Notices

Replace 496 with 540 carb

Old 04-19-2016, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 496 with 540 carb

Hi,

I currently have Wellcraft 29 Scarab powered with Mercruiser 496. I have started thinking to update the boat with a 540 carb engine, and maybe later on add a supercharger or some other modifications providing more power on that new engine. I have couple of questions for you:

1. Can you recommend any good place where to buy this kind of engine? I guess its more cost effective to buy a complete "turn-key" engine than any partial package as I don't have any broken 540 to get all the additional parts from. I'm from north Europe where these engines are just not available.

2. Does a 540 have exactly the same engine mount locations than 496 so I don't need to relocate the engine mounts? Is it correct that actually all the big blocks 454, 496, 502, 540 have the same measurements when it comes to engine mounts?

Thanks in advance.