Notices

What's the secret?

Old 08-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like everyone is saying on here, it just depends on what you're willing to sacrifice, for us...no kids (yet), no mortgage, no school loans or truck payments, so I upgraded our boat to a 28zx scorpion (whippled). Right now, the boat is good for us, the next jump will be over $100k. We'll use the sales from this boat and finance the rest, once the next boat is paid for, we might upgrade again. Baby steps...until we get to where we want to be. With the upgrades usually comes increased maintenance, storage expenses, etc. so all of that needs to be taken into consideration before you upgrade.

Don't look at boats as an investment either, it's an experience. You'll never get out of it what you put into it.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Lightbulb

At this point I have a $150K Flatdeck. It is what it is.
At some point you just gotta say **** the cost. We overnight Friday-Sunday, no video games just good family time spent together.
Pretty soon they`ll be teenagers and spending time with their parents isn`t going to be cool anymore. Maybe then I can start saving $$ again.. If I drop dead tomorrow a couple extra bucks in the bank don`t do me a bit of good.

This $hit is PRICELESS!!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
At some point you just gotta say **** the cost. We overnight Friday-Sunday, no video games just good family time spent together.
Pretty soon they`ll be teenagers and spending time with their parents isn`t going to be cool anymore. Maybe then I can start saving $$ again.. If I drop dead tomorrow a couple extra bucks in the bank don`t do me a bit of good.

This $hit is PRICELESS!!

The beauty of it is, if the kids like the boat as I'm sure they do yours, they'll spend all kinds of time with you as teenagers! Mine do, 15 and 17.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ POWERPLAY
I'm going to tell you right now, some of these numbers are insane. These are personal choices to live at the very top of the spectrum.
Real life breakdown of 99% of us.

Here is my breakdown:

Boat: $400/mo
Truck: $400/mo
Ins: $110/mo during operational months
Fuel: $3000/year
Cleaning supplies and season prep: $500 maybe?
Storage: Have a barn

I wouldn't take advice from people who's truck payment is over 1000 a month... those people are in a different class.

This is for a weekend warrior working a normal work week. Could be more, could be less.

This is with a 33 powerplay, 525 efi's, and a 2016 Silverado.

Like Soldier4402 posted, it can be done at any budget. you can spend 30k a year boating or 2k. All it takes is a budget and sticking to it.
Kind of what I was getting at. Like you said some people decide to live a the high end, and either A they can afford it or not, and B good on them. But I don't want to seem like a dick, but I get chuckle when people that are able to live at that end talk like that's the average, in reality that's not what it is for the 99% of us out there. If you can afford 4-5k a year on insurance for one item great, but my home owners, three cars, trailer and boat barely add up to that a year in insurance.

It also depends on where people decide to allocate their money. Some people do nothing at all and have a huge home, some people live modest drive old cars, but have a 100k boat. For myself with dual incomes I know if we didn't have a camp, extra car, boat, take vacations, I could probably eek out a 100k boat. To buy 150k boats, and dump 20-30k into boating a year is first off a choice(again not good or bad) and second just isn't the norm.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Well your at the right site to be asking these questions! But I will say this! I'm 32 wife is 29 and I have a 3 year plan to have a nice 32/37 Active 06' and newer. Looking at spending 60-120k maybe more if budget is there. BUT it will take me 3 years to "prepare" all house work/projects completed. Truck is payed off. Which is a whopping $600+ insurance a month. Credit is spot on which has been since day 1 (most important). But it hasn't been easy getting to just this point. Wife diagnosed with a sickness a few years back and was single income for a little over 2 years. And my boats (2 at the time) sat while I worked my ass off. But now have 3 boats. All sub 10k. But in 2 years truck is payed off and save for a year. Sell the 3 that I have and boom start looking for a nice 37 with a good 30k to put down. Hopefully Cash Bar still has his but doubt it! (My wife wants a Cat anyways) House is set on a 15 year by then and payed off by the time I'm 50 while having what I want. Plus I have a great 401k that I'll never have to touch. Hopefully my situation minus the kiddo relates to OP Situation. Our household pulls in almost 150k a year combined and will be much more in 3 years. Not many will throw that out there. But I have nothing to hide. I do well for the trade I'm in. Good luck in your search! Many great people on this site to give you motivation.
*** one more thing.... Stick to one hobby! It's hard I know.
4 Bikes ( 3 are mine 1 is hers)
2 street trucks ( 1 hers and one mine)
1968 Dodge Charger. Also hers...
Boats see avatar
I have a lot of hobbies but a great wife who enjoys the same things.
Anybody needs AC Work around Baltimore hit me up! Will work for boat parts!

Last edited by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS; 08-04-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL

This $hit is PRICELESS!!

Exactly! It is all about the mammaries! I mean, memories! OK, both!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Exactly! It is all about the mammaries! I mean, memories! OK, both!
Some of my fondest mammaries are of memories.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Secret, (for regular guys), two jobs or a wife with good job and live in modest house , alot of my friends live in 250,000 to 350,000 $ houses, along with 30 year mortgage. I live away from town in country, spent 100,000 on my house and 3.5 acres, have dumped alot of money into my house and buildings once I had that mortgage paid off but zero debt. I work on a few boats for guys in late 20's/early 30's, driving new duramax and driving 50,000$plus boat, not sure how they are swinging it on a 20$ a hr job BUT most of them DON'T have children.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting into one of these boats is like getting into a committed relationship, you should be serious about it or it won't last. Its not like going down to a dealer and signing for a new Corvette.

It's a toy, so I pay cash. I do my own work on it. Preventative maintenance goes a long way. I make sacrifices in other areas for the love of boating.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Other thing is limit your hobbys to what you really want, when I was younger I was stupid into everything, had a mud bogger that cost 100$ a second to run, supercharged Baja, drag car, dirt bikes, new snowmobiles, street bike, hot rods , helped a circle track team, project cars etc,new duramax every two years etc. sold off most of it and got hobbies down to snowmobiling and boating, started driving a beater and paid off a 08 Duramax, kept it and use it only for towing. Was at a point where I worked full time and worked at business on top of that more than full time and had just way too much stuff that I was constantly ordering 100$ of $ worth of parts for that ended up sitting on shelf in the boxes because I had to work so much to pay for stuff I didnt have time to finish or use it, kinda stupid to spend 10,000$ on motor parts for a mud bogger and then not be out boating or mud bogging because nothing was finisihed and no time to use it and had much more fun out boating vs standing around with a bunch of hill billy's tearing up the mud!. Our boating season is short so I managed to always have the boat running every summer but again, got crazy buying stuff for it in quest to run fast and fix all the broken parts constantly