Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Props spinning in - docking tips? >

Props spinning in - docking tips?

Notices

Props spinning in - docking tips?

Old 05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Providing your boat is a side by side configuration, turning props in really shouldnt matter much. Use the sticks. Only when you have a stagger set up is that going to make a difference. I have full stagger, props spinning in and 41 ft. It's tough, especially with a side wind. Like someone said, practice practice practice. River currents, cross winds, etc. can throw you in weird positions.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
Are the docking manners worth the 1-2 MPH top end? Remember a PR is not a race

My opinion here, people seem to get hung up on this In vs Out thing as being all about the slight edge one might see in the top number. In the real world I believe it has more to do with the overall running characteristics of the given hull. My last three boats all turned In. A Velocity and two different Fountains. The Velocity and single step Fountain were test run turning out, just for chits, turning In felt better on both, docking was what it was, practice and seat time made things work. This one I have never tried it turning out, I doubt it would be any better than it is now. This one is no prize winner around the docks either, In that most of my boating day is spent away from a dock, I plan to leave as it is. Every boat is different, every boater is looking for something different. In may get you a few, out may make you look like a pro at the dock. Try both, one will be right for you.

Just remember that if you really are faster you can screw up several docking attempts before they get there.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 05-13-2016 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
Providing your boat is a side by side configuration, turning props in really shouldnt matter much. Use the sticks. Only when you have a stagger set up is that going to make a difference. I have full stagger, props spinning in and 41 ft. It's tough, especially with a side wind. Like someone said, practice practice practice. River currents, cross winds, etc. can throw you in weird positions.
Just add crash boxes and you will be busy in a staggered 41
Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Can you help me out there, for some reason my Ford Ranger isn't doing a good job getting the trailer out of the water. What's up?
Are your tires turning in or out? Add 2'' spacers to your tires that should help.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I turn my props in with boxes. Most of the time i dock it like a single engine boat using the steering wheel. Worst thing is trying to turn it around in a strong wind, With the props that far behind the boat and turning in its hard to get the front to come around.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
Can you help me out there, for some reason my Ford Ranger isn't doing a good job getting the trailer out of the water. What's up?
Convert it to DRW and all will be fine.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use one drive when coming in and treat it like a single engine boat. Coming in with 2 drives goes to fast. Come in forward just missing the dock with the bow then turn full lock props toward the dock and reverse brings the back in. The biggest problem is when someone on the dock wants to help me out and grabs the bow before I get the back slid in. When that happens its best to just shut it off, smile and throw somebody a rope to get the back pulled in.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine spin in and for the most part approach using one engine but when backing or spinning with both it helps to trim drives out just past neutral position. Also helps a little if you split the drives 6-8" so props are not dead even.

Why does a staggered configuration handle differently, does the CG moved forward change the "pivot" point?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:31 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Every single docking experience is unique but going slow never complicated them.