Black Thunder Lives Matter >

Black Thunder Lives Matter

Notices

Black Thunder Lives Matter

Old 08-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 374 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats Jason and Dennis can't believe how far the boat has come from the first time we ran it here in CA. You and your dad have done something I don't believe that anyone understands. I was floored by that last run it was amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
Let me stress that I'm in no way shape or form taking away what they have accomplished. But after so many hull modifications, done , by I assume themselves, is the boat really still a " black thunder" ? They should seriously consider building there own boats. It very well is obvious it takes a lot more than just horse power to achieve those insane numbers. Black Thunder " parvey edition"!!
I'm certain they have done a ton of bottom blueprinting. However, they called it a day on Saturday with 153 mph run. Came back out on Sunday and ran 165 mph. More than the bottom I would say!!!!!! Consider this. That 165 mph run is the 3rd fastest "official" v bottom run ever I believe.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by benjen
Haha. Last year maybe, but this year no way anyone that knows what a Black Thunder is and that 165 is absolutely haulin' the mail knows this boat and the name Parvey.

Sure everyone knows a Black Thunder is condo sized an runs about 1/2 of what the Parvey's boat does!
Old 08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Bostonirish
Let me stress that I'm in no way shape or form taking away what they have accomplished. But after so many hull modifications, done , by I assume themselves, is the boat really still a " black thunder" ? They should seriously consider building there own boats. It very well is obvious it takes a lot more than just horse power to achieve those insane numbers. Black Thunder " parvey edition"!!
That's speculation. We don't know if it's radically faster than a non modified bottom BT or not.

Perhaps BTs have a really efficient hull design. We just don't know because none have been radically like this one. Most were saddled with bravos and were quite heavy 46s.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what they did, that is an impressive number. Congrats to those two on a phenomenal accomplishment. Got me thinking there is hope my 36 Baja could actually see 75 mph...
Old 08-31-2016, 12:24 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks again everyone for the kind words! I'm still digging up some photo's and going through on-board video's and hope to have them posted this week.

We were thoroughly pleased with the 165mph, and we were not expecting that at all. As many of you saw, our first run did not go as planned. As a result, we decided to be conservative and slowly ramp up our runs while getting a feel for the boat. 2nd run was 142, 3rd run was 151, 4th run was 159, with a final 5th run of 165mph.

After reading through this thread, I want to touch on a few things that have been brought up:

1. Shootout vs Kilo: As Doc J said, a kilo and a shootout are two different animals. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I will say, what Forehand did in Sgro's 180 kilo boat is nothing short of amazing. I do not think we will attempt this feat.

2. Hull Info: The Black Thunder was an excellent boat to start with. We use the same layup schedule that any other Black Thunder is built with (Baltek AL600 is used to core the entire boat with bi- and tri- directional glass). We have modified some items on the pad, a few lifting strakes, and the transom notch. The step placement & shape, as well as the deadrise remain the same. Our boat ran a best of 99mph with NA 750's (this is back when prop and skeg technology was not as good either). I cannot guarantee this, but I think the 43GT with modern prop and drive technology, along with a few tweaks would be capable of 100mph. FYI, Black Thunder has a bare 43 GT hull sitting in their shop that is setup for 700's and 6's.

3. Powertrain: The boat currently has motors that we built with the help of a couple engine machine shops local to MN (Wheeler Racing and R&R Performance). The motors are 572's with stock Dart Pro 2 Heads. The induction package consists of Holley EFI with PSI 206B Screw Compressors, as well as Intercoolers that we built. Putting the power to the water, we have #6 drives worked over by Matt @ TNT with Velvet Drive Transmissions provided by Bob Teague. We would also like to give a shout-out to Ekvall Engineering for their machining/milling expertise with various projects of ours.

All in all, we had a great time at the shootout this year. Aside from the racing, it was so great to catch up with so many friends at the different parties, and on the docks as well. Until next year!

Last edited by Coolerman; 08-31-2016 at 02:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:09 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Photo By Jeff Helmkamp
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558904[/ATTACH]

Photo By Lake Girl (Amber Grisham)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558905[/ATTACH]

Photo By Shoot 2 Thrill (Pete Boden)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558906[/ATTACH]

Photo From Speed On The Water (Photo By Jason Johnson?)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558907[/ATTACH]

Photo From Speed On The Water (Photo By Jason Johnson?)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558908[/ATTACH]

Photo By Tristan Collins
[ATTACH=CONFIG]558909[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Black Thunder Lives Matter-jeff-h-2016-shootout.jpg   Black Thunder Lives Matter-lake-girl-shootout-2016.jpg   Black Thunder Lives Matter-pete-boden-1-shootout2016.jpg  

Black Thunder Lives Matter-sotw1-2016-shootout.jpg   Black Thunder Lives Matter-sotw2-2016-shootout.jpg   Black Thunder Lives Matter-tristan-2-2016-shootout.jpg  

Last edited by Coolerman; 08-31-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:24 AM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for the info. Congrats again! Serious numbers for ANY boat. Hats off
Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for info and thanks for coming to the shootout!!!!!

Everyone was rooting for you guys and as always you didn't disappoint. It's the competitors like you guys that make the shootout so special.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Can you imagine the bar stool racing conversations:

Yeah, my dad has a Black Thunder that runs 165 mph!
Better yet: "I have a beer fridge and hot pocket cooker that runs 165 mph"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.