Fountain, Baja, Donzi and Pro Line NEW OWNERS >

Fountain, Baja, Donzi and Pro Line NEW OWNERS

Notices

Fountain, Baja, Donzi and Pro Line NEW OWNERS

Old 05-05-2016, 09:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Not saying that any of these hulls are perfect and cannot be improved on but it would be difficult.

Since keel pads, notched transoms and steps, have any manufacturers actually come up with anything NEW for their deep vee mono hulls? They move the steps, variable deadrise, bigger/smaller keel pads, just fine tuning. The bigger advancements seem to be more in the way of construction techniques, materials and mechanical setups like x-dimension, props, gearing etc.

If you built a Fountain or a Donzi with the latest materials and construction techniques, power it up with the newest power plant, find the right drive and prop, would it be competitive with the opposition?

Seems the bigger changes aren't in the area of design but more the increasing number of CC's and cats.

I'm just thinking, a bit like boatnt above, has anyone done anything really new in the years these brands have been stagnant?

RR
Old 05-05-2016, 10:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I want the brands to come out and succeed just like everyone else. People want the newest and latest in safety, speed, interior etc when purchasing new. What is the incentive to purchase a new sport boat when a solid used boat can be had for 20-40% of a new one if nothing has changed on the new boat except interior and some color? Again, I understand what is being said about Cig and Formula but bear in mind when your on the lake how many new sport boats do you really see compared to used? Baja and Formula used very creative financing to get people into boats and flood the sport boat market. Those avenues have tighter regulations so will they be able to finance Joe blue collar on a 30' Outlaw like they did back in 04? It seems wake boats, center consoles, and open bow SUV style boats are the rage. Sportboats, unfortunately, have lost the attention of the next generation of boaters.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

The Donzi Classic line is a proven hull design very capable of running over 100 mph. I believe the 38 ZR and ZRC would still be competitive. I was disappointed that the single 27 ZR flopped. Maybe it could be improved on and resurrected. I'm not very familiar with the Fountain line-up. Baja makes a good boat but they really need to stop making wake board boats and ripping off Cigarette graphics. I believe all three brands have competitive hull designs in today's market.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The problem is the segment, just not in demand like it was.... Performance bowriders and cruisers are now and wake inboards. Also the eternally slug of economy hurts..
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
The problem is the segment, just not in demand like it was.... Performance bowriders and cruisers are now and wake inboards. Also the eternally slug of economy hurts..
That is the real issue. maybe they could update the Donzi and Fountain CC's to be less fish oriented.
But to think it will be the numbers it used to be is a pipe dream.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Custom Marine Group
Every time I see their name I think "leaky headers"...and then have to read it again. lol.

Originally Posted by rak rua
because after such a long absence from the market, they need some recognition......If it was me, I'd be pushing a Baja as the first new hull out of a mold simply because it would be the most price competitive product they have.
In the midwest, their name recognition hasn't suffered. To a lot of the uninformed, any sport boat is a "baja", just like in other parts of the country any offshore is a "cigarette", just like any dozer is a "caterpillar", any 4x4 is a "jeep", any tissue is a "kleenex"

I hate when casual onlookers at the gas station call my Sunsation a Baja. lol. Custom Marine Group might as well capitalize on that brand and name recognition. A lot of companies would kill for that.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:58 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

There used to be over 200 snowmobile manufacturers in the early 70's. Now (and for a lot of years) there are just 3, and 2 just started to share assembly line and various parts.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get your point but there are 4 snowmobile manufacturers , unless you aren't counting Polaris, ( I'm sure that will draw some heat !). And Artic Cat and Yamaha are sharing some technology. And I would hardly consider late model Fountains dated technology.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
There used to be over 200 snowmobile manufacturers in the early 70's. Now (and for a lot of years) there are just 3, and 2 just started to share assembly line and various parts.
And there used to be a dozen or so Republican Presidential candidates and now ......... oh, sorry.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:08 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by flatlanderbill
Get your point but there are 4 snowmobile manufacturers , unless you aren't counting Polaris, ( I'm sure that will draw some heat !). And Artic Cat and Yamaha are sharing some technology. And I would hardly consider late model Fountains dated technology.
Sorry Ski-Doo owners ! I forgot you ! (snowmobile joke - I usually target Arctic Cat)

I know, bad example. Just very hard for manufacturers of limited production runs to stay alive and profit when the economy, weather, and fads can change product want over night.

BTW: I'm a loyal Polaris blowhard. LOL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.