Our declining hobby...sad days >

Our declining hobby...sad days

Notices

Our declining hobby...sad days

Old 06-17-2016, 10:09 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,235 Posts

And yet, despite the decline there are more go-fast boating events (poker runs, etc.) than ever. Funny.

There is no denying the decline. While the custom go-fast boat market lost a few players after the recession and now seems relatively stable and sustainable, the production-built performance boat market is still finding whatever new footing is there for it. Huge change.

But, Nor-Tech Sport 390 center console hull 100 was the one that went 101 mph and was at the Miami Show this year. Think about it. They've built 100 39-foot center consoles—I don't know how many of the smaller ones they built—since 2010. That's about 25 a year. Were they building a combination of 25 V-bottom sportboats and catamarans annually in the years prior?

Mystic built a handful of 50-foot catamarans before it introduced its center console last year, right? You probably knew about every one of them. Since then, the company has sold 25 center consoles and is finishing up hull No. 15.

No doubt there has been a seismic shift, a huge decline in the market. But performance-oriented center consoles have become not just a legitimate segment, but a driving segment of the market. Yes, it's changed and contracted—you'd have to be blind not to see it—for a host of different reasons. And yet, there's still life and the overall market is interesting and, for some builders, quite healthy.

Last edited by Matt Trulio; 06-17-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtransport
I am also lucky to have family that loves go fast boats. The other morning my wife was bringing my two kids to school and said maybe we should sell are big boat and buy a boat we could ski and fish from. My 12 year old daughter who is pretty quit and not out spoken told mom that she was a disgrace to the family! Me and my wife laughed about that one. I am raising some more kidds that can join our sickness. But is a great family sport. My 14 year old boy (going on 18) and his buddys are always excited to go boating.
Love it! lol.

Was out running errands last year with my daughter. Little did I know, she found the Sunsation brochure I had in the back seat (from back when they actually made sport boats....) and suddenly she pipes up "Daddy, we should get another boat for if ours breaks...I like this one!"

If only I had 36 SSR money, sweetie. haha.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:38 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtransport
I am also lucky to have family that loves go fast boats. The other morning my wife was bringing my two kids to school and said maybe we should sell are big boat and buy a boat we could ski and fish from. My 12 year old daughter who is pretty quit and not out spoken told mom that she was a disgrace to the family! Me and my wife laughed about that one. I am raising some more kidds that can join our sickness. But is a great family sport. My 14 year old boy (going on 18) and his buddys are always excited to go boating.
I'm a little jealous! My wife and 2 daughters don't care for loud exhaust and non-roomy go fast boats. Which is why we have a "family boat" with the biggest engine I could get in it and thru hull exhaust. It's not overly fast but it will touch 60 and it sounds fast!! And it pulls tubes and wakeboards.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Love it! lol.

Was out running errands last year with my daughter. Little did I know, she found the Sunsation brochure I had in the back seat (from back when they actually made sport boats....) and suddenly she pipes up "Daddy, we should get another boat for if ours breaks...I like this one!"

If only I had 36 SSR money, sweetie. haha.

I'm jealous there too! But I am thankful that my daughter who looks to be around the same age as yours loves boats and always has me looking at every boat with a cabin. She also always says Daddy we need to get a boat with a cabin with a bed for you and Mommy and 1 for me and sissy!! I can't complain since we do get out on the water every wknd, I get to go relatively fast and people think a go fast boat is coming until they see me!! LMAO
Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

think Jeep parts are nothing compared to boats, you ever price headers manifolds ? engines ?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotrodford
think Jeep parts are nothing compared to boats, you ever price headers manifolds ? engines ?
Knot is well aware of how much a 496 costs to rebuild. lol.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotrodford
Lots of other fun ways to flush any "excess" money you may have laying around.

That said, when I was in a hospital bed dying of kidney cancer 4 years ago I was not sitting in the bed wishing I had worked harder and had less fun.

UD
Attached Thumbnails Our declining hobby...sad days-img_3240.jpg   Our declining hobby...sad days-img_1865.jpg  
Old 06-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
If you want another hobby to break you buy a Jeep. I thought boat parts were expensive...
Just Empty Every Pocket.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Lots of other fun ways to flush any "excess" money you may have laying around.

That said, when I was in a hospital bed dying of kidney cancer 4 years ago I was not sitting in the bed wishing I had worked harder and had less fun.

UD
Glad you're still with us. Good luck!
Old 06-17-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Glad you're still with us. Good luck!
Let me be the first to tell you how good it is to be here with all you guys!

Your time here on the water with us is finite my friend....

UD
Attached Thumbnails Our declining hobby...sad days-screen-shot-2016-06-17-12.16.11-pm.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.