Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What's everyone doing about anchors? >

What's everyone doing about anchors?

Notices

What's everyone doing about anchors?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts
Default What's everyone doing about anchors?

I recently sold my 38' Fountain Lightning, and think I really took for granted how easy it was to get to the bow, and how nice having an anchor locker was. My new Nortech is an absolute pain to get to the bow on, and has no anchor locker. What is everyone doing for anchors? How are you storing them? There is a large compartment under the rear seat on my Nortech, but it's very nicely finished gel, and I can only imagine the hell an anchor beating around in there will do. I'm not even too excited about handling of an anchor and chain and shackles around paint, but I suppose some things can't be avoided. Just looking for ideas, solutions, storage components, etc.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my favorite things about going from my 27' fastech to the 31' fastech is the anchor locker. SOOOOOOO much easier. I have seen anchors stored in 5 gallon buckets and I kept it in a plastic rubbermaid tote in my 27' boat.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Progression made a custom box holds 2 anchors and line mounted in engine compartment, can also be removed when working on engine [ATTACH=CONFIG]554423[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails What's everyone doing about anchors?-img_20130518_120615_158.jpg  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

We use the box anchor. Size large. Folds flat for storage and comes with a storage bag n we keep it under rear seat.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have plenty of room to keep mine under the rear seat. When I get to my location, I drop it over the side so when I do have to climb on the bow I'm only carrying rope and not an awkward anchor, risking it getting dropped and messing up the paint. When We leave, I pull back up so its off the side of the boat and pull it in.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by sleev-les
I have plenty of room to keep mine under the rear seat. When I get to my location, I drop it over the side so when I do have to climb on the bow I'm only carrying rope and not an awkward anchor, risking it getting dropped and messing up the paint. When We leave, I pull back up so its off the side of the boat and pull it in.
Exactly what I do
Old 04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered

I also kept it under the rear seat on my 37 OL, but I first put 4 inches of foam matress in there and only had rope on my anchor, no chain, drop it over the side, walk the rope to the bow.
Mark
Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

I've got a locker but the largest anchor that will fit in there will not hold my boat in most conditions so it's pretty much useless. I keep the line and chain up there and the larger anchor in a compartment under my sun pad. At least then I am just having to lug the anchor up there and not 30 pounds of chain and line along with it. I have a 5000 pound carabiner attached to the chain so I can attach the anchor quickly with just one hand.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Depends on what type of bottom your anchoring in

Chain is ONLY for abrasion against sharp objects on the bottom

Letting out enough SCOPE is what sets and holds the anchor

They make protected anchor bags also for storage

One option for easier handling is an aluminum anchor like a fortress, with only line and at least 100', and a second set up for the stern with at least 50' of line.

Drop the front over the side, walk the line up to the bow, back up loosely letting out about 100' of line, throw the stern out, now SET the bow anchor, once hooked pull forward pulling back in maybe 50' of line, now SET the stern anchor. Keep both lines taughnt so they don't drag on the bottom.

(Legth of line depends on size of boat, more line for larger boat, more line also for more scope for easier setting, more line obviously for deeper water)
Old 04-21-2016, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have my anchor in a Rubbermaid bin with an old school life vest as padding. Launch from the side as stated and pull from the side.

I also have a rubber coated anchor and chain to help prevent dings and scuffs. being a lightweight 38' boat, the anchor for a 33' works just fine.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...-Chain&i=74286

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...id#reviewsInfo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.