Notices

Cordless Drills

Old 10-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand, Black and Decker owns DeWalt. I purchased a Black and Decker 14.4 volt (Firestorm series) Drill, 4" circular saw and Sawsall. It's the same as the DeWalt 14.4. Same battery everything. I bought a Dewalt Radio/charger and use it to fast charge all my batteries. The charger that came with the Firestorms is a cheap one.

I use them all around the farm for almost 2 years now. They are half the price of DeWalts.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been beating, dropping, and generally abusing my Porter Cable for about 6 years now. Both batteries still charge fully and it works like the day I got it....it doesn't look like the day I got it.....but it sure takes a beating.... My vote.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:28 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dewalt, I have a 12v 2speed from 92 Ive used and abused
it only replaced one of the 2 batteries in 99
I had good luck with my Bro has the same one and also no prob
I do know of a couple models they had some problems with
otherwise if mine ever breaks Im getting a new one.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:12 PM
FireCapt911

I had a Ryobi 18 volt and when thru over 6000 3" screws building decks for me my buds. The batteries finally gave up. The drill is still "GREAT". I found that it was almost cheaper to replace the drill than replace the batteries. I found a 19.6 volt drill, circ. saw, and light at Sears for around $135. 00 and I am very pleased with the performance so far. The saw is great for a couple of cuts, but dont plan on framing out a house one charge.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:18 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Somebody rang?

I have 3 cordless Makitas. 1 9.6v that I got new back when 9.6v was the hot ticket, and two 12v that got a good deal on. I love the makita's and wouldn't trade the world for them. Try swinging over to the fine home building site. They do comparison testing of the drills and may be able to provide some insight. For that matter, go to your library and check out consumer reports too.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the drills we have are Dewalts. For what it's worth, the guys seem pretty happy with them.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:39 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can not go wrong with the Dewalts. I have a 12, 14.4 and a 18 volt. I also like the Miliwakees but I think that bang for the buck Dewalt has it hands down.

Jon
Old 10-05-2002, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dewalt.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:09 AM
Registered

Iv'e had an 18v Black and Decker ( Dewalt) since they were introduced, use almost every work day, in heavey construction. It's been dropped, rained on, abused, and only had to put a new chuck, and two batteries so far.
Old 10-06-2002, 08:27 AM
jr

I've got a Craftsman 15.6V and a Dewalt 12V. The dewalt has a better trigger and slow speed. But the gearbox on the Craftsman seems alittle better. It a better feel to it when it changes gears. I had the gear box apart on the Sears and there was very little sign of wear. This things gets used alot. But I prefer the Dewalt to it because of weight. I havent hurt or wore out either one. I've had the Sears for about 5 years. That thing has gone through everthing. The only failure I had with it was one chuck jaw wouldn't line up with the other two. I really use but don't abuse my tools. These things just keep going. By the way the Sears has higher RPM's for drilling but the Dewalt has better torque.

My cousin is an electrical contractor. He brings the stuff over to my dad to fix that his guys break. The Dewalts that he fixes are beat to hell, but the only thing that seems to go is the speed control, or the battery.

Quick Reply: Cordless Drills

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.