Szolack  withdrawing from Shootout Action >

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Notices

Szolack withdrawing from Shootout Action

Old 10-16-2016, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flight club
I talked to Pete today and he is already coming up with a solution In the form of a parachute that will deploy when the Bow reaches a certain angle so the boat will not be able to take flight
Just so everyone knows, that was no call out on them , folks buy them to go FAST! And can put whatever power in after the fact. Glad to hear they are being somewhat proactive on this!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 916 Likes on 304 Posts

Most respect on the decision Ron.

While you can never remove all risk, the technology is out there to greatly improve safety and the odds. But it will take a concerted effort from those within the industry and those who push the limits to develop it.

Two years ago a small group of us including some aeronautical and maritime engineers came up with a plan to explore computer controlled counter measures that could halt departures before they go critical. First step to building any device was gather enough data off races boats to build a computer model with normal boat operating parameters. When we ask permission from SBI to rig a few boats and collect basic gyro-graphic data, rather than embrace the opportunity, we were strictly forbidden from approaching any teams. So the project was tabled. But a solution defiantly warrants some further study.

Other option is to weigh the risks, and maybe come to the conclusion that the odds are heavily stacked against ya with the current technology in use.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:37 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron, I am so thankful you have made that very difficult decision. I was sitting on the transom of your 40' when you and Chip blew by us at about 150 mph as that was beautiful. The boat handled great and both of you had FUN and we sat down to a luncheon with a bunch of very close SKATERFEST friends. That is the way it should be!! Great fun and be safe, so we can enjoy our families and friends later.

And to CashBar, two of the best posts ever pertaining to this subject! I totally agree and do hope others will follow your lead, Safe Boating for all of us!!

Gary
Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem with a parachute is that it is only good once when it is already too late. With a computer controlled wing It would keep the boat from getting out of shape BEFORE it was too late. AND you could keep going and lets say it lit up a big red light on the dash that indicates it just saved your A S S.
If this system was put into production I have to believe they could get the installed cost under $25,000
It would go a long way for brand advertising too - instead of seeing another X brand blowing over killing everyone on board.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
Two years ago a small group of us including some aeronautical and maritime engineers came up with a plan to explore computer controlled counter measures that could halt departures before they go critical. First step to building any device was gather enough data off races boats to build a computer model with normal boat operating parameters. When we ask permission from SBI to rig a few boats and collect basic gyro-graphic data, rather than embrace the opportunity, we were strictly forbidden from approaching any teams. So the project was tabled. But a solution defiantly warrants some further study.
Yeah unfortunately that might be the biggest hurdle to designing an effective system is establishing the normal vs abnormal parameters. But that was an awesome idea trying to get data off race boats because those things are usually pushed right up to, and sometimes, beyond the limit. :thumbsup:

Another idea, this Skater is rigged up with moveable cavitation plates like a flatbottom v-drive which is how they keep those boats in the water. Foot controlled...
http://www.riverdavesplace.com/forum...weiler-Weisman
Old 10-16-2016, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
The problem with a parachute is that it is only good once when it is already too late. With a computer controlled wing It would keep the boat from getting out of shape BEFORE it was too late. AND you could keep going and lets say it lit up a big red light on the dash that indicates it just saved your A S S.
If this system was put into production I have to believe they could get the installed cost under $25,000
It would go a long way for brand advertising too - instead of seeing another X brand blowing over killing everyone on board.
I would definitely install this in my boat if it was available
Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

So I thought that I've seen this type of "wing" system on the Phenomenon boat, but I wanted to make sure. I remember thinking it was a brilliant idea back then, sure enough I remembered right. Al Copeland designed this boat before his passing, it includes a canard wing between the front sponsons. Not sure how its controlled or what kind of results they ever got with it...

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...8c&oe=58A9697F
Old 10-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On that boat the tunnel is very short. Just enough to lift the stern. The wing lifts the bow. great concept. You can control the attitude of the boat completely with the wing. Control it with a high speed actuator, gyro and a computer and a stuff or blow over would be a thing of the past.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:32 PM
sre
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkerer
i don't think it would be that hard for a good programmer. And I don't think the computer would have to be very expensive. Using a gyro and then with parameters set to engage at a certain up angle and be proportional. So the wing would only make a large correction if it was needed. I think I would rather ride through a stuff rather than a blow over. I think the most expensive part of the system would be the high speed actuator for the wing. I just think that if I could afford a 200+ MPH boat with $100K engines - what would be another $25K
Regardless of how quick a wing could react a boat is going over regardless. The small amount of downforce a wing provides will never counteracts the lift from a tunnel. We researched this.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was always under the impression that a correctly running tunnel hull was trying to lift the nose and the drives/motors were trimmed down to control the boat.
With that thought in mind, as soon as the boat hits a bump/wave and the props no longer hold it down, its instantly uncontrollably flying.

$.02

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.