Notices

Trim Tabs

Old 07-03-2016, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

When running, both trim and drive adjustments are best made with "taps". Learn that now. Also, do not take a hole shot with full throttle. Not good advice. I tuck drives and burry the tabs an accelerate to 3500. Ease back as the boat begins to plane. At the same time raise the tabs to neutral or all the way up. Trim the drives to neutral and enjoy the ride.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Good info about not using full throttle to get the nose down when you have big blocks.
My only experience is with the small stuff, i.e. 350 and 302 cubic inch motors.
My biggest boat was a 22 footer, and I presently own a 17 footer.
Sorry if I steered anyone wrong with my info.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly! I've seen lots of folks try to trim until the boat is where they want it, but then they've trimmed too far and they end up chasing the proper trim endlessly.

Hit the trim button on and off, and then wait to see what happens. Repeat if needed.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watch this YouTube video. ( Fountain Powerboats - Secret to Speed )
Old 07-05-2016, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you!!! I played with the tabs a lot this weekend. I was disappointed when I got the boat that it was so rough feeling in chop or waves. I got the perfect situation to try the tabs. Wind picked up and there about 3 foot waves. The tabs made it ride decent and much nicer to control.
My wife lold when I would stop and read the tips u all gave. Gettin on plane time was cut in half!!! Still have tons to learn.
Thank you again.

Ps. In regard to the tabs in the waves. My wife noticed how much nicer it was runnin. I said "stoppin to read isn't so funny now. Is it?" Then I had to switch to loud exhaust. So I didn't have to listen to the 5 minute response. WINNN!!!!!

Last edited by Uberlord; 07-05-2016 at 11:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Zack_Evans_6.7 (08-15-2021)