Looking for some advice on where to lauch for a bahamas trip >

Looking for some advice on where to lauch for a bahamas trip

Notices

Looking for some advice on where to lauch for a bahamas trip

Old 01-18-2017, 02:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dp9650
I am from Oregon as well. Where abouts do you live? I boat the John Day and Columbia. I have had the opportunity to visit the Keys twice, great place. Got to watch a poker run stop by Duck Key, amazing bunch of go fast boats, one was turbine powered.

I live in tigard, usually launch out of bayport st helens, and hang out around warrior rock on sauvie island, then I run up to portland and back every now and then, but im usually anchored up somewhere along suavie island columbia side, mouth of the lewis river, or camping at warrior rock. I didnt take the boat out much this year as I had picked up some wave runners, and wanted to do maintenance on the boat. I'm upgrading to the big velvet drives, the little ones just wouldnt hold up.

I missed out on a poker run this summer, but I have no idea who even hosted it since the nw forum got shut down.

My old panther really isnt go fast anymore lol. Not compared to the big boys, but its more than enough for now... It's fun to get airborne and I can gps about 70 in a good chop.

Last edited by airbats801; 01-18-2017 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tim mccray
If you've never boated in Florida before, your best bet would be to try to time a trip when one of the poker runs is going on and join it. Then you can learn the ins and outs of Florida boating. They make runs to the Bahamas as well. There are too many things to learn about just trying to read advice from people on here. Even a simple run down to Key West from Miami can turn into a bad trip if you're not familiar with the waters and prepared. Better have a really good GPS as well and a back up. Should have some charts and know how to read them just in case all else fails.
Headline in the Miami Herald: Big Balled Boater Missing

Last edited by BenPerfected; 01-18-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by airbats801
I usually have 3 to 4 months off, so the drive down is going to be one of the fun parts for me actually, although yeah its never really exciting dragging that boat anywhere, but its doable, and I think it would be some good times. I plan on spending quite a bit of time checking out the fishing, but this has been bubbling in the back of my min for awhile now.
3-4 months off is great! Nassau is a busy area but it is super touristy and currently crime infested. My neighbor lives there due to his job and I usually see him every few weeks when he comes home so I get regular updates. The best thing about Nassau is Paradise Island/Atlantis but it is more like a Vegas atmosphere......everything is fake from the columns on the building to the aquarium running through the lobby.

That being said you mentioned that the boat hasn't gotten much use do to jet skis/fishing boats. I would be super disappointed in preparing for this epic trip, dragging the boat across the country only to have an engine/drive setback that ruins the trip. 3000 miles is a long drive down but a reaallly long drive home if your trip was a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvXyd55mcxM

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 01-18-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by airbats801
Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to put a list together.

I do like the idea of checking out nassau, and some of the other islands. I'm reading up more and more on it currently.

-vhf radio x2
-extra gps
-possibly sat phone
-paper charts
-does navionics have any sort of updated chart for that area? I havent looked into it yet
-20g potable water
-high flow bilge with a backup
I already run a 4 battery system for my boat as I am always worried about killing batteries when im sitting for days with the stereo on frequently
Looking at a inflateable boat with something like a 4hp outboard for getting around if we end up spending a few nights in a cove
-set of spare props and hardware
-full set of tools with a set of extra raw water pumps. I already carry this.
-fuel flow guages. been on my list for awhile now.
-2x flare guns already have
-3x fire extinguishers already on board

What kind of anchors do you guys like down there? I run what we call a columbia river breakaway anchor. with about 15ft of chain. It's stupid big and heavy, but seems to be about the only thing that will hold me in the current on the river in sand. Shields dont work worth a damn here. I would prefer something a bit more compact then what I use.

Can I run a small 2 stroke outboard in the bahamas?

