Notices

370ss how towable?

Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,449 Likes on 1,280 Posts

One big bedroom for sure but I don`t want to sleep 4 people in one bed. Plus most of em come with bravos
Old 12-17-2016, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 625 Likes on 253 Posts

Are those 320 cummins the 4.2 liter Italian jobs?

If so they are a Italian motor marinized by Cummins and Mercuiser.

Was not one of their better offerings.

Also 320 horse out of 4 liters is not a 3-4000 hour motor, more like a 1000 ,especially in a big heavy boat .

My buddy in Florida had a 41 PC with the big 440 yanmars and shafts.A lot bigger boat inside than a SS and would do almost 45, and the big Yanmars are a 3000 hour motor.

Don't remember the year it was , I think early 2000s . Super Clean I think he sold it for around 150 last year

Not real trailerable though

If your going to go Diesel, Go Yanmar or stay home.

Catapillar made a few different models that were some real Gems also in the reliability department, as did Volvo BendOver.

If you want that Offshore sound yet ,a pair of 8-92 Roaring Jimmy's would spin those Arnesons.

Last edited by tommymonza; 12-17-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 AM
Registered

Default Hmmm

I think I can answer a lot on this model. These are High Performance(3920rpm.max. rating) with 520 ft.lbs. of torque and 320hp. Ours were made by VM Motori for Cummins, and should have a 5000hr. life-span if maintained correctly. This is a recreational engine(less than 350hrs. a year) and is not made for commercial use. Our application is a 38' Fountain with BravoIIIR outdrives. You can actually increase the power to 385hp. with a performance module fitted to the ECM, but I would not recommend it because of the stress it puts on the outdrives. Now the bad part!! We had one engine fail due to salt water intrusion, and not sure where it started. Had less than 1300hrs on engine. Boat has been lift kept allways, so no water in the engine compartment. New long block, intercooler, exhaust manifold, turbo ect. is $27,000 plus labor so their not cheap to replace. Just remember these higher RPM engines have a lot of stress on them, therefore higher possibility of failure than the bigger lower RPM engines. The only reason to have them rather than the QSB6.7 is when you are limited by space and weight.

I have these engines on my 2008 38 Fountain Sportfish Cruiser. After the Mercruiser/Cummins joint venture was dissolved, Mercury Diesel fortunately picked up these engines which are Tier II diesel engines. They are no longer being sold in the US as of about a year ago, because Tier III certified engines are what's required. However, Mercury Diesel is still servicing the engines.

This summer, I developed a leak in my port engine head gasket. The top half of the engine had to be rebuilt and the engine had to be removed. That was expensive -- about $12k. Then, as soon as that was completed, my port Bravo III outdrive disintegrated -- the cone clutch blew apart and trashed the rest of the outdrive. The Bravo IIIs can't handle the torque from these engines. I've had to replace upper and lower units several times. This is very expensive
I might have to learn to work on Diesels
Old 12-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Registered

Received 279 Likes on 98 Posts

ALL diesel boats have pros and cons, I wouldn't be dead set on them when shopping but more worried about if the overall package was a good deal.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

The fuel mileage is alot better with the diesels arent they?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

The more I read the more contradicting the info is , Volvo penta is great cummins has issues, Volvo penta sucks cummins is great. etc etc. Standard for the internet. Pretty much just throw all the opinions out the window seems to be the best bet. I don`t believe a Diesel is only good for 1000 hrs if maintained.
Diesel fuel mileage on that particular 38 EC is almost double of the gas equivalent
Old 12-17-2016, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
The more I read the more contradicting the info is , Volvo penta is great cummins has issues, Volvo penta sucks cummins is great. etc etc. Standard for the internet. Pretty much just throw all the opinions out the window seems to be the best bet. I don`t believe a Diesel is only good for 1000 hrs if maintained.
Diesel fuel mileage on that particular 38 EC is almost double of the gas equivalent
Kinda like the "cam god"
Old 12-17-2016, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Volvo's good but expensive and parts suppliers are limited. You can always find it but never going to be local.
Cummins 5.9 315-450 hp, awesome reliable engine, great fuel economy, parts available pretty much everywhere for reasonable prices
Cats, good engines just get the lower hp for the series.
Detroit well..... Unless it's a series 60 I hate those time bombs lol
Old 12-17-2016, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 279 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
The fuel mileage is alot better with the diesels arent they?
Yes, but the upfront cost, and cost to maintain is much higher. It will take a long time for it to pay off. You really have to look at the overall package, how accessible the engines are, how they were maintained, and your up front value.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Yes, but the upfront cost, and cost to maintain is much higher. It will take a long time for it to pay off. You really have to look at the overall package, how accessible the engines are, how they were maintained, and your up front value.
Starting to sound like a truck thread,lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.