Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Bad Accident Potomac Radar Run >

Bad Accident Potomac Radar Run

Notices

Bad Accident Potomac Radar Run

Old 10-16-2016, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never met these guys and I feel sad that I never will now even though we shared Lanier.
Sincere condolences for the families.
Since I started reading here over 10 years ago the stories of deaths always impress me with a sobering awareness of safety. This feeling really struck me more this year with so many deaths and four while we were at the Lanier poker run. It feels almost personal when I have attended an event where people lost there lives even though I didn't know them. So very sad.
Prayers for the families.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:45 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Photo courtesy - Jay Nichols

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560457[/ATTACH]

RIP - I remember talking to Garth at the ramp in metro park last year after Skaterfest. Nice guy, I was in the market for a 36' Skater at that time and he was very helpful answering questions. This is sad news.
Attached Thumbnails Bad Accident Potomac Radar Run-20197617465_6e56cb72e0_o.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM
sre
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash Bar
Let me clarify, on Facebook I have almost 2k "friends" and pages liked. The videos placed on facebook feeds AUTOPLAY as you scroll through the news feed. This video was on a loop and every time it was "shared" it would appear in the top of my(and lots of others. including the families) feed and play automatically. I did not and would not look for it. I have not watched the OL video from LOTO since Mike passed. I will admit I watched it when it appeared he would pull through but not since his passing.

It HAS BEEN monetized as it was placed on youtube for exactly that reason. The site Offshore Lake of the Ozarks also refused to pull it down until it had over 500k views. It was also on Good Morning America today so it has been likely sold to them. More money.

IN MY OPINION, it's completely in bad taste. This was a racing accident, on the cutting edge, and there will not likely be a lesson that can be learned from repeated watching of the video(s).
My father was killed in a racing accident 24 years ago right in our hometown Detroit. TV was interrupted locally as breaking news and made nationwide headlines. You can't control what happens with media. Although tragic to watch I hope looking makes all of us realize the danger involved in doing what we love.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sre
My father was killed in a racing accident 24 years ago right in our hometown Detroit. TV was interrupted locally as breaking news and made nationwide headlines. You can't control what happens with media. Although tragic to watch I hope looking makes all of us realize the danger involved in doing what we love.
I am sorry to hear about your father. You are right that you can't control what happens with the media however technology today is much more aggressive with social media. I am sure watching it on breaking news is hard, but to have it continuously shared, taken down, reposted, edited, etc., can be a bit much for the families to handle. I agree, it should be taken down.

If the families wish to do something down the road to create awareness and prevention that is up to them, not the public.
Old 10-16-2016, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Did not know Jim, but had the pleasure of knowing Garth. He stored his Skater at the same place I keep my boat. Came over and borrowed a tool from me one day. Great guy. Got to spend a day with him a few months later on that Skater on Lake Lanier. It was a really big deal to me as that boat is out of my reach and it was just an incredible experience He was a class act. Godspeed to both.

Last edited by tgorbett; 10-16-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Registered

Received 449 Likes on 245 Posts

This is nuts! this crash is the same blowover that has claimed so many amazing folks from our beloved sport the technology exist to stop blowovers we are playing russian roulete with aerodynamics using impact lift or compression lift yet we have no way to control it we as a group can figure this out, dragboats did with removeable capsules that has saved many lives time for some serious thinking and a way to retro fit to exsisting hulls.....Godspeed to these fine gentlemen
Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I hope this isn't viewed as disrespectful, but why did he stay on the throttles until the boat was out of the water? I honestly have no idea if lifting off of the throttles could have brought the front of the boat back down.
I think the idea is to drive through it.....if you pull back it blows over since less forward momentum is forcing the bow down. I could have it wrong though.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:21 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,074 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I think the idea is to drive through it.....if you pull back it blows over since less forward momentum is forcing the bow down. I could have it wrong though.
If you back out of it hard, there is also massive weight transfer towards the front of the boat, pushing the bow down. There's a few theories. The best one is to never put yourself in the position.

RIP Guys. So very tragic.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow, another tragic loss. It's been a rough summer. RIP
Old 10-17-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chris@uga
I hope this isn't viewed as disrespectful, but why did he stay on the throttles until the boat was out of the water? I honestly have no idea if lifting off of the throttles could have brought the front of the boat back down.
If you go through the video clip frame by frame noting the time stamps from the time the bow started to come up until it was past the "point of no return" it is less than 2 seconds. After that point there is no turning back.
I have watched numerous videos of Garth's boat as well as watching it, and him, in person and can say that although on the edge it never appeared to be out of control. They were very in tune with the boat and it setup. Gust of wind, one bump to much on tabs or drives is all it takes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.