Notices

Apache in cuba.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:05 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Fuel prices in Havana. Just for the hell of it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2016, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bck
The owner states in some of the interviews that he has loved that boat since he saw it race when new and that's why he chose to rebuild it. He says it was completely torn down to the outer skin and recored. It had some sort of shock absorbing floor installed and something about titanium. Perhaps the floor is titanium? The seats are custom made Recaro covered with leather by Bentley. There is some big show that he hopes to have the boat at in spring of 17' I think. Ultimately he sees it in a museum.
Great! He has achieved his goal. Its already in a museum. Communist Museum= Enters as the best most beautiful and ends up withering away and abandoned. Don't worry they have excellent health care, it will be revitalized.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Very sad. I remember seeing this boat when it originally ran in Key West. Broken hearted.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by PigNaPoke
Thank you BCK.

first article roughly translated.

The Dusseldorf. entrepreneurs Roger Klüh (50) has only time until May to get his record boat from Cuba. Otherwise klüh a criminal proceedings for an offense against the U.S. export laws, warns his US lawyer Rebekah :Poston. The penalties ranged up to a million dollars and 20 years in jail.

The is only limited until May! Klüh: "The boat is still in Cuba because it has been severely damaged. And because of its 20 tonnes and 17 meters in length, it is already difficult to transport. Add to this the complicated legal problems."
Boat weighs 20 metric tons? That would be 44,000 pounds.
17 meters in length is almost 56 feet.......Anybody sure they aren't talking about a 45 Fountain?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I noticed a mistake like that when talking about the boat restoration. I figure it was a problem with the translation or metric conversion. They said 1100 tons of old coring was removed iirc
Old 12-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I noticed a mistake like that when talking about the boat restoration. I figure it was a problem with the translation or metric conversion. They said 1100 tons of old coring was removed iirc

No, that sounds right.... Apache uses concrete laden with lunar dust for coring. It's why they ride soooo good!
Old 12-17-2016, 09:46 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Speedracer29
No, that sounds right.... Apache uses concrete laden with lunar dust for coring. It's why they ride soooo good!
Good point. I forgot it's an Apache we're talking about here. Concrete and powdered lead.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:30 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Boat weighs 20 metric tons? That would be 44,000 pounds.
17 meters in length is almost 56 feet.......Anybody sure they aren't talking about a 45 Fountain?
Those numbers would be consistent with all the other exaggerations associated with that run.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PG-13
The reality of it is as follows. He attempted this little escapade and the Cuban Government got his crown jewels in a jar and his Apache. The issue is not the US or it's laws. It is Cuba that is toying with him. They want something and he just doesn't play ball. He has now hired a team of experts to get the boat. WOW. Cuba is full of experts; they come all the time on what they build and its no where near an Apache. I or 50 other individuals on here could have patched up that hull or water intrusions with 5200, plywood, and screws. Then here is the fork in the road. The Cuban government would allow for the boat to be towed to international waters. Transfer tow line to US vessel waiting and continue to the FL Keys for a crane and trailer at a boat yard. Hell I would have gone along just for the slow ride back. I would have taken a lot of pics. Its not every day that you can say that you finished ahead of an Apache. Think of all the tall tales many of use could have told on a slow ride back to the states. He could have rented a fishing party boat and about 50 of us could have fished and party the whole way there and back. Probably even needed a resupply ship for food liquor and fountain skanks. Maybe Obama will get it back for him.
I AGREE with most of this statement. And DO NOT agree with the so-called owners explanation. Anybody who is half-as wealthy as this guy, would NEVER leave something like this over there, and would have had this boat out of there, and somewhere else by now. And nobody, no matter how wealthy, would leave this boat there. US$25k in Cuba would get that boat out of there in plain daylight, not to mention 100 other ways to get sneaky about it.

There is more to this story. A lot more. And like every Apache story over the past few decades, I'm sure once we hear the "real" story, it'll make for some good reading, just like the old days. It would be cool for Speedonthewater to look into it.
Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

It would be cool if they looked into it and did a story but that'd be a bit like work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.