Notices

370ss how towable?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 755 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
A pair of 500efis in a huge Black Thunder would seem like a nice reliable packag no?
Sure. After you ditch the Bravos for SCX's. Or Arnesons.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 625 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
I was really set on the 38EC with Diesels and Arnesons... Good gas usage towable, good drives but then tommybanana blew up my dream with his small Diesels are junk talk.
Now I'm circling back to a powerboat. That doesn't make make much sense. A pair of 500efis in a huge Black Thunder would seem like a nice reliable packag no? .
Paying for a slip and storage on a big cruiser and being stuck in one marina doesn't seem very attractive. I like to go places... As far as speed Kevin, It's less about the thrills and more about getting places. You have stuff is close proximity, this side of the lake everything is spread out. Going to lunch from Racine to Milwaukee taking 2hrs at 20mph that's definitely out of the question.
I'm not sure what I wanna do at this point.
Kreed, the Cig has ac... What kind of hvac guy would I be if my boat didn't have one.
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to Crush your Dream. Just didn't want you walking into a nightmare.

If you can buy it for a steal , sell the problematic diesels and put some mild big cube gas motors in it.

Hell some cheap 420s would be 200 horse more than it has and just as much torque .

Thinking some stock carbed 502s at 450-500

I laughed when Mercuiser came out with the BMW / Cummins/ Mercuiser collaboration .

Which those 320s are after the tooling was bought from the Italians .

Only those parts could be more expensive than the Swedes with their Golden Volvo parts

Best of both worlds with the Arnesons and you would probably get more money out of it than what you had in it switching to some mild reliable gas motors.

I understand wanting the portability of a trailerable boat. Boating the same area gets boring.

I rode on baron marines 40ss this year. Sweet boat, love the way it cruises at 35 -40 mph effortlessly.

My buddy has a older Silverton fly bridge with gas in Florida, nice roomy boat , but it struggles to do 18 so you end up doing 10 off plane to save fuel and wear and tear.

Same with my brothers older 39 sea ray.

You get into a older cheap cruiser and slip it and than maybe a little Hotrod Donzi or a good used inflatable.

We used to go cruising all over the Great Lakes in my dad's 48 foot sailboat when I lived up there. Soo much to see.

Cruise as far as you can for a week or 2 than slip the boat up north and rent a car and drive home to catch up with work. Rinse and repeat.

But it's tough to beat a trailerable boat. The keys are beautiful during the winter.

Last edited by tommymonza; 12-20-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Sure. After you ditch the Bravos for SCX's. Or Arnesons.
A spare bravo costs less than the prop and shaft he lost...

And the BT is so big, he'd probably spend the winter building a mount for the spare in the engine compartment. Who needs spare prop holders when you carry spare drives, that hold props.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple friends with Formulas, one Cummins one yanmar. The Cummins has 2k plus hours on it with no issues. Yanmars have 12-1300 hours with no issues. I have quite a few Cummins engines in big trucks and heavy equipment and they are fairly simple to work on and parts are usually cheaper than just about any other brand.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by W900
I have a couple friends with Formulas, one Cummins one yanmar. The Cummins has 2k plus hours on it with no issues. Yanmars have 12-1300 hours with no issues. I have quite a few Cummins engines in big trucks and heavy equipment and they are fairly simple to work on and parts are usually cheaper than just about any other brand.
What size boats and what size Cummins and Yanmars. Got to compare apples to apples.

Like I said if you can get into the bigger cube cummins and yanmars there is good reliable options. But your not going to put 4000 pounds into a narrow beamed boat under 40 feet.

The 3208 cats are stretched to far to be reliable above 325 horse so that is a motor I would avoid in the Cat game

I'll take a cheap reliable easy to repair gas motor over a diesel any day if you can make enough torque and power with it.

Bring along a carb and extra distributor and coil and plugs and you are golden.

Tough to rebuild that $3800 high pressure injection pump on a holiday weekend . Not to mention the inter cooler with a leak in it or the 3000 dollar brand specific Turbo, or injectors and so on.

Last edited by tommymonza; 12-20-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6.7 cummins =409 ci / duramax 6.6 = 402 cubes / 7.3 powerstroke international Navistar cummins mercruiser = a total 444 cubic inches , a POWERSTROKE not an IDI / 8V92 Detroit turbo is was Chevrolet has a grand total of 736 cubic inches

Last edited by hotrodford; 12-20-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How difficult to flush tanks and are they large enough to swich over and still maintain a decent cruise distance , going back to tommys idea of swapping? if you could buy it right , that could work with a little more sweat equity.
Can you ever get rid of the diesel smell ? Lol ,

little trick , my wife puts a little coca cola in the laundry and it takes it out of work clothes. I dont know how or why , but It works.
Old 12-20-2016, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotrodford
6.7 cummins =409 ci / duramax 6.6 = 402 cubes / 7.3 powerstroke international Navistar cummins mercruiser = a total 444 cubic inches , a POWERSTROKE not an IDI / 8V92 Detroit turbo is was Chevrolet has a grand total of 736 cubic inches
The little 6.7 cummins and the 6.6 Duramax has potent entail in a small package. Beats the 300 horse 4 liter motors that are out there .

The 7.3 international is a boat anchor any way you cut it. Kind of like the old 2 stroke Jimmy's

Why no marine motor manufacture has offered a marinized Duramax yet is a good question.

Sure it would be 30 thousand a motor
Old 12-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 294 Likes on 139 Posts

This 47 Fountain with trip 496's is a good crossover type boat.

AC, Genny, runs almost 80mph and the black motors will not drain your pockets with maintenance or breaking drives.

Asking $109K, but I'm sure could be bought for less...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...os-o67907.html
Old 12-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 737 Likes on 332 Posts

The cost to convert from whatever diesel back to gasoline power would be significant. Just about everything in the engine room would be replaced, engine mounts, brackets, cables, harnesses, fuel delivery, etc. Not a plug and play swap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.