Good 1st Performance Boat for $25-35K? >

Good 1st Performance Boat for $25-35K?

Notices

Good 1st Performance Boat for $25-35K?

Old 11-07-2016, 09:32 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where do you plan on doing most of your boating? The bay definitely can get snotty and is deceivingly rough at times. I like the looks and construction quality of the Nordic, but as many have said, its more of a lake boat. 24* deadrise is key. I would also suggest either outboards or the 496/496HO package. Some great suggestions above - Pantera, Active Thunder, Velocity to name a few.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtlawyer
Where do you plan on doing most of your boating? The bay definitely can get snotty and is deceivingly rough at times. I like the looks and construction quality of the Nordic, but as many have said, its more of a lake boat. 24* deadrise is key. I would also suggest either outboards or the 496/496HO package. Some great suggestions above - Pantera, Active Thunder, Velocity to name a few.
I will be running up & down the Gulf side from Clearwater to Tarpon, around St. Pete, etc. Really just seeking a nice-looking, reasonably fast, and comfortable boat to go and hang out at the islands and sand bars on. Will be taking people, and occasionally kids, with me so I'm liking the MCOB layout more and more. Anyone know the dead rise on the 288 Sunsation and Donzi ZXO? And yes, single power 496 HO is my first engine choice if I can find it.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:47 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

get a mechanical inspection from someone who has been trained on the engine package(s) and drive(s) that you are seriously looking at. A lot of surveyors have never taken any OEM engine manufacturer training classes.

I seen / read at least a 1000 survey reports and not many really have stood out for the engine(s) and drive side of the coin for any indepth diagnostics. .

Do not be impressed by fancy letterheads, nice clean shirts and a very nice big clip boards. for an inspection.

Questions to ask

What OEM engine manufacturer training classes have you been trained in ? By whom ?
If any how long ago ?
What current OEM engine manu training do you have and when ?
Do you have a scan tool ?
What scan tool ? and what is your training with marine scan tools and marine diagnostics ?
What other tools will you be using along with tests to perform engine and drive diagnostics ?
how indepth can we go over the scan report together ?
Do you have the OEM service manuals per the app of inspection ?
what engine and drive mechanical diagnostics are you going to perform ?
Do you have fuel pressure gauges and can tell me what fuel pressure PSI is thru out rpms. Can you perform fuel samples ?
Do you test drive the boat and check for water leaks - hull side and mechanical side along with in the water inspections ?
Engine and drive oil samples would be good to have as well to send off for analysis.

Asking these basic questions might shock you with the answers as for the person performing your pre purchase inspections.

Last edited by BUP; 11-07-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found a 28FT 2006 Donzi ZXO w/ single 496 HO/425HP. Seller is stating that top speed is 58 mph. Doesn't that seem a little low, or is it just that heavy of a boat?

Last edited by CLASSIC MUSCLE; 11-07-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
get a mechanical inspection from someone who has been trained on the engine package(s) and drive(s) that you are seriously looking at. A lot of surveyors have never taken any OEM engine manufacturer training classes.

I seen / read at least a 1000 survey reports and not many really have stood out for the engine(s) and drive side of the coin for any indepth diagnostics. .

Do not be impressed by fancy letterheads, nice clean shirts and a very nice big clip boards. for an inspection.

Questions to ask

What OEM engine manufacturer training classes have you been trained in ? By whom ?
If any how long ago ?
What current OEM engine manu training do you have and when ?
Do you have a scan tool ?
What scan tool ? and what is your training with marine scan tools and marine diagnostics ?
What other tools will you be using along with tests to perform engine and drive diagnostics ?
how indepth can we go over the scan report together ?
Do you have the OEM service manuals per the app of inspection ?
what engine and drive mechanical diagnostics are you going to perform ?
Do you have fuel pressure gauges and can tell me what fuel pressure PSI is thru out rpms. Can you perform fuel samples ?
Do you test drive the boat and check for water leaks - hull side and mechanical side along with in the water inspections ?
Engine and drive oil samples would be good to have as well to send off for analysis.

Asking these basic questions might shock you with the answers as for the person performing your pre purchase inspections.
I completely agree with all of teh above; however, believe most won't want to put up with a headache customer to that degree. Additionally, in some parts of the country surveryor's are few and far between.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:41 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

^^^^^ depends as money seems to be the key driven factor for both parties. A boat buyer should worry about how much is this 10 to 20 year old USED boat going to cost me after I buy it rather than how much is the inspection going to cost before I buy it. A point that should be in the thought and buying process.

IMO the term used a lot is --- get the boat surveyed ? But no one has ever thrown out all the details along with the diagnostics and what is used for performing the survey. What a compression test ? If you are basing your purchase on moisture meter, a compression test and sea trial only - good luck.

a pre purchase inspection has different levels and again money driven --- how far indepth and how much the buying is wanting to spend. on the inspection. If the price of an inspection is such a concern then do not buy a used boat period. Just saying as it is really hard to say how much a certain boat inspection is going to cost for any buyer upfront.

Good inspections travel and are paid to do so no matter of location.

Last edited by BUP; 11-07-2016 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by CLASSIC MUSCLE
I found a 28FT 2006 Donzi ZXO w/ single 496 HO/425HP. Seller is stating that top speed is 58 mph. Doesn't that seem a little low, or is it just that heavy of a boat?
Sounds about right. heavy boat for it's size and the motor is not a HUGE power house.

It does sound like a nice and dependable package though.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Remember, when it is snotty on the bay an open bow will be wet and those in the open front will be bounced all over. Just FYI

Padraig
Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I own a Nordic Heat, and agree with the comments. Great Lake boats, big cabin, great looks. On a holiday weekend at LOTO or out in some big waves on Lake Michigan... I got my ass handed to me. The vast majority of the time though, I love driving it.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 256 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Remember, when it is snotty on the bay an open bow will be wet and those in the open front will be bounced all over. Just FYI

Padraig
Going to get wet in the back as well in a boat that size.