Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I pledge to not drink while operating a boat >

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Notices

I pledge to not drink while operating a boat

Old 09-03-2016, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

We know what some of you mean when you say just going to have one beer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]559001[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails I pledge to not drink while operating a boat-image.jpeg  
Old 09-03-2016, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did a lot of stupid stuff in boats, on bikes, sleds, and cars when drinking. I was a "weekend" drinker and was brought up around everyone doing just as I did so I never gave it a thought. Not afraid to admit I had a couple dwai's and a bwai (all years and years ago, and all separated by years, sometimes 10 or more). I never got into any accidents and never wrecked anything, so I figured hey, I must be ok. I always thought I could drive and dock a boat better with a good buz on than most can sober. I quit drinking a year and 5 months ago. Since then I haven't gotten into a fight, wrecked or blown anything up, or woke up with an ugly chick. Not to mention no hangovers, and the great feeling knowing if I got pulled over I am good to go.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I only drink when I boat. I go to the gym 8am sat and sun morning. Wash, fuel, load and splash by 12. Run 100+ miles an outing at 80 mph+. I run 15 to 20 miles at 80+. Stop to let motors cool and have a Corona lite ( maybe 4 beers total). Spend the next 3 to 5 hours running and letting motors cool. Then do it again. Back at home by 6 at latest. Gym the next morning and repeat process again. Been following the same procedure for over 10 years and will carry on.

P.S. I do know a lot of alcoholics that use their boats as a floating platform to drink on. I run more miles in one day than they do in 3 months and we live on a lake.LOL
Old 09-03-2016, 04:11 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've boated close to 40 years and owned 6 boats, most of it on LOTO and some in the Ft. Myers area and I've had a crazy amount of fun and met tons of great people who some are close friends now.

I used to have a beer or two and I mean one or two on my boat, but I haven't had a beer my boat or on anyone's boat in years, it's gotten too busy and crowded, the danger factor has increased in the last few years, even being on someone's boat who's had too much to drink or doesn't know what he's doing is life threatening.

My comments are just my opinions and aren't directed at anyone or anything specific, but I know it might be a good idea for every boat owner to look himself in the mirror before he takes his boat out and recite "get everybody home safe"........then go out and have fun.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Banned

I'm fairly librarian in my views. My upbringing, learned to weigh the consequences before doing something. We have a general idea of right and wrong, what's legal or not. As we the people don't have to be experts. Just some things you know you can't do. Some things are grey areas. On those research it, can't find an answer from government sources, ask a lawyer. Like here you need a separate stateroom and head, plus you need to be at anchor to drink on a boat. But we've checked with local law enforcement and they'll turn a blind eye, like fishing and having a few beers. Just don't get drunk. Don't do it where lots of other people can see. They more target kids partying VS responsible adults.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 491 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by max930
I'm fairly librarian in my views. My upbringing, learned to weigh the consequences before doing something. We have a general idea of right and wrong, what's legal or not. As we the people don't have to be experts. Just some things you know you can't do. Some things are grey areas. On those research it, can't find an answer from government sources, ask a lawyer. Like here you need a separate stateroom and head, plus you need to be at anchor to drink on a boat. But we've checked with local law enforcement and they'll turn a blind eye, like fishing and having a few beers. Just don't get drunk. Don't do it where lots of other people can see. They more target kids partying VS responsible adults.
Interesting on the legal side, ".......you need a separate stateroom and head.........need to be at anchor......"
In Australia, the law makes no allowances for the boat nor the status (at anchor or underway). The law is the same as that for cars and as I understand, if the keys are in the ignition then somebody on board is deemed in control of the vessel. That means you could be sound asleep at midnight having had one beer too many and they could wake you up, breathalyzer you and charge you.

There is a touch of common sense and can't imagine been breatlysed in my sleep! They do however enforce the testing when a boat is at anchor. I've been breathalyzed at anchor (and passed) in Australia. I've also stashed the keys in a cupboard and when the police pull alongside I simply say my friend is the captain and he is swimming somewhere along the beach and the keys are round his neck. Ive also jumped overboard and had a nice long swim with all the 100's of beach goers when I see the police turn up!

That was some years ago, I'm quite happy to be tested now, knowing I won't have a problem.

RR

Last edited by rak rua; 09-04-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Registered

Eh, don't drink anyhow, so it's an easy pledge ha. Was stationed in Germany for 7 years, drank myself stupid over there. Even most of my passengers don't partake much. Pretty boring life I guess
Old 09-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

This thread is stupid. Heading to Lake St. Clair now. Happy holiday everyone and be safe.