Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Jose Fernandez RIP.  What the heck happened? >

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Notices

Jose Fernandez RIP. What the heck happened?

Old 09-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
So no one drinks in their home before heading out either? You stated earlier in the thread no signs of booze were ground on the boat, assimilating it wasn't a potential cause; however, it's quite consumption can happen prior to getting underway. No one is judging, just saying wait for the toxicology report to come back. I hope to hell they were all clean. If not many will tarnish their legacy, which will be very sad.

I am saying I am not going to jump to a conclusion and mark some as guilty with no facts to go on other than assumption based on nothing.

also Jose was not driving the boat, he is welcome to be as hammered as he likes
Old 09-28-2016, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Tractionless
So no one drinks in their home before heading out either? You stated earlier in the thread no signs of booze were ground on the boat, assimilating it wasn't a potential cause; however, it's quite consumption can happen prior to getting underway. No one is judging, just saying wait for the toxicology report to come back. I hope to hell they were all clean. If not many will tarnish their legacy, which will be very sad.
Clean or not why boat fast at night? We have seen the results here over and over. Boats hitting seawalls at Chicago. Boats hitting buoys. Boats hitting barges. Boats hitting rocks, running aground, hitting jetties. Even radar and a chartplotter won't show all hazards such as a partially submerged log. SMH. Such avoidable tragedies.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,052 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
also Jose was not driving the boat, he is welcome to be as hammered as he likes
How does anyone know who was driving at the time of the crash, did I miss something ?
Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Clean or not why boat fast at night? We have seen the results here over and over. Boats hitting seawalls at Chicago. Boats hitting buoys. Boats hitting barges. Boats hitting rocks, running aground, hitting jetties. Even radar and a chartplotter won't show all hazards such as a partially submerged log. SMH. Such avoidable tragedies.
Probably the same reason you see people driving cars into fog at 70 mph , then you have a two hundred car pileup, young and seemingly invincible. Terrible tragedy.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
How does anyone know who was driving at the time of the crash, did I miss something ?
Jose's boat, more than likely he was driving.

Early media reports said boat was not his, subsequent reports said it was.

Paper also mentioned he was to pitch his last game under his current contract Monday......then he would be a free agent. This guy easily would have gotten a 100 million+ deal being his arm was already fixed (tommy john surgery). His current deal was worth about 6.5 million total. He would be lucky to still have 1 million left of that deal after taxes/agent fees/spending (taxes/agent % would have nailed 1/2 right off the bat). Sadly most 24 year old's spend a lot, don't really have a reason for life insurance especially when thinking they have a 100 million dollar deal coming shortly. Lawsuits/lawyers will decimate whatever he had left and his unborn kid won't get much.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by ToMorrow44
What are you going to light the jetty with? Red marker lights? Flood lights? My point is, the operator is still going to have to interpret what the lights mean against a black backdrop. The channel markers leading up to the jetty are all lit, my fear would be if you put marker lights on the jetty, people would confuse it for the channel markers. Case in point, you see this light configuration on the water, what is is and which side should you pass it on...?
On inland lakes up north many of the marinas have floating wave-breaks that are nearly impossible to see on a dark night. The marinas put flashing yellow lights on them, especially at the ends, and it works like a charm - same thing with non-lighted docks that stick far out into the channel. They have no doubt prevented countless wrecks.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having been thru that inlet dozens of times...and understanding the occupants local knowledge of that area, I'm wondering if perhaps they experienced steering failure.

In looking at the crash scene pictures it appears that they weren't more than a few hundred feet from the end of the jetty when they hit it. That being said, if I were investigating this horrible accident I would not rule steering failure out until Marine Forensic investigators thoroughly look at that possibility.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sprink58
Having been thru that inlet dozens of times...and understanding the occupants local knowledge of that area, I'm wondering if perhaps they experienced steering failure.

In looking at the crash scene pictures it appears that they weren't more than a few hundred feet from the end of the jetty when they hit it. That being said, if I were investigating this horrible accident I would not rule steering failure out until Marine Forensic investigators thoroughly look at that possibility.
Very sad for his family, friends, and most for his unborn child. Respectfully, regarding steering failure, I'm not sure I see this at all, given the evidence. Quite the reverse, actually. Also, Ockham's Razor strongly suggests it wasn't the cause.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

http://www.newsweek.com/jose-fernand...at-ride-504256

None of them were wearing life vests. One of the three victims, either Rivero or Macias, had been tossed clear past the jetty and into Government Cut. The other two were found beneath the boat. First responders were unable to positively identify Fernandez, according to a source, because “his face was mush.” A Marlins identification card found in one of his pockets was what allowed authorities to later identify the 2013 National League Rookie of the Year.

Terrible ending........
Old 09-29-2016, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
http://www.newsweek.com/jose-fernand...at-ride-504256

None of them were wearing life vests. One of the three victims, either Rivero or Macias, had been tossed clear past the jetty and into Government Cut. The other two were found beneath the boat. First responders were unable to positively identify Fernandez, according to a source, because “his face was mush.” A Marlins identification card found in one of his pockets was what allowed authorities to later identify the 2013 National League Rookie of the Year.

Terrible ending........
wow....what a terrible way to go out. I can not imagine that impact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.