Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When do you make the decision to part out versus selling??? >

When do you make the decision to part out versus selling???

Notices

When do you make the decision to part out versus selling???

Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 469 Posts

Selling boats, no matter what the reason, is a nightmare. Tire kickers, self appointed experts, unqualified surveyors, financing dramas, on-line shoppers, dreamers, bargain hunters etc, etc, etc. Sounds like you're gonna do your nutz, welcome to the club.

The longer a boat is advertised and visible, the more it's price drops. Sports boats that get seen on the market for months on end gain a stigma and everyone starts asking what's wrong with it. Must have big problems.

If you really want this boat sold, advertise it all over the place, on every free website you can think of and a handful of paid ads too. Give to brokers (non-exclusive of course), just do anything you can to get it noticed. Most importantly, cut your losses with a fire sale price now, not in 3 months time. Don't let it sit long enough for people to start asking why it hasn't sold.

Your boat sounds great and I'm sorry it doesn't suit your needs. I don't know the value of it but most here think it's less than 75k. Have a think about what you would pay for it if you were the buyer.....?

Lastly, when advertising cheap, let everyone know your finances are very strong and that's why you can afford to sell it cheap! The money loss doesn't matter to you but you want something different and don't have room to store the extra boat. Buyers are all looking for a desperate seller and then when they find one, they start to question if the boat is properly maintained. THIS IS NOT YOU, YOU'RE NOT BROKE AND YOUR BOAT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.

Just my opinion, wish you all the best with a sale.

RR
Old 10-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 203 Likes on 131 Posts

Guys are crazy on old Cigs too... they don't get that kinda coin....

I have parted a few boats but they gotta be the right deal to come out ahead, yours is not gonna pull nearly 75,000 in parts based off what I see things actually sell for...

Engines you may see 7500 each complete so 22,500
Drives lets say 3000 each that's 9000
exhaust 1500 each for 2 engines with normal tails, less for 3rd setup as will be a hard sell... sooo 4000 ish...
steering 1500 ish
props most likely sell as a pair so 600-1000 depending...
gauges 1000 ish
trailer probably 6-7500

that's all the big stuff... the rest is a hard sell.... the empty hull you gotta give away basically, so pumps, stereo, interior parts and all the BS lets say adds up to 5000 even 7500...

that's 53,000 figuring 7500 on trailer, the prices I listed are what things generally sell for not what people ask, I wheel and deal A TON or stuff... sad reality is the 53,000 is probably about what you might get for it whole, there are some sweet deals out there... that's what kills it... the older the boat the better you are off parting it... yours is in that spot that its not worth it to part it out..

Originally Posted by 1000 islander
Closest 42 big step staggered I see here on OSO is 95,000. That's with 525's and no trailer and most likely salt water. Everything else is WAY over 100k. Funny how people ask that kind of money for an old tank of a Cigarette and nobody bats an eye.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

A 3 engine boat.. F that, I`d rather eat a bullet. I`m tired of dealing with 2 of everything much less 3.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 882 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
A 3 engine boat.. F that, I`d rather eat a bullet. I`m tired of dealing with 2 of everything much less 3.
A guy that once had a triple 1000 Scarab told me if your boat needs 3 engines then it is too heavy!
Old 02-04-2017, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 821 Likes on 347 Posts

Anybody know where 1000 islander (the OP here) is at? He was selling 3 Hardin sea strainers, I bought one from him and haven't heard a word since. Tried PMing him several times. What makes me kind of nervous is he must of deleted the thread for the strainers in the swap shop because I can't find it now...
Old 02-05-2017, 01:46 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,784 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Anybody know where 1000 islander (the OP here) is at? He was selling 3 Hardin sea strainers, I bought one from him and haven't heard a word since. Tried PMing him several times. What makes me kind of nervous is he must of deleted the thread for the strainers in the swap shop because I can't find it now...
The thread was deleted 1-25-17 by a mod because he posted they were all sold.
The thread title is still there in the swap shop, but shows deleted due to sold.
The thread can be reopened by a moderator if needed.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Registered

I see, thanks for the heads up griff. When I would try to search for it it would not come up. Hopefully it's just an instance where he's busy and UPS or whomever is slow....
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the other two and am having getting ahold of him. He finally replied after nearly a week of me asking for tracking info. He said he was out of town working. I ask since asked for tracking info several time, but I get no response. I just want my $hit I paid over a grand for. I emailed him again this morning, hopefully he sent them out and this doesn't become a bigger issue. Very sloppy way to manage your business nonetheless.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Registered

Yes poor way of doing business. I am glad that the other two did in fact sell and that's why the thread was closed. Hopefully they get out or are on there way now and haven't or won't be just thrown in a box.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

IGetWet, I'll let you know if mine show up, please let me know if you get yours. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.