Mirrored/Reflective Window Tint Questions >

Mirrored/Reflective Window Tint Questions

Notices

Mirrored/Reflective Window Tint Questions

Old 03-31-2016, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mirrored/Reflective Window Tint Questions

I know some of you guys' boats don't even have traditional windshields but for those of you that do, do any of you have experience with mirrored reflective tint films? I want to get my windshield tinted and I have found mirrored tint film and colored mirrored tint films that look pretty cool, I like the blue reflective color or the traditional chrome/mirror look.. My question is this, does the reflective/mirrored tint interfere with electronics on the dash such as blocking GPS signals or satellite radio antenna signals? I am thinking about upgrading to a GPS speedometer and new gauges but I don't want to have issues as obviously my speedo sits under my windshield.

I recently updated the graphics on my boat to some bold colors and have found some really cool tint films that I think will look cool but don't want to make a mistake. Also if any of you have used any of these products please post up some photos. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by partlowr; 03-31-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:32 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

If its a metalized film then yes it may interfere with signals of all kinds....radio/GPS/Cellphone.....ultimately it will depend on how much the windshield is covering the device you want to use....keep in mind that signals are coming in from 365* in all directions most times, so having 180* blocked may lower the signal but you may not loose it completely...

I was looking in to the 3M black chrome tint for my truck but decided against it for that very reason. They even state it on their site:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive-Films/

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-31-2016, 11:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
If its a metalized film then yes it may interfere with signals of all kinds....radio/GPS/Cellphone.....ultimately it will depend on how much the windshield is covering the device you want to use....keep in mind that signals are coming in from 365* in all directions most times, so having 180* blocked may lower the signal but you may not loose it completely...

I was looking in to the 3M black chrome tint for my truck but decided against it for that very reason. They even state it on their site:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive-Films/
Good info, thanks for the link.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Registered

I found some that fades from just a dark smoke tint to a mirrored/reflective tint and it's available in 5 different color fade combos, I guess I will go with that instead.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:30 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Keep in mind that with reflective tint during the day the reflective is on the outside where the brighter light is, At night when its dark outside and you have a cockpit light on the reflective is on the inside and impossible to see out of... My house is tinted with gold reflective and at night you cant see out at all, But you sure can see in