Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Baja 272 vs other boats (Cost, performance, capabilities) >

Baja 272 vs other boats (Cost, performance, capabilities)

Notices

Baja 272 vs other boats (Cost, performance, capabilities)

Old 07-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Registered

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

I agree about the formulas. Painting them makes them look much newer since the styling hasn't changed much.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 1990 250ES, which became the 272. It was a great boat. Stock 454 mag power, 62 mph. Took a pounding on Lake MI and never let me down. I think highly of Baja's and would certainly recommend the boat.

However, I'd spend the 20k on one now, use it, have fun for 2-3 seasons, make sure you like it and save up money for a different boat that is faster.

But then, my mindset was to keep stock power to be reliable. So, a twin engine boat with more mild power gets you more speed, and you are on the water more without spending huge money on motors. Unless you do the work yourself, that part can add up. Even parts are not cheap.

If you're just looking for speed for power, it's hard to beat a Fountain hull. If you don't need a cabin at all, that's a good way to go. You can find good deals on 27 Fountains here and there, just be sure to buy a stepped hull. 25-27k can get you a 27 Fountain with 502 and you're at 70 mph with reliable power without dumping big bucks into it to get there.

You can put a stereo in anything And you might be able to find one with that done as well.

Last edited by 32fever; 07-07-2016 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

I have this one here in Georgia for sale. super clean and ready to go.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...er-o65478.html
Old 07-08-2016, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Donzi1979
After owning a Donzi 26 zx for a few years I can tell you it fits the criteria your looking for. When mine was Procharger it would run in the low 80's ( approx 625 hp) It's more than capable in some ruff water espically inland lakes, within reason it s not a 41 Apache ! It's not the fastest hull but is built like tank and will out run most Bajas with similar power and size. It serves well as a performance boat that works with a small family like mine.
Absolute drool. Easy to throw boost on it, where you running a stock 496 with a procharger or?

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
How bout a 28' Sunsation. May be hard to find one for 25K but nice solid boat with good speed.
I have looked for them, they just don't seem to be a lot of choices. Love the lines tho.

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Have you looked at any West coast boats?

OSO is predominantly an East coast site so you don't really hear to much about West Coast stuff here.

You'd expand your available product, but you are asking a lot for 25K.

Uncle Dave
Absolutely, makes no issue to me shipping one from Havasu or something like that. I have found that Havasu craigslist and Lake of Ozarks craigslist is the goldmine of power boats for the most part. I did want to stay fresh water for the obvious reasons even tho eventually... at some point it would get some salt on it. Just nice to be the first one for the maintenance aspect of it.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32fever
I had a 1990 250ES, which became the 272. It was a great boat. Stock 454 mag power, 62 mph. Took a pounding on Lake MI and never let me down. I think highly of Baja's and would certainly recommend the boat.

However, I'd spend the 20k on one now, use it, have fun for 2-3 seasons, make sure you like it and save up money for a different boat that is faster.

But then, my mindset was to keep stock power to be reliable. So, a twin engine boat with more mild power gets you more speed, and you are on the water more without spending huge money on motors. Unless you do the work yourself, that part can add up. Even parts are not cheap.

If you're just looking for speed for power, it's hard to beat a Fountain hull. If you don't need a cabin at all, that's a good way to go. You can find good deals on 27 Fountains here and there, just be sure to buy a stepped hull. 25-27k can get you a 27 Fountain with 502 and you're at 70 mph with reliable power without dumping big bucks into it to get there.

You can put a stereo in anything And you might be able to find one with that done as well.
Most work is done myself, its nice to know owners of boat shops that I can use their hoists for an engine swap. Otherwise... still have 20k in Matco tools from turning wrenches on GTRs, STi, Evo, Porsche 996 & 997. (I don't miss it lol) I've only found very few fountain 27s that a, typically are in the 35k range from what I've found. Or way more with twins. Always a Fountain fan.... just finding them has been difficult. Def one to consider. Goal was single engine, reliable yet powerful. Staying away from an all out race motor, rather a mild build and possibly boost on a low settings should hypothetically be the move. Proper maintenance is typically the key and building it right the first time. Cutting corners = more time fixing ****.

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I have this one here in Georgia for sale. super clean and ready to go.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...er-o65478.html
Lanier? Oddly looks familiar.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

yes it has been on Lanier for the last several years. it is here at my shop now in Clermont just north of Gainesville.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Bajas are a slow hull, takes alot of hp to go fast with a 272 or a 25 outlaw. In stock form IE 502mpi the 272's run 62/63 GPS, alot of guys that own them claim stupid speeds from dream meter, they take alot of hp to go fast. That said they are a straight bottom, you wont flip one turning unless you do something really stupid. After I re-rigged mine (got rid of the extra 100 feet of wire stapled to the transom, re-enforced the flimsy gas tank cover, screwed gas tank down where all the factory screws missed the stringers, bolted seats down better, glassed all the drain holes in bilge so the stringers wouldnt rot out,put in real mounts etc it was a pretty solid boat, fwiw, Smitty

I have a 272 Baja with a Blown 468 that runs in the high 70.s no problem...But i have a old Bravo one and Prop and a nothing better than barely slick hull it runs great...
Old 07-09-2016, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Check out the Velocitys in the classifieds. A 280 or 290 will easily run 70 with a 502 or 496 HO. Deep cockpit and nice cabin.

Padraig
Old 07-10-2016, 09:42 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunsation also makes a 32 single engine. Another option that was made in GA is Joker power boats. Brian made an awesome 28' that really handled rough water.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

There are some decent Powerquests in OSO classifieds that meet your criteria. The company is out of business but made solid boats. A 28' Nordic Heat is a nice boat and many available on the west coast. The Velocity 290's (27' hull) mentioned are another good choice. The Velocity 280 is really a 26' hull. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.