Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
any one hear about dock workers strike??? >

any one hear about dock workers strike???

Notices

any one hear about dock workers strike???

Old 10-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any one hear about dock workers strike???

will it delay the bahamas???
Old 10-06-2002, 12:54 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

yeah i though it was only on the west coats though.

the media sure hasn't mentioned it to much of recent, it woud surely seem our impending war has overshadowed our internal problems.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dock workers

Here in Seattle the Long Shoreman Have the Port of Seattle and Tacoma closed down and the cargo/container ships are sartting to stack up. bound to efect every one this side of the Mississippi. Charlie
Old 10-07-2002, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm certain that it's isolated and will remain on the west coast only. However, it's costing the U.S. about 1 Billion dollars a day.

But hey, it can't be all that much money when some stupid-azz 68-year-old career smoker is awarded 28 Billion dollars last week.
Old 10-07-2002, 08:21 AM
Registered

Yeah the news said that there is thousands of tons of produce and other foods rotting on the ships.

Man what a waste
Old 10-07-2002, 09:02 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This in NOT only going to effect the west coast. This is already having a effect on my business as all our electronics come in from there. People are on a buying frenzy to make sure that they have stock in their shops.

These guys start at over 60 grand a year and get paid up to 180 grand. AS A DOCK WORKER!!! I know people that go to Ivy league schools that do not get paid that much money and they are workning for Fortune 500 companies!!!

They say that the Asian ports are 4 times more efficient then the ones in the US.

I understand Unions and why they are hear, but this is a perfect example of Union greed and Union waiste. They get paid well in excess of their edjucation and job requirements dictate, yet they want more. They want to make it harder if not impossible for the owners to cut costs in a ever shrinking econimy that we are in. Even down to the point that the new on line shipping documents can all be filled in by the shipper and go directly into the computer. The Union is saying that they have to have a person take them and RE-ENTER them!!! Not only is this just plain STUPID, but it also introduces a place for people to make a mistake!!! Who is Liable for that? I bet it will not be the union, it will be the shipping company!!! DONT GET ME STARTED!!!!

Jon
Old 10-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Registered

So guess who on this board is an international freight forwarder? Me!! And even worse...I'm the ocean export supervisor.
Soooooo.....I can tell you guys firsthand that the situation on the west coast SUCKS!
Currently there are 160 vessels either on hook or at the piers waiting to be offloaded. All Far East export cargo is being rerouted through East coast ports - if cargo was en route to the West coast when the strike was announced and was in a container on a train...it's just sitting in railyard somewhere.
Even if President Bush enacts the Taft-Hardy Act it will be a MINIMUM 3 weeks before the port congestion is alleviated.

So to answer your question - East coast ports are not affected by the strike. However....there is always the possibility of them having a "sympathy" strike - but I haven't heard any rumblings to that effect.
Old 10-07-2002, 12:14 PM
jr

Audio I know what youre saying. I work in a UAW building. The janitor came by grousing how he had to work this weekend. For 8 hours of time and half and 8 hours of double time. If one guy has to work such as a designer, or engineer (salaried). The UAW has it written that a janitor, mill wright, pipe fitter, and electrician have to be on site. Meanwhile my OT got cut because of cost cutting. I just have to get 60 hours done in 40, or work casual (unpaid) time. Unions are a good thing, but they sure can milk the cow.