Notices

Good Boats < $18K

Old 03-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go with any of the 24x7's...superboat, pantera, condor, avanti...easy maintenance, quick on mild power, hulls that can handle more, good in rough, easier cabin entry than bajas...good cabin space..12-25k +/-
Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another vote for 24/25 Baja Outlaw, or 250ES/272/Shooter - Or Powerquest 257-270. Decent prices, and decent cabins for overnights.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Any boat that I have seen on this list is dated and is going to cost you a lot to make it okay. I think you can find a nice Baja within your price range that still has a modern look on boat trader. I would be looking at a single engine, stand up bolsters and stock, you can make the changes you want.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

I think you first have to ask what type of boating you looking at doing

Are you going out in the rough and running the snot in 2-3s every outing or are you just cruising and looking for a bit more accommodations .

Do you want a standup bolster or a sit down arrangement where you have too look through a windshield .

I think you are going to have to raise your price a little to find something garaunteed clean and solid and reliable.

I think you would be money ahead using your motor you know and putting it in a hull. Advantage to buying a hull minus power is you can really inspect it for rot and other problems.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tommymonza
The 25 Baja Outlawis a killer big little boat but man they command a big price even for the older ones.
There is a big difference in usability when it comes to the 24's and the 25 Outlaws. Given the option I would take a 25 over a 24 any day of the week. Much easier cabin access.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Registered

BUP - I get cobalt is a great boat, I had one w/ the VP/duoprop, I had a crownline in an open bow again with the VP/duoprop...both of these were great "family" boat for me. I'm now looking for an "old boy's toy".

The couple that have bubbled to the top (for me) are the 24/25 outlaw and the Formula 242LS. I also have interest in the Sabre, a warlock 23 w/o engine, Scarab and Sleekcraft.

"The internets" seems to open up so many purchase options I would never have been exposed to 30 years ago. You have provided me with tons of information to help navigate all of this.

I think better known brands have pretty much been represented here, are there other lesser know brands to look at? For instance, I had never heard of sleekcraft before, they strike me as a fun and unique boat...but I have no clue how seaworthy they are or what fit and finish/construction of these is like. That is one reason I like OSO so much, there is a very broad representation of favorites, experiences and lessons learned.

Thanks!

- scott -

I'm committed to have made a decision by easter
Old 03-16-2016, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

I might let our 251 Checkmate go for near yor budget, check her out on powerboat swap Facebook . Fast and clean with a nice cabin, DVD player and awesome stereo. Listed by Krista Nykamp.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:42 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nykamp
I might let our 251 Checkmate go for near yor budget, check her out on powerboat swap Facebook . Fast and clean with a nice cabin, DVD player and awesome stereo. Listed by Krista Nykamp.
Had a 251, loved the ride of the boat. Great cabin, good fit and finish. Good quality build
Old 03-16-2016, 11:52 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

can you lead to the info on the Checkmate 251 - what year and its on facebook ?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Registered

This 1994 24ft Baja Outlaw w/ the 500hp merc racing 502 is a few hours away from me and I am going to check it out on Sat . It has very low hours on it and I think looks pretty sweet.

I do have 2 reservations on the boat. First, I do need to see the cuddy to make sure it will work for the wife because if it won't, she will kill me, or make me wish I was dead :-). Second, I am a bit concerned about maintenance on this 502 "blue" engine, I have heard there is a rather costly maintenance schedule associated with it, whereas others have suggested that the upper only needs to be rebuilt every 150 hrs and this varies based on how hard it is driven. I can't imagine I would drive it that hard for very long (without piling up a ton of tickets).

Beyond those reservations, this look like a rig that would be wonderful on lakes and rivers, towable and I can possibly even find dock space for this (it is so limited or IMHO crazy expensive where I am - $9K for a 27ft).

Any good or bad experiences with either the 500HP mercruiser blue engine Baja's were using? or with the 94' cuddy vs. 95? (Thanks C-DEEZY - for pointing out this difference).

For now - I'm still looking, always need a contingency plan and every so often an even better option surfaces. I need to check out the checkmates I have completely avoided them and it sounds like I have a completely incorrect image of them. I spent a summer riding around in one a buddy of mine had in the early 80's and for some reason I always thought of it as the bayliner of go-fast boats...fast, flashy and you never know when it is going to fall apart.

Thanks!

- scott -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.