Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/340315-buying-boat-canada-bringing-usa-i-learned-quite-bit.html)

phil_p999 08-15-2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by stimleck (Post 4471232)
with your money worth 30% more and boats here similarly priced its well worth it

Most Candians have been selling their boats in US funds at the market value to capitalize on the exchange rate. That's exactly what I did with my last boat.

Plum_Crazy 09-23-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by phil_p999 (Post 4471150)
I have brought three boats into Canada from the US over the past couple of years and it's quite easy coming this way. Basically pull up to the customs office and show proof of the sale (bill of sale, internet posting, etc) and pay the taxes and was on my way.

I did look at using a customs brokerage to handle everything but it seemed more difficult than handling it myself. The first boat was shipped by a towing company and I met him on the US side to square up and tow it across the border.

Phil

I'm confused, the OP said he paid no taxes. However, you said you did pay taxes? How much in terms of percentage?

soinc 09-23-2016 11:22 AM

Phil_p99 is Canadian.

We pay taxes at the border not the Secretary of sate (in the your state of berthing).
To go from Canada to the USA you need the manufacture's first title
and the manufacture's certificate of origin,If you really want it to go supper smoothly.
Get the copy of Certified check, Wire transfer or the receipt (notarized receipt is better).

Make your Exchange work for you!
Cheers.

ICDEDPPL 09-23-2016 02:21 PM

1st was that the owner from Canada can't bring the boat to the US to sell. He can bring it to the border but you as the buyer must bring it into the US
I wouldn`t mention anything about a sale.. I`m going to the US to go boating ..bye!

phil_p999 09-23-2016 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy (Post 4484386)
I'm confused, the OP said he paid no taxes. However, you said you did pay taxes? How much in terms of percentage?

We pay %13 on declared Canadian value. If I buy a boat in the US for 100k the day I show up to the border with it, whatever the exchange rate is they convert it over and you pay tax on that amount. If it's 1.30 than I would be paying tax on 130k.

Craney 09-25-2016 12:13 PM

ttt

Plum_Crazy 09-25-2016 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by phil_p999 (Post 4484590)
We pay %13 on declared Canadian value. If I buy a boat in the US for 100k the day I show up to the border with it, whatever the exchange rate is they convert it over and you pay tax on that amount. If it's 1.30 than I would be paying tax on 130k.

Wow, I guess you gotta pay for that free health care somehow.

In Minnesota, we don't pay any tax on used boats!

jeff32 09-25-2016 04:13 PM

Once the boat is in canada, when selling again but in the same provine, there is no taxes to add between individual, but there is 15% if the seller is a company...

phil_p999 09-25-2016 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by jeff32 (Post 4484977)
Once the boat is in canada, when selling again but in the same provine, there is no taxes to add between individual, but there is 15% if the seller is a company...

Maybe in the Québécois but not in Ontario. We get raped every chance the government gets when financial transactions happen! It's BS

max930 09-25-2016 05:37 PM

First taxes are different over duty and tariffs. Some states have agreements with US Customs to collect their taxes. So depending the location you cross, you could be dinged the state sales tax at the border. A Canadian could sell the boat in the US technically. But to get it properly registered in a state or even with the coast guard, you need the import paper work from US customs, things like the EPA compliance stuff. If you don't and get stopped on the water, its all kinds of criminal charges and fines. If you buy from a Canadian in the US, you still have to take the boat out of the US and then properly import it to be legal.

Canada customs can collect sales tax for all the provinces along the border and federal tax (GST). Hence why most provinces are using the combined federal and provincial HST tax scheme. Its easier for Canada Customs to collect and remit taxes to the provinces. But in provinces like BC with separate taxes, on boats and cars, the border just collects the GST and you pay the province when you register.

A Canadian can import vehicles into the USA. But you need to be a legal US resident.