Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Hammond Boats (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/34405-hammond-boats.html)

fastboat 10-07-2002 03:05 PM

Hammond Boats

Can anyone give me any info on Hammond Boats? I found a 21 ft Challenger at a good price, but don't know much about them. It has a SBC Mercruiser with 260 HP. Thanks for sharing any info.

CV-23 10-07-2002 07:09 PM

Hi fastboat....Go to www.classicglastron.com We have some Hammond info on our Main Page plus I visited with Bob Hammond this past Summer. What a cool guy. That is one sharp boat your looking at! Bob was a key player/designer/founder of Glastron. I own one of Art Carlson's Classics....A CV-23. It sports the 350/260hp and runs 55mph. It also gets 4mpg when taking it easy...Mike, VP CGOA.

Magicfloat 10-07-2002 08:20 PM

The 2150 Hammond/Challenger is a George Linder design from his 21'outboard,around 1976. Bob paid George for a plug of his pad bottom running surface and built the sides and deck for sbc mercruiser power. The early ones(1979)/80 were low profile decks,very small cabin and were the most desirable,but very hard to find,not many were built.81-82 were deeper but same hull,availability is better(we have an 81 and an 82)After all these years,still the best handling,best performing 21 Vee ever designed,used by Apache, Hustler,Stryker,Predator(a small Alabama company) and who knows who else. If you are going to copy,at least copy the best. Bob Hammond never copied, he paid for the running surface. If you find a nice one,buy it and restore it. If you find a 79/80low profile and don't want it,please let me know. Magicfloat

fastboat 10-07-2002 08:37 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I have not seen the boat. It belongs to my son's next door neighbor, and I won't get a chance to go see it for a couple of weeks. My son says the boat is in great shape, even the interior. The guy says the boat runs 70 mph, which I am not sure I believe, but I already have a Daytona that runs 96. My wife and I are looking for a little bigger boat that will handle the rough weekend water at our local lake, and we want something that we can sleep on occassionly. Does $3500 sound like a pretty fair price?

Magicfloat 10-07-2002 08:46 PM

Depends totally on the condition,these boats are 20+years old.Our 82 is very,very rough,it is priced at $2500. The 81 belongs to an employee,it is totally restored,new factory replica interior,etc. He doesn't actually have it for sale but would sell it for $5000/$5500 or so.The boats were extremely well built,never seen any wood rot or structural problems.

CV-23 10-07-2002 09:07 PM

Thats great info Magicfloat....I learned a few things too. Thanks, Mike.

CV-23 10-07-2002 09:14 PM

Here's a link to the 1980 Challenger Model, Mike.

http://www.classicglastron.com/80hm-inner2-pgs.htm

CV-23 10-07-2002 09:19 PM

And the '82 Model....Mike.

http://www.classicglastron.com/82hm-2150.html

fastboat 10-10-2002 07:46 AM

New info

Talked with my son today and he said this boat has a plate on the side that says "Sport". It is an '83 model. In NADA for '83 it lists a v-21 and a v-2150. Doesn't say anything about "Sport". NADA also says that one of the above models weighs about 1,000 lbs. more than the other.

Anyone have any more info on this boat as relates to the above info? I am trying to find out all I can before I make this 400 mile round trip. Thanks.

Offshore Addiction 10-10-2002 09:32 AM

the only info I got,is a builder that is still producing this hull,am in the process of finishing one for a customer now that we actually have converted into a bowrider,fully cored,225 efi merc,mayfair,gaffrig,you name it and its got it.....great hull,cant wait till its done....finishing the upholstry now.....been a great project,customer is very excited....

Magicfloat 10-10-2002 09:40 AM

Sport refers to seating,2 buckets and full bench. XL is L-shaped seating. Make sure hull # starts with RRH. Around 83 Bob sold the molds to Renken,but only a few were built before Strkyer got the molds.Strkyer is closed,still has the molds in Huntsville Al. Also there were a few bow riders made, called 2150BR.

fastboat 10-10-2002 04:10 PM

Thanks a lot, fellows. Now I am getting excited! A member on Scream and Fly said that he owned one, once, and that it was the roughest riding boat he had ever owned. I am wondering if he just didn't have it set up right. I am pretty good at that sort of stuff, so I'm not too worried. I may soon be joining the ranks of you off shore guys. Well, not too far off shore:D .

This boat should work a lot better in rough water than my 19' Daytona. Just be a much slower ride:rolleyes: .

Magicfloat 10-10-2002 04:30 PM

The guy on the other site is mistaken,the 2150 doesn't have reverse chines and is arguably one of the best riding 21 vees ever produced. As for the seat pedestals breaking out of the floor,that's a dead givaway that he had one of the Renken built boats. We were Hammond's largest dealer for for 3 of the 7-8 years they were prodced by Bob ,don't remember ever filing a warranty claim.Wish he was still building today.

fastboat 10-10-2002 04:54 PM

Magicfloat,

Man now you've got me PUMPED! That comment was the only negative I have heard about this boat, and if you were a dealer, I figure you know more about it than he does. My wife will flip when she sees this, as she is more excited about a bigger boat than I am. She has been on me to buy a small cuddy for a while, but I told her I wouldn't be caught dead in the ones that we can afford (Bayliner, etc. :eek: ) - image and all.

I am going to see the boat Tuesday, and from what I have found out so far, I will be dragging it home. Maybe I can start hanging with Wigginout, from up here.

fastboat 10-10-2002 06:32 PM

Will these numbers get me any more info? Model is Hamm 02100. Serial # is RRH03209M83J. Thanks, again.

