Next Goodwin-Powered Platinum Edition Skater is in the Works >

Next Goodwin-Powered Platinum Edition Skater is in the Works

Notices

Next Goodwin-Powered Platinum Edition Skater is in the Works

Old 04-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
Has there been a turbo motor that's gone 600 hours without being opened up?
Me too. I'd think that 1100 may be able to do some hours?
Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
I hate the sound plain and simple. Boring and flat and I don't care to just hear turbo's whistle at high speed.

I don't hate merc but if I had the money and a choice I rather not use them and go with a great builder instead.
What ever makes the most power is what I would want and the turbos are going to win that for sure. Don't think anyone is going to build a better motor than Mercury for a long time.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
What ever makes the most power is what I would want and the turbos are going to win that for sure. Don't think anyone is going to build a better motor than Mercury for a long time.
Goodwin is making more power on pump gas and blowers.

Do I think turbos are great...of course. Do I think merc are cool...yup. If I had the check book I would still want neither.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Goodwin is making more power on pump gas and blowers.

Do I think turbos are great...of course. Do I think merc are cool...yup. If I had the check book I would still want neither.
Agreed. The Sterlings in Gone Again sound awesome.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pushrod engines are obsolete, you will never compete with an overhead cam turbo motor trust me i had tried and wasted a lot of MONEY. Just look around from jet ski motors to 1650 mercs and all real fast super cars no push rods the 1950s are gone.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Equalizer
Pushrod engines are obsolete, you will never compete with an overhead cam turbo motor trust me i had tried and wasted a lot of MONEY. Just look around from jet ski motors to 1650 mercs and all real fast super cars no push rods the 1950s are gone.

Not trying to win a race here.

Last I checked there are plenty reliable push rod blower motors run very respectable speeds just fine.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Your right there are good motors with push rods, lots and lots of them. almost all were push rods until about 4 years ago.

Truth is overhead cams are the way of the future. The number one failure on a pushrod motor was the valve train. Overhead cams greatly reduce that issue.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
Your right there are good motors with push rods, lots and lots of them. almost all were push rods until about 4 years ago.

Truth is overhead cams are the way of the future. The number one failure on a pushrod motor was the valve train. Overhead cams greatly reduce that issue.
Can't and won't deny that
Old 04-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy

Not necessarily superior when you consider size and weight.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

? The size and weight of overhead cams?
Many less parts, many less contact or friction points, many less items to fail.
Size wise not any bigger
Weight wise I never weighted all the parts of a overhead cam system to a Heavy duty push rod setup but I'm pretty sure the overhead cam setup is lighter in that manner also.

Biggest limiting factor has always been rpm wear and tear on the valve train in a boat.
Overhead cams really get rid of that issue or at least make that issue much less of a issue.

Every new car / truck manufacturer run overhead cams, because there more reliable and they can spin the rpm up for more peak power.
Motorcycles have been that way for years.
Even small engine stuff on higher end mowers are going that direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.