Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX >

36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX

Notices

36 Gladiator | 38 Donzi ZRC | 42 Fountain Poker Run | 39 Dragon | 39 Outerlimits GTX

Old 11-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kreed
Ive never been in any of those boats....
I am truly blessed to have the friends that I have and be so deeply involved in this sport. I have close personal friends that have so many connections and ties throughout the industry, it makes my head spin. When I was a kid dreaming of racing a "Cigarette" one day, I couldn't have even dreamed of the experiences and overall life I have been able to lead so far.
I have been out on multiple cats above the 150mph mark and have a personal high of 190mph. (faster than I have been on land by 40 mph)
I have driven and throttled many different types of V-Bottom boats for fun, racing, and in poker runs.
My friends have some of the nicest and most diverse hardware out there and I have had a chance to ride in or drive them all.
The best part is, it all started with a 13 year old, 22' Donzi I bought and restored just out of college in 1995. A few years later, I ran into Dave & Frank at the Atlantic City boat show in 1999 and they convinced me to join the New Jersey Performance Powerboat Club. I was hesitant because of all the big hardware but they convinced me the size of the boat didn't matter it was the love of the sport. They were right. My best friends have come through and around the club and I never looked back.
It doesn't matter what you have as long as you are out there doing it.
I have as much respect for the guy in his 30 year old 24' Baja as I do for the guy with his brand new 50' MTI.
As the old Nike slogan used to say, "Just Do It!"
Old 11-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

IMO the three to compare are Fountain, Donzi, and Cig. Outerlimits and Dragon are at a different price point and both seem hard to find.

Of the big 3... I recall hearing most of the Fountains have a fuel bladder instead of a tank. The Fountain is also the closest thing to a race boat. Interiors aren't as nice IMO and they truly are no frills.
The cig is the best if you have a lot of slow speed zones / down south. Both the Fountain and Donzi you sit really deep in and will roast.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

I didn't hear my phone ring on this so I'm guessing your "friend" doesn't like me. LOL

Only one I can't speak for is the Dragon.

Cig Gladiator- Can't go wrong with a Cig. Easy to haul, easy to go (relatively) fast with 500/525 package. Staggered setup definitely limits the cockpit length AND they made a wide and narrow version.

Donzi ZRC- Huge for what it is, makes a Gladiator looks like a bassboat when sitting side by side. Ran away from other F2/SV boats when the water got bumpy. Canopies make it comfortable when running at speed or for a distance. Solid high 80s/low 90s with 525s.

Fountain 42PR. 97+mph with 525s. Only 4 seats but everyone is out of the wind. Hard to get in/out but it's a sexy beast and runs great.

OL 39GTX- Amazing style and cockpit comfort. Small cabin gives it a huge advantage among the others. Great performance and ride but you better be paying attention above 100. Most have Merc 6 drives which is another big plus.

I've got decent wheel time in all of these if you want more insight.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool thread, keep the replies coming. I learn something new everyday, don't really care for the look of the Dragon, but had no idea it was in the same class as the others listed, very cool.

I'd love to one of these "hot rod" sit downs one day.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Where did the Fountain 42 PR , 700/#6, P1 Powerboat edition boat end up ?
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

That was a stand a stand up 42 with a cabin and ilmors? Or are talking about the king of shaves race boat? Both of those boats had Arnesons

Last edited by Marginmn; 11-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loving my new to me 39 GTX
Love the sit down
Love the windshield
6's & 700's
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Where did the Fountain 42 PR , 700/#6, P1 Powerboat edition boat end up ?
That boat is in Indiana
Old 11-02-2016, 09:43 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
That was a stand a stand up 42 with a cabin and ilmors? Or are talking about the king of shaves race boat? Both of those boats had Arnesons
Shogren sold a 42PR with 700/6 package awhile back. Was white and stickered up for P1. Had to be a great setup.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn

As for the cigs, beautiful boats but they are unforgiving if you don't know how to drive them. Craig Berrie told me of the time he sold 3 of them new when he was at Cig to experienced performance guys. He implored all there new owners to come to Miami and let him walk them through the do's and donts of driving a Glad and all three declined. All three of the owners hooked their Glads and swaped ends. Great boats but you had better know how to drive them.

Craig left CRT in the late nighties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.