Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Wanna read something really whacked? >

Wanna read something really whacked?

Notices

Wanna read something really whacked?

Old 10-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Wanna read something really whacked?

I had my 26' Carver fly bridge cruiser for sale on ebay. Last week I had struck a deal with a guy from Texas and had ended the auction early. He had called me on Wednesday of last week to let me know he was on his way to Maine. He called several times over the next couple of days as he was on his way. He was expecting to arrive on Sunday. On Saturday he called and said he was a day ahead and was only an hour from my home. My wife and another couple from this board were at a mexican restaurant sucking down margaritas the size of bird baths and we were feeling good We headed back to the house to meet up with the buyer.He had arrived soon after, driving a brand new F350 crewcab dually with a full navigation system and laptop cell/internet and all kinds of big money equiptment.

The buyer was very well dressed and said he was a doctor and was also the owner of a boat tranpo business. We went for a sea trial and he was happy with the boat and I had also sold him a trailer that I had that would fit it.

We went into the house and I gave him an envelope with all the info for the boat. He then pulled out his checkbook and asked me if I was comfortable with a check from his money market acct, and if not, he would hang around a couple of days for the check to clear. Well being a little buzzed and the guy seemed real professional and well put together, I said no problem.

We then drove the boat to the ramp and he said he was going to hit the road to avoid any traffic around the cities.

I called him on Sunday afternoon to see how the rig was towing and he said fine, he was entering Ohio. seemed fine at this time.

On Monday morning, I went to the bank to cash the check...I could tell by the look on the tellers face that there was a big problem She said that it was NO GOOD!!!

I asked her if I could freeze the funds that were available and she said not even close!....He had less than $10.00 in there

I was extremely pissed off and called his cell immediatly... no answer! I called him about 20 times over the next 4 hrs to no avail.

About 2 hrs later he called me and was extremely apolgetic and said there was a transfer in progress, I said bull****, the bank did a trace and there were no transfers in transit!

I then said, I don`t know what your trying to pull, all I know is that you have my boat and I have a wothless piece of paper!

He said he was very imbarrased and asked me if I would like him to return back to Maine!(He was in Columbus Ohio) I told him he better as I was ready to call the State police in every state from here to Texas!

The next 14 hrs I was kicking myself for being such a total moron, and was letting the clown get further away.

Around midnight on Tuesday, the guy pulled into my driveway with the boat in tow!!!! I could not believe it! He drove 14 hrs back to Maine!!!!

He apologized up and down and said that he would stay in a local motel and wait for a cashiers ckeck to be expressed mailed to me.

GUESS WHAT!... He is nowhere to be found and I have had no contact with him since dropping off the boat!

I even asked the motel keeper if he actually checked into the motel and they never heard from him!

Well folks, that was the most bizzare thing I`ve ever witnessed

Kurt.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHHHHOOOOEEE!!! pretty wierd ......guess he changed his mind..
Old 10-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

hhmmmmm.....a theif with a conscience, or a legitimate mistake. will we ever know the rest of the story???
Old 10-02-2002, 07:10 PM

WOW!!! I thought it would end badly but you at least got your boat back. Otto
Old 10-02-2002, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That ticks me off and I know how you feel because I had a simular situation happend to me. Went to the airport to pick up a proposed buyer, waited and waited. Checked all flights and they never had anyone booked by their name, so I left. I called and called until I reached them. She non shalantly said, "Oh I forgot all about it" Yeah Right! You dont look to buy the boat of your dreams, ask a stranger to pick you up at the airport and just happen to slip your mind that you even made the arrangements.

What the hell are people thinking!

I 'am Happy for you that you got the boat back.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:31 PM
Registered

I can only imagine the sick feeling you had in your stomach,

I can not believe that he actually drove all the way back. Seller beware, I guess.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:45 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

That guy really put the "Strange" in Stranger. You have a lot of guts just telling us that story. Just goes to show that alcohol and business do not mix very well. Better luck next time.
Old 10-02-2002, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Boy are you right Macdad, alcohol and business do not mix!

I`d have never taken that check if I was sober!

It scared me so much I`m gonna quit the margaritas! ....NOT!

KURT
Old 10-02-2002, 08:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Kurt that really pisses me off!!! Not only did you cancell the auction but man I can not believe the feeling that you must have had when the check was a NO GO. Can you imagine if the jack ass had not come back. Well at leaste you know the trailer is "road worthy". Wonder why he came back. Oh well I am just glad he did!!! Good luck selling that thing as I know you wanted the money for a new trailer. How is the weater up there? I was thinking of heading up in two weeks to run the boat for the final run of the year in Fresh to get out all the salt.

Jon
Old 10-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was CATMANDO

Quick Reply: Wanna read something really whacked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.