Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
What is the stupidest thing done IN your boat? >

What is the stupidest thing done IN your boat?

Notices

Old 06-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the stupidest thing done IN your boat?

Stupid & Funny - Last Fathers day weekend was a really busy weekend on Lake Minnetonka and finding a launch with available parking was sparse but we found parking in an area unfamiliar to us. The wife dropped me in the drink and I sat around ideling/waiting to pick her up. After a while of just ideling I needed to rev the engine because it started to run a bit rough. SO I sped out to the bay and back. When I returned back to the dock to pick up the wife I had 2 sherrif boats ahead of me and one behind me that I didn't know about. The one behind me had called in for help thinking I was trying to ditch him so they started off kinda pissed @ me. The told me I was being pulled over for noise polution, I thought they were kidding and just wanted to see the boat (I never hit more than 3000 rpm and have crossed paths with these guys a number of times without incident). The cop told me he felt the engine beating on his chest from about 100ft away and that they needed me to pull up to their headquarters (which I did not realize was next to the launch) to test the boat. All of this was happening while the wife and dog stood on the dock watching. Anyways, it took the cops about 90 min to find their sound level meter and measuring stick to comply with testing procedures and meanwhile I had made friends with the 5 cops down at the dock with me. When they finally got everything ready to test, my boat would not start...the starter had gone bad. Stupid - launching near the cop headquarters in a boat w/ 4" pipes straight out the back w/ no form of muffler. Funny - the cops could not test my boat and because I had befriended them, they let me go (but they got even watching me drag my boat from their dock back to the launch...they would not tow me, they did offer me a paddle though). Stupid - this triggered the cops to head out and test a lot of other boats, I heard they gave out about 50 tickets that day :-(
Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have nothing to add but that is typical Tonka cops for you. I use to snowmobile a lot down there as we had a friends farm right by the lake. Never would go over 55mph as they would hide and clock you in the channels. It got to a point I would put a go pro on my speedo so when stopped I could show them I wasn't speeding. I will say most were nice and let me off, I think they were checking for drunks more then anything
Old 06-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Too many dumb thinks to count...sorry.
I'd be typing all day long.
Hopefully some more by this weekend
Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Buying it.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Registered

I thought it would be fun to go chasing wakes as jet skiis do. I caught one off a pretty big boat, it probably launched me 10ft in the air and went at lleast 30 ft forward. That was all fun, then I looked over at the wife and realized that was about the stupidist thing I could have done.
Old 06-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottgjerdingen
Her name was Lola.....she was a dancer.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Putting props on wrong sides once for one......then Rebecca, Natasha, Geneva, Crystal and the worst of all Nicki the Skank whose 'presence only" cursed my Talon instantly. Once getting Nicki and her poor suitor off of my cat I promptly hit a submerged log shearing the drive almost completely off the midsection. Needless to say I have been skank free boating with no problems for almost two years.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Ya know, wood is the weirdest damn material. Put some water in it, it turns to mush. Leave it submerged in water and it becomes a rock. I dunno.

Anyway, dad found one of those submerged petrified tree stumps with his old 20' Maxum runabout and gouged the hell out of the hull. It leaked like a little, but wasn't really worth properly fixing so it'd get an annual epoxy patch and that worked until it didn't. Then he gave it to me. Hell ya, I'm single, 24, work had moved me to the lake house and dad gives me a free (leaky) boat. Life is good, right?

Didn't realize how bad it leaked. One day I park it at the party beach and go off drinking for a while and when I return it had sunk. Now it was pulled up to the beach, so it didn't sink very far, but I was lucky the breather wasn't shotgunning lake water.

Hell ya, my boat is cool, it came with a parking brake! Thanks dad! Went and drank some more beer, the day ended, I bilged/floated my semi-submersible Maxum and drove her home like a pro.

But the dumb thing, well the dumb thing is that I did it again the next day!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Her name was Lola.....she was a dancer.
Her? Ray Davies said Lola was a man!! Lol!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bulletbob
Putting props on wrong sides once for one......then Rebecca, Natasha, Geneva, Crystal and the worst of all Nicki the Skank whose 'presence only" cursed my Talon instantly. Once getting Nicki and her poor suitor off of my cat I promptly hit a submerged log shearing the drive almost completely off the midsection. Needless to say I have been skank free boating with no problems for almost two years.
Skanks are one of the best parts of boating.

It what separates us from the animals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.