Right now the boat boat seems to average about a gallon a mile, maybe a little better at cruise. 40-50mph in a 3 to 4ft river chop with my k planes all the way up. I run a 150g tank, so it doesnt seem like fuel will be that big of a issue from stop to stop. I definitely need a good travel plan though.
Just did Hillsboro inlet to Bimini in September - but we were in a friends 38' Tiara sport fish. Took us about 2 hrs 25 minutes at 26mph. What we hadn't planned on was course corrections due to the Gulf Stream pushing us north. The boat is equipped with Garmin 7616 & Simrad auto pilot, I think garmin gave us a 132* heading, but we had to correct to 135 due to gulf stream push. We took bottled water & Bud / Bud light - some of the locals will barter for our beer, as in 12 fresh lobster tails for $20 & a case of Bud Light... Lots more fun to spear them, but the windlass wasn't working & no manual handle (purchased one as soon as we got back to Florida) to let the anchor down. Fished off the ledge of south Bimini, got lots of queen snapper where the ledge drops off around 400'-600'. Electric reels are great for this kind of fishing. Bimini Sands Marina has good facilities, and is pretty easy to get into. You can likely rent a condo there, If that's where you head to. The nav bouys are not necessarily illuminated at night, so you'll need/want a good spot light IF you come in later than planned. We made some new friends at a little dive bar - The Thirsty Turtle. Plan well, be safe & have fun! Don't forget passports - you'll need to check in both ways...
Old 01-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

I would advise riding with someone that is from down there (south florida) on a trip down to the keys, or even just around the Miami area for a day before you ever put your boat in the water. I had 1000's of hours driving boats before the first time I was in south florida and had I not rode with someone for a few days I would have had my boat on a sand bar in 5 minutes after putting it in the water.

on the Bahamas trip I would get a personal texting device/gps locator. I will probably never go in the ocean again without something like this. If your boat is sinking you can text someone to let them know or just hit the sos and help will be on the way and know your location.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561286
Old 01-19-2017, 06:04 AM
Registered

I figure id just go with the sattelite phone over the gps locator. seems like a good idea since vhf might have a rrange of 20 miles on a good day from a coast guard location.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
3-4 months off is great! Nassau is a busy area but it is super touristy and currently crime infested. My neighbor lives there due to his job and I usually see him every few weeks when he comes home so I get regular updates. The best thing about Nassau is Paradise Island/Atlantis but it is more like a Vegas atmosphere......everything is fake from the columns on the building to the aquarium running through the lobby.

That being said you mentioned that the boat hasn't gotten much use do to jet skis/fishing boats. I would be super disappointed in preparing for this epic trip, dragging the boat across the country only to have an engine/drive setback that ruins the trip. 3000 miles is a long drive down but a reaallly long drive home if your trip was a failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvXyd55mcxM
Thanks for the information. I'll look into nassau a bit more. I'm not real big on the vegas thing.

I actually plan on going through both drives this year, and new transmissions, and im tempted to freshen up my engines even though they havent given me any problems. We decided to shoot for 2018. I wanna make sure the boat is tip top for this. We will probably give it a good hard running this summer at lake chelan poker run if I have it off, otherwise, maybe a long columbia trip down to astoria. The boat has actually been extremely reliable other than the small velvet drives which just havent held up.

I need to look at some nautical maps and really plan the trip, but I have plenty of time. I look forward to some snorkeling, and definitely some fishing. It's a bucket list thing, and im not real worried about it. I'm no cowboy on my big boat especially in unknown water, I save that for my wave runners, put them up on a few logs, rock banks and flipped off it once this last year on a sand bar lol. It should be a great trip. I'll probabl bring my little 15ft baja special down as well for some florida fishing.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recommend getting Navionics for your iPad and studying the maps as much as possible. Then leave from WPB or Stuart, clear in the West End and head to the Abacos... I would skip Freeport... Never been to Bimini so I can comment on that. But the Abacos is great, we did this trip last year.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Crossing is a non event if you pick the right day, wind direction is very important, I also have a Delorme Inreach and think it is money well spent even if you have a sat phone. Freeport and Nassau are not worth going to, the rest of the Bahamas is Beautiful. If you want to give me a call I can give you my take on it. I sent you a pm. We go 6+ times a year and are buying a place over there.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 591 Likes on 240 Posts

You can always do the Poor Mans Bahamas/ the Florida Keys.

Wet your whistle with great fishing and diving/snorkeling in nice clear water within miles of reasonable priced fuel and supplies.

Run up and down the Florida Keys enjoying haunts and dives without the worries of breaking down a long way from civilization..

Run out to Fort Jefferson and spend a few days hanging and exploring if you get ambitious.

Probably cost a 1/3 of what running around the Bahamas would cost.

Bahamas has a $300 cruising permit fee also .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.