What  should  a poker run BE ? >

What should a poker run BE ?

Notices

What should a poker run BE ?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of piggy-backing a poker run or fun run onto another event, either charitable or otherwise. Red Bull is having a cliff diving event at Possum Kingdom lake in June, having several events over a few days may not be a bad idea.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Registered

rus: I think everything you listed makes a good run. I haven't done a lot of them but I have done enough. To me it is a great excuse to run our boats together. Big and small, real fast, fast and not so fast. If I was traveling to a run it would have to have cool appeal. Pirates of Lanier had a fantastic turn out. A bit pricey I think it was $75/day just for a slip. Lanier is a beautiful lake to just go there for a vacation. Lookout Shootout in N.C. had a nice manageable group and running the "ditch" at high speeds. Awesome feeling. Good food is a must for any run and rooms close to the event. (walking distance) But I have to say. While organized Poker Runs are fun they can put a dent in your wallet and by the time you get home I'm one tired SOB. I have very enjoyable days on the Bay when you hook up with others early in the day and spend it running and hanging out together.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the 90's my dad and I did a couple poker runs on Lake Michigan from Chicago to New Buffalo, MI and one was from Chicago to Milwaukee. We did it on my dads 25 foot Donzi so it was not a super fast boat, in the right conditions we could hit 70mph, so definitely not the fastest boat on the water. One of the runs was more of a fun run with all sorts of boats participating and the other one had an "A:" group where all the big boys would run then there was a "B" group for the 50-75mph guys and a "C" group, hell the 50-75mph group might even have been the "C" group. It was always a good time but there were always that handful idiots driving over their head or too fast for conditions or for what their boat could handle. The idiot factor was the least enjoyable aspect of those runs. I was young and not all that experienced and could still spot the idiots lol.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
I bet a lot of those big/high dollar poker run boat owners wish they had a normal boat some days!
That's why we have several boats and sometimes take two boats to runs.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The expensive ones in FL seem to draw the big $ boats, which are nice to see and it's a lot of fun to run with all the sweet boats. A lot of great people, but also a few that are too good for everyone else as well. I've done several of these and something about listening to a big mouth promoter with an attitude preaching on his sand box about greasing his palm for a slip, better coverage of your boat/crew, etc, it becomes apparent real quick that he's only there to make money $, not for the love of the sport, boats, or the people. Add in some attitude towards anyone in a sub par boat or failing to pad his wallet enough and it tends to take some of the fun out of it pretty quick. The entire experience just tends to feel so "fake", like you're a pawn in putting on the illusion of the how incredible his events are... with the hope of drawing in even more $ next time.

The beauty of running in the keys is hard to beat and all of the runs there don't have to be expensive. Hell, I know a bunch of the MTI guys have had enough and did their own fun-run after the MBS this year, all the fun without the soap-box preaching money grab. So cost of entry doesn't have to = having a good time. I wouldn't be surprised if this option picks up steam in the future.

I have had an equal if not better time at some of the smaller (often charity based) PR's were the promoter and the boaters were there for the love of the sport and overall camaraderie. The location can certainly make or break a good run, but even if at a lesser location it's always fun to get together with others that love the sport and perf boat lifestyle. Overnight runs and money being raised for a good cause are a big plus in my book!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 AM
Registered

Charity based here in buffalo and we draw everything from people in there 20s just starting out to your guys with million dollar rigs and everything in between. Seems as long as your friendly and outgoing it's always easy to meet new people if you are new. IMO that's what poker runs are all about is meeting people and enjoying a weekend long party centered around my favorite past time.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like a poker run that is actually a "RUN" and not so much a "poker STOP"!
I bought my boat to run it, not just sit and look cool at the dock.
By the time you have a lunch stop, card stops, fuel stops (if necessary), etc. you spend all day in a poker run and put 2-3 hours on your boat. Not worth it, IMHO.
Additionally, doing a run of some sort in conjunction with a radar event in which top speeds can be reached safely is a huge bonus, as well as benefiting a worthy cause.
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but those are the things I look for in a poker run.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Registered

And that's why I plan to make the shootout next summer so I can raft off crack a cold one and watch you guys tear ass across the lake lol
Old 03-23-2016, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by class6
A150 MPH boat is easy to pass when it's broken.
The question is -- Do you Wave??

3pointstar
Old 03-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

The issue of what you are bringing up, can also be seen by people who can only watch poker runs, either online or in person.

Way to much "hey look at me with my boat at the dock" or "Hey look at me, I even hired Craigs List "Models" for my "crew""

If I wanted to see that, I'd go to Shooters on a Sunday.

In my opinion, fans and owners want to run these boats fast within the company of a like minded community, isn't that the point, in addition to all the friends, atmosphere, etc.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.