How To Wash Your Boat Cover? >

How To Wash Your Boat Cover?

Notices

How To Wash Your Boat Cover?

Old 09-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts
Default How To Wash Your Boat Cover?

My boat sat outside and I had the cover on it with a plastic tarp over the cover. I went out of town and came back to find the sun had toasted the tarp and it fell apart exposing the boat cover. I live on a big (for SoCal) one acre lot and most of the back yard is dirt so now the cover has dirt all over it.

I blew it off with a leaf blower and then broomed it but the dirt is very fine, like dust and the cover still has dirt coming off it when I shake it. I'd take it off to shake the whole thing but it is way too big (32' foot boat).

Whats the best way to clean a boat cover? Just wash it while it is on the boat and let it air dry? It's been brutally hot here all summer so it would probably dry in less than a half hour.

When I take the cover off I roll it up over itself to the front of the cockpit instead of just rolling it up. That way the dirty side stays against the dirty side. Then I fold the remainder of it (part over the cabin deck) in half lengthwise (again, upside to upside) and then roll it up. This way the bottom side that goes against the boat stays clean. It is a bit of a chore to do this by myself.

Is this how most of you do it or do you just roll it up?

I am building a dedicated boat garage and plan on using PVC pipe to build a frame that I can attach the cover to. The frame will match the shape of the rub-rail. It will have a pulley and rope system attached to the rafters of the garage. When I want to pull the cover off I will just undo the cover straps from the trailer and wrap them around the PVC frame. Then pull the ropes and the whole cover will raise along with the PVC frame. I'll post photos when it is done.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it back on the boat, and drive down to the coin op car wash and let er rip with the pressure washer.

That's what I do.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a kiddie pool and some Iosso detergent made for boat covers, then I drape it over a fence to rinse and air dry. When completely dry it gets recoated with water repellant spray.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my cover to the coin laundry packed it in a front load washer I think 60 # it did get it clean but left some surface dirt in the folds, after a few rains it looked good. Also used the dryer the cover fit better in it.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 14 Posts

I've spread mine out on the driveway and used dawn soap, a hose and a clean broom. They always clean up nicely.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

be carefull...I had on on the old nova had made new.after a couple seasons it was looking a little dingy so I took it to the coin carwash, cleaned it good and threw it over the fence to dry in the sun. It shrunk so bad it was worthless. 2 inches or so on a 14 foot long cover may not seem like much but it can be all the difference in the world.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took my cover to the coin laundry put it in one of the commercial washer on cold/warm , took it home and let it dry , came out great.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:31 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

I just bought some 303 multi surface cleaner (first time buy) to use in the power washer this year. Power washer has the bottle to feed chemicals on the low pressure nozzle, spray on, scrub with soft car wash brush, rinse from a good distance to not tear cover. Then follow up with 303 fabric protector after it dries. I do all this while on the boat, then remove cover and wash boat. Normally I try to do at least twice a year, missed my spring application. However, will do this fall for winterization.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All I have ever done is hose it down with warm water - I haven't had issue with staining - our boat is on a covered lift and the cover is basically to keep the dust out.

3pointstar
Old 09-08-2016, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Take it to a Laundermatt with a commercial size loader. We have one that is 6x the size of a home machine. I put the cover in, cost 8.50 and it tuned out brand new. Not a spec of dirt. Awesome way to get it clean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.