Like Tree5Likes

Dyno'ed the 512 yesterday

Old 07-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Dyno'ed the 512 yesterday

Hello all.

went to the dyno yesterday for the moment of truth.

Engine is a 512CI, pump gas, 9.5;1 BBC.

I could barely sleep the night prior as I was reviewing all my stuff to ensure I was ready. This readiness process is no joke and I've never had anything on a dyno before, so I wanted to be ready and prepared.

I built a "chassis" to carry the dry sumo tank and the ignition because I wanted to use as much of my stuff as I could (primarily my ignition)

Couple things on my mind were:
-how the Daytona ignition would be to set up and perform. The guys had an MSD digital 7 box on the dyno, but I wanted to use my ignition and it works without a hitch!
-how well we engineered the dry sump system as I pieced it together from several sources and I made the pump bracketry in my barn. 5 stage barnes pump, Saldana tank and a C-line pan. The system worked great (16 QTS or oil) we may put an even lower psi spring in the pump. We dialed it back some but the psi was still on the high side. Once in the boat and through the coolers and plumbing, we will adress that.

Once we warned up the engine and seated the rings, we checked and adjusted hot lash and adjusted the timing.
We made some pulls and then we pulled the breathers and set up the Peterson vacuum relief valve and blow off valve. We set up the relief to maintain roughly 5" vacuum.

Here's where we ended up at:
Old 07-23-2016, 09:04 AM
Registered

Very nice ! Gotta love unistrut
Old 07-23-2016, 11:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Some video:
Old 07-23-2016, 12:06 PM
Registered

Man that's one healthy BB!! I'm building a 512 for my 79 Camaro, what rotating assembly did you use for you build?
Old 07-23-2016, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks good nice brackets you made. Hard work pays off. Good job. Did you try anymore than 34* timing? Good power.

Last edited by 14 apache; 07-23-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

We didn't put more than 34 in it. We probably should have tried 36.

We made 10 pulls, including a step pull and a pull with the K&N arrestor on it to see if we lost anything with it.

My buddy billy, who builds our engines and was with me yesterday thinks we could have scratched 700 with a bit more timing, a little less oil psi and a little more crankcase vacuum.

With all the bad rapping the K&N stuff gets, I can say the engine didn't lose a lick with the arrestor on it. I was happy about that, because I need to have a short arrestor to clear the hatch. This one is a 14" by 3" element.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jonesyfxr View Post
Man that's one healthy BB!! I'm building a 512 for my 79 Camaro, what rotating assembly did you use for you build?
Thanks

The reciprocating assembly is overkill for what I'm doing. Kryptonite crank, Carrillo rods with Carr bolts and CP Pistons.

Last edited by vintage chromoly; 07-23-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-23-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered

you gonna tune the engine in the boat?those afr's are a touch lean on the high end.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by sutphen 30 View Post
you gonna tune the engine in the boat?those afr's are a touch lean on the high end.
Absolutely.
The headers are being modified at present and are getting O2 bungs for full time AFR meter as well.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Registered

Nice numbers, I'm assuming this is going in a 24 Pantera? Should be a fun ride.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser