Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit. >

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit.

Notices

Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Buying a boat in Canada and bringing to the USA....I learned quite a bit.

I just bought a boat in Canada and was bringing it back to South Carolina. I read a number of posts and thought that I was in the clear but decided to call US customs just to be sure. I learned a few things, 1st was that the owner from Canada can't bring the boat to the US to sell. He can bring it to the border but you as the buyer must bring it into the US. If the boat, motor and trailer were built in the US, there are no duties or taxes to bring it back to the US if YOU are the one bringing it in. If you hire a transporter, the entire deal changes with Customs into a commercial import. If you are personally not with the boat and hire someone to bring it in, US Customs then wants you to hire an import broker to handle the importing of the boat and the entire deal turns into a commercial import. You'll then be required to pay import fees as well as brokerage fees on top of the transport fees. Unfortunately, US Customs didn't inform me of this until my transporter tried to bring the boat into the US. There are no brokers available to help you on the weekends due to their accounting process so Customs pretty much told me that I would have to wait until Monday to get the boat into the US. I called the Customs supervisor and was given one last piece of information that would make it possible for the boat and driver to enter the US with no taxes or duty or broker involved, get a temporary Durable Power of Attorney for your transporter which is the equivalent to you being there. Making a long story short, after being held up at the border for 3 hours, I got a Power of Attorney for the transporter and they were able to move forward. Thanks to the folks at BA's Transport for helping make it all happen.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:12 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks for the heads up for those that might need this information one day. I too regularly encounter an issue where I ask a bunch of questions yet somehow there is always a detail that someone in the know didn't bother to pass along to me!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice new ride Lee. Hope you get to enjoy it! You looked funny yesterday leaning over the dash in an attempt to get it to plane with a 32* prop. You will never need to put 110 gallons of fuel in that beast.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

We ran around all day on just a bit over 1/4 of a tank. I think that I'll start out with just 1/2 tank from now on. It doesn't like to come out of the hole with the 32 but the boat loves that prop after it rolls over.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:49 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have brought three boats into Canada from the US over the past couple of years and it's quite easy coming this way. Basically pull up to the customs office and show proof of the sale (bill of sale, internet posting, etc) and pay the taxes and was on my way.

I did look at using a customs brokerage to handle everything but it seemed more difficult than handling it myself. The first boat was shipped by a towing company and I met him on the US side to square up and tow it across the border.

Phil
Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing but a hassle going into Canada. Went with a buddy about a month ago with his cash spent a hour or so with the customs *******s searching my truck inside out. Not worth it
Old 08-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ospreyproduction
We ran around all day on just a bit over 1/4 of a tank. I think that I'll start out with just 1/2 tank from now on. It doesn't like to come out of the hole with the 32 but the boat loves that prop after it rolls over.
I could hear you out there. That 525 sounds great. You had to be rollin. I was doing 65 mph+ and saw you go thru the gap wayyyyy ahead of me. Impressing the soon to be son in-law I assume. I can run 2 days on 110 gallons. Enjoy!

Last edited by bulletbob; 08-15-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So lets see the new boat of yours!
Old 08-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with your money worth 30% more and boats here similarly priced its well worth it
Old 08-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I live about 1.5 hours from the border. Never had a problem crossing with a boat or just in a vehicle. We used to go to Georgian Bay diving and boating, did that for about 15 years. We also have crossed many time with dogs as we were going to a show. Canadian custom personal have always been professional and pleasant.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.