Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Removing oil filter w/out a mess ????? >

Removing oil filter w/out a mess ?????

Notices

Removing oil filter w/out a mess ?????

Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing oil filter w/out a mess ?????

Any secrets to share in removing the vertical (tall) oil filter on a 496 Mag without incurring a huge oily mess ?????

Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

I always loosen and break the seal. Let the Filter drain over night. Next day plastic garbage bag next to engine, I take a towel , wrap it around the base of the oil filter housing, loosen up oil filter, drop everything in bag. Then I get it out of the bilge before I get the bag caught on a hose clamp or something.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
I always loosen and break the seal. Let the Filter drain over night. Next day plastic garbage bag next to engine, I take a towel , wrap it around the base of the oil filter housing, loosen up oil filter, drop everything in bag. Then I get it out of the bilge before I get the bag caught on a hose clamp or something.
Thanks, I've also heard to ice pick a hole in the top of the filter in several places, allow to drain overnight and remove, sounds like the same concept. Just wanted to see what the popular method. Thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 90profx
Thanks, I've also heard to ice pick a hole in the top of the filter in several places, allow to drain overnight and remove, sounds like the same concept. Just wanted to see what the popular method. Thanks
Some guys poke holes in the filter, I am not a big fan, I could just see myself getting a piece of metal in the oil lines, or bending something or making a mess. If you break the seal, it will do the same thing. I try to stay away from self inflicting disasters as much as possible....lol
Old 03-18-2016, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 754 Likes on 406 Posts

I've never poked a hole in an inverted filter. Break the seal, let it drain a bit, unscrew a tad more and lift, let it drain, etc. Be patient and it will drain back into the remote filter pad and you can remove it without spilling a drop. Usually takes just a few minutes for it to fully drain so you can remove it. If you get in a big hurry or unscrew it too far too soon then you will have a mess on your hands. I usually sit with a beer after I crack it open and occasionally lift up on the filter to ensure it is draining.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Great advice!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Totally get the message....., thanks
Old 03-18-2016, 12:09 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Post number 4 is correct. If you crack the filter just enough as the oil seeps out a tad then tighten back just a tad as the oil in the filter will drain down all by itself.

The next day there is basically no mess when removing the oil filter. I use oil absorbent towels (we call diapers) for all oil changes. the ones I use also picks up fuel and all types of oils, they are very good to have on hand for anyone who works on boats.

I have never poked any holes into oil filters to drain them period.

Last edited by BUP; 03-18-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

In your opinion, is it worth it to install remote oil filters? Years ago I had one on an older Ford pick up that had the stock filter located right over the front 4WD axle, (Ford 351 V8 in a pick-up) and it was a mess to change the filter. After I installed a remote filter, changes were a snap, and clean!
Old 03-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 183 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary P
In your opinion, is it worth it to install remote oil filters? Years ago I had one on an older Ford pick up that had the stock filter located right over the front 4WD axle, (Ford 351 V8 in a pick-up) and it was a mess to change the filter. After I installed a remote filter, changes were a snap, and clean!
This whole thread has been about the remote filter on the 496 Mag. Mercury uses them on most motors now because they're so much less of a pain than the OEM filter location.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.