Notices

Shopping for older boat

Old 08-03-2016, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for older boat

I am looking at a 1989 formula 357 with twin 540ci 575hp 8.9 litre mercs. #3 drives. Looks very clean condition, good trailer. 300 hours on boat and motors. I would get the boat surveyed to confirm. A little bigger boat than I want. I am capable of doing my own wrenching. Have proper tow vehicle too. Boating the Great Lakes. Any input would be much appreciated.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 234 Likes on 164 Posts

had one with 485 hp TRS drive. 63-65 mph, so my guess would be...70 mph? nice big hull, roomy compared to many other 35, solid ride, ahead of thir time with curved glass windshield wich i really appreciated! sold mine for 27 k with trailer and fully rebuilt engines and tranny, in 2011... LOTS of room in front of engine to work! sea trial before you pay to make sure it not only runs well on trailer, wich i did not do unfortunatly... !!!
Old 08-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32 View Post
had one with 485 hp TRS drive. 63-65 mph, so my guess would be...70 mph? nice big hull, roomy compared to many other 35, solid ride, ahead of thir time with curved glass windshield wich i really appreciated! sold mine for 27 k with trailer and fully rebuilt engines and tranny, in 2011... LOTS of room in front of engine to work! sea trial before you pay to make sure it not only runs well on trailer, wich i did not do unfortunatly... !!!
Thanks good info. I plan to sea trial.