Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer >

Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer

Notices

Why go through a dealer instead of direct from the manufacturer

Old 07-06-2016, 03:43 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased my Renegade one year used from the original owner. The folks at Renegade treat me like I was the original owner. If I need anything they answer the phone and have helped me out instantly. No need for a middle man when you get awesome service like I do from folks at Renegade.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

One of my previous boats had a unique build. The bare fiberglass hull with fuel tank installed was sent to the dealer. I then met with the dealer for what I wanted and how it was rigged. They did a flawless job.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I understood it as they would sell direct if you lived outside a dealership area and Skip would give some type of kickback to the dealer nearest by as a consolation prize.

Biggest reason to go through a dealership is the trade/financing issues. If the boat needs major warranty work it would be returned to the manufacturer anyway.
My understanding is that today, Cigarette / Skip dictates the sale price / dealer profit margin. If I'm not mistaken there aren't many Official Cig Dealers out there anymore.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think most manufacturers are setup or have the resources to constantly offer tours, show potential customers every option available, every upholstery sample, powder coat color, and or answer every question possible. The majority of us hear are experienced boaters not novices so we can work off an order form w/ basic 1 liner info but a newbie would not be able to.

For instance Nor-Tech offers, center steer or Port steer, fold up seats or drop out bottoms. If you get center steer it's a 3 man helm but Port steer is a 2 seat helm. They offer a FLIR unit but no mention of the exact model # same w/ the stereo and speakers, no model, or sizes. How could someone envision all those different configurations let alone have a feel for them?

IMO buying through a dealer that works closely w/ a manufacturer (proximity a MAJOR +) is the best of both worlds. Not many stocking dealers these days but most have a boat on order, about to be delivered or a late model trade they can use as a reference not to mention previous build pics. The dealer resource, knowledge of available options, doable customization that may not be on the order form and their ability to answer most buyer questions is where I believe the dealer is the biggest asset to the manufacturer. Working together w/ the manufacturer also allows access to the production facility to see various models in different stages of completion.

How many of you here have built / bought a home just off plans w/o a similar model or design center to visit to get an idea of what the finished product will resemble? In my experience most consumers are touch / feel oriented they want to know exactly what they are opting for.

I'm very pleased w/ the path I went using SportBoats Marine who is a 30 min ride from Nor-Tech. John Kray is able to provide me w/ critical measurements, he sends me pictures and updates anytime he's there w/ a potential new customer, picking up a boat or checking on another customers boat. In all cases he's able to kill many birds w/ one stone (trip to factory). Terry Sobo is an active part of this communication chain but I assure you he couldn't provide progress reports to all the customers directly w/ as many boats and models they have in different stages of production at any given time.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Simple fact is that mfg'rs with a dealership network allow the builders to steer clear of the tire kicking wanna be's that consume precious time... That said, sign the contract with the appropriate down payment... and, once the payment clears the factory will gladly involve you directly in the build progress (you are now in the family so to speak).

On a high end build, you are going to fly your azz to the builder regardless of a dealer involvement.

.. as far as warranty, stock merc can go pretty much anywhere recognized (ei. merc racing authorized repair centers vs. stock production).... after the first year, large scale production boats that feature an accessory warranty can be deferred directly to the accessory manufacturer for coverage.

Personally, if I was building new, I would gain confidence in having the ability to have factory contact vs. always relying on a dealer. I want to know who is building the boat that could intimately cause me harm - LOL

Last edited by speicher lane; 07-07-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:54 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it was about service. I live in NJ and Skater is in Michigan. I could have gone direct but I ran the deal thru Coty Marine in NJ who I have bought thru in the past. Right now I have the boat in for regular maintenance issues. I get it back on the water in two days. Im not put in line behind other customers when they're busy. Being my season is May thru Sept I don't want to sit in a marina for 2 weeks.