Like Tree0Likes

bat boats... whats up?

Old 10-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

My Boats: 1999 Active Thunder 25' Factory 1 Race Edition
Default For what it's worth...

Over the last few years, I've had the good fortune to race in P-4, Factory 1, Super V light single, and Super V. I've also been lucky enough to "test" quite a number of other boats.
Last year in Key West, I had the pleasure of testing one of the Reindl "Bat Boats" in between races. I drove, while the crew member that races with Dr. Santiago throttled, (I'm embarrassed that I don't remember the gentlemans name).
I'm sure the teams that also raced that weekend can help me out here, but it seems like there were true 5's & 6's out past turn 2.
My opinion? They may not be my idea of a pretty boat, but those things are a BLAST to drive !!! The Bat boats are damned fast yet very forgiving. They handle big water better than some of the larger boats, and run loose and fast on smooth water. I'm not sure if the 24' Bat boat would out-run the top Factory 1 boats out there, but given equally talented teams, it would be one tight race. Remember, the Batboats run small blocks as opposed to the Factory 1's HP500/502 big block.
C-Spray has a true Mannerfelt 28' Batboat that, given the same HP, I would put up against most of the 28's on the water today.
If anyone is looking at getting their feet wet, (so to speak) in offshore racing, this is without a doubt the way to go. They are fast, safe, and a screaming riot to race in. The price may seem somewhat steep to a new team, but add up all the expenses of racing your own boat, or better yet, ask some of the other existing race team owners what they spend at each race. It will be an eye opener.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Registered

Default Have to agree with Gordo. . .

You won't see a One Design pass BJM and his Activator in rough conditions, but its not uncommon for us to pass some of the slower F-1 's in 4 - 6 footers.

Take a look at the average lap times of the winning F-1 boat and One Design boat in both Clevland (smooth water) and Savannah (a little rough).

Cleveland:

Winning F-1 avg. lap speed: 76.30 mph
Winning OD avg. lap speed: 64.12 mph

Savannah:

Winning F-1 avg. lap speed: 62.78 mph
Winning OD avg. lap speed: 60.18 mph

The rougher the conditions (within reason), the closer the lap times of the two classes. Super Vee Light Single is only a mph or so ahead of the F-1 speeds in both races (77.59 in Cleveland, and 63.24 in Savannah).

Keep in mind that the One Design is powered by a stock 315 hp Volvo, compared to the 500 hp in the F-1's.

Come to Bahamas or Key West and find out yourself. . . probably the only race boat/class that offers demo rides to the interested public!
Old 10-04-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Audiofn
It does sound very odd inside and some of the landings SOUND much worse then they are. The only complaint that I had was the poor visibility out of the canopy, and even with the padding out of the seat bottom my head hits the side of the canopy (I am 6ft tall).

Jon
And how much could you see in a turn? I drove one in Sarasota last year with John on the sticks. Boat flies flat, runs straight, I was amazed how well it handled. Sarasota had one of it's rough years in 01. I'm 6'4" and in the turns I was "blind as a bat". That was my only complaint with the boat.

The sounds within the canopy, it is like that in most canopy boats. I was at speed in the 36 Skater once without my helmet on, I couldn't believe the sounds that I was hearing. You can really hear the water on the hull. I was also amazed on how much the helmet and intercom cut down on the noise.
Old 10-04-2002, 05:53 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_velocity
.......I'm 6'4" and in the turns I was "blind as a bat". That was my only complaint with the boat......
Sounds like the boats could use windows in the roof, like airliners....
Old 10-04-2002, 08:15 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

My Boats: 1979 Formula 302, 99 Formula 353, 81 Donzi 18 2+3 with 454

Yes if you are tall DO NOT drive, throttle. You will be TOTALLY blind in the turns. Once you get the feel for were you are going I would say you are ok but when we were running in the Cape we had to round the marks slow so that we could see. Strait away there are no issues, checking of boats that are passing was tough but we lost one of our side view mirrors in a turn when a wave came over the side
Old 10-05-2002, 10:31 AM
Registered

My Boats: Stray Cat Statement Marine

Running next to Chuck is like......

"trying to pass on the median when he's riding the fast lane"

Ive seen Chucks boat run in several poker runds. Never in 30' surf but in 1-2+ foot Barnaget Bay slop. Let me just say that when we were getting bounced pretty good, Chuck was gliding across the top. It is impressive to see.

If I were to have a second boat it would definatly be a Bat Boat but for everyday use I feel they are a little cumbersum around the docks.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum

saber28 . . you gotta call chris . . you will be nothing short of amazed. these things are a blast to drive and throttle ( i actually prefer to throttle. ) and the visibility thing is actually not to bad. driver and throttle man hafta work togather on that one. when packinair and i did the LEOPA poker run i had the sticks and spoted the the left side of the boat . . .if there was anything on my side . . . scott knew about it. and you dont really hafta worry about someone screeming up alongside and passing you in the blind spot because it dosent happen that often when you run hard this is definetly a two person boat and you hafta trust who you are with.
you hafta be in sync . . we ran hard on that day and put the smack down on many MUCH bigger boats including a nor-tech 50 ( well it did have deisels ) but boy were we sore the next day . . . .this thing will take much more than i can . . . do yourself a favor . . . call chris 513-706-3199 . . . find out first hand . . .
Old 10-05-2002, 06:38 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

My Boats: 98 Scarab 302 Sport

like everyone has said , you wont believe it till you try it. if you recieve powerboat mag , they did a test trial, in true 8ft seas,
i have been in them, in some big stuff "Cape Cod" to say one and last year at the worlds before the storm. At the Cape on race day, it was to say big water is a understatement, there were times when i thought the boat had broke in two, to my surprise and amazment we did not. and when stuffing you cant see sh%t but the boat pulls throughit. its a little hairy the first time it happens, but you get used to it.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:37 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2000 Formula 382 with Innovation 600's

Quote:
Originally posted by Tantrum
....."trying to pass on the median when he's riding the fast lane".....Let me just say that when we were getting bounced pretty good, Chuck was gliding across the top...
Yep. But once you get into the 6-footers, you tend to slop the martinis around a little bit. Lost an olive once.

The trick around the docks is to use a Volvo DPX drive for good bite and easy shifting, then slip aTaylor Transom Fender over the wing(s), and a good-size ball fender off of the side about 8 feet back from the nose. With this setup, you can dock by Braille....
Old 10-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1985 22' Velocity, 2003 38 Powerplay

I was fortunate enough to race a 24 Reindl this past summer in Cape Cod. The boat was way beyond what I expected. I have had experience with many offshore boats, but the Reindl is in a class of its own given its size in rough water. On race day, waves were 6-8 feet with the occasional 10 footer rolling through, which is rough in any 24 foot boat. The boat always launched straight and was very predictable. The new seats are extremely comfortable and supportive. So yes, I do support the wild claims about these terrific boats. Just my 2 cents..