the brochure listed 2 boats, a 16 and a 18' ft as I remember. They had the metalflake gel coat. There was a saying on the brochure:

" When the waves are high, watch the Switzers go by"

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Man ancient history, considering I am 47 now.

Sold the Switzer in 1974 for $300, it was free to me. This is because i now had a 16' Wriedt Spoiler (checkmate knokoff) which I had a 135 Evinrude on it- max hp rated. It did 55 mph and was big doins for an 18 yr old. I raced the local Donzi at the time w/ a 270 hp I/O and we were dead even all the time.

Wannabe in Motor City
Old 09-27-2002, 01:58 PM
Firewalker

T2x Congratulations, to both you and your son!.
I would love to have a wing (or see one in person for that matter), for the coolness factor. I am way to young (I wasn't even a sparkle in my fathers eye yet) to remember them. But know of them because of the fiberglassics sight.
Anyhow I hope you document the entire progress on this project.

As a side note do you know "Raceman" over at the scream and fly sight?, he has a collection that as far as I know is unsurpassed.

RT

Old 09-27-2002, 02:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Don't know a "Raceman" but if he has a real name, I might very well know or know of him.

Thanks,

T2x

Quick Reply: Wanted.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.