Magicfloat 10-10-2002 06:56 PM

That would be one of the last "real" Hammonds built in Austin,Tx. RRH is the Coast Guard code for Robert R. Hammond.

texjet 08-15-2007 03:09 PM

Magicfloat

I haven't owned a boat in thirty years but I just bought a Hammond bowrider I/O Mercruiser,19'4', hull #RRH2999M83A. I just took it out on a small lake here in North Texas and it rides great. Do you know where I might get wiring or tech manual for this old boat?

Ryan00TJ 08-21-2007 07:18 PM

Here's my 1984 Challenger MKII. Original owner and it's in excellent condition. It's on SBC #5. Drive # 2. I completely redid the upholstery and dash last winter. Added carbon fiber dash panel along with Gaffrig gauges. With a 400hp 355ci it runs 70-73gps all day long. Building a 475hp 385ci for next season and looking for 80mph. That's about all the Alpha will handle.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6...orocgj4.th.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8...orocpu4.th.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/9...orocew7.th.jpg

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/1...orocdx6.th.jpg

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/5...orocyl0.th.jpg

Ryan00TJ 08-21-2007 07:18 PM

http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/6...hot2zo1.th.jpg

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8...skipyc6.th.jpg

tanktruck 02-13-2008 08:41 PM

2150 Stealth

Hi MAJICFLOAT In 2000 I purchased a 2150 from my father inlaw in Jasper. As I understand its history it was on Smith lake till I got it. It is an 86. A 300 tempest and alpha 1. It now sits along side my 330 Carver on the Il. river in Illinois. The red flake and crean colour still draw some looks, I have hit 65 with 2 aboard. After all these years she is still tight and surprises the locals with her speed and handeling. Dollar for dollar the best sport boat on this river. Never did brake the seats. I would like your opinion on how much power the Stryker built hull can handle. Its time for an over haul and I always want more power. If you still in Jasper, next election vote for Sonny, my wifes uncle,lol.

Magicfloat 02-13-2008 09:14 PM

Most of the later Strykers (old Hammond molds) used BBC's with Bravo ones,tho a couple were built with Blackhawk drives. The hull design will take almost any power you care to install,the limit is the drive. We had a customer that installed a blown BBC from his drag car,probrably capable of upper 90's or more easily,but he blew a drive first time out and put back the original 7.4.

darrell b 03-02-2008 12:41 PM

Hammond 1981

Hello Magicfloat, You seem to have a lot of knowledge of Hammond Boats, I am just finishing up a project on a 1981 V2150 Hammond. I installed a 350 HP ZZ4 with bravo I drive and havent been to the water yet, just wondering what MPH I can expect and any other advise you might have would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Magicfloat 03-02-2008 01:14 PM

Hard to say. Back in the day,the 260hp 350 with Alpha ran low 60's easily,330hp 454 with Bravo high 60s,502 mags ran hi 70's. I guess mabe hi 60's could be obtainable.Use a Mirage prop.

Jeembo 03-02-2008 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by fastboat (Post 385975)
Can anyone give me any info on Hammond Boats? I found a 21 ft Challenger at a good price, but don't know much about them. It has a SBC Mercruiser with 260 HP. Thanks for sharing any info.

Re: Hammond Challenger MKII (2150). Have followed R.H.'s history since 1979 and before in his design capacities with other boat manufacturers (ie:Glastron, etc.). Have a '82 MKII, know it's history since day one. I know of 3 MKII's and 1 1979 MKI in Saskatchewan, as well as other Hammond models that were sold thru' a dealership in Regina, Sask. Please e-me if you would like more info or chat about these wonderful, well built boats.

Jeembo 03-03-2008 12:13 AM

Hammond Challenger V2150 History

Is Magicfloat still out there? (Or anybody with info re: Hammond boats, or other boats made with these molds ie; Stryker..) Sounds like you have a thorough background re: Hammond boats, RH's history with Glastron/hull development in the last 40+ years. Would greatly appreciate your insight as far as any history, etc that I could access to help in my logging a history of the 'Hammond' boat experience. I personally have followed Hammond boats since a dealer in Regina,Saskatchewan, Canada brought them here back in '79. We have a lot of Hammonds here as there weren't many marine dealers in this area back then. Thanx for any help/info. I have had my 1982 Challenger MKII since 1987, and it still is the sweetest ride in this size that I've driven. Thanx again, Jeembo

Patrask 03-21-2008 05:05 PM

hi i own a hammond mkII with the hull RRH03026M83B
with an 454 and an 1721 arneson drive living in the north of sweden so the boat have travelled a long way its a great boat in good shape interior on the seats still original have a new paint on it though looks pretty cool. is this one of Bob Hammonds boats??

Magicfloat 03-21-2008 05:14 PM

That is a real Hammond,and one of the last Bob built.The RRH in the hull # says it all,RRH stands for Robert R. Hammond.

curt 04-04-2008 02:00 AM

Wanted Hammond 21ft Challenger

I have been looking for A 21ft hammond challenger for A few years please let me know of any for sale
[email protected]

Land Shark 07-11-2008 10:31 PM

Hammond boats

I have had a '76 Hammond V1950 El Dorado for about 3 years now . This is the most info I have seen on the net about Hammond boats. I have used mine strickly for fishing. The bow design handles the Columbia river well and it is very stable when on anchor or floating downstream fighting a Chinook salmon. The interior is still in excellant shape and I just had a new top made which is a bit taller but still looks great. I have made some modifications ( aluminum anchor nest set up for large river claw anchor with mount also for a bow mount 80 lb thrust MinnKota electric motor). I incorporated the swim step into a mount for a 7.5 hp Merc trolling motor. I have not seen another Hammond on the water since I have had this boat. I am a new member and hope to see more Hammond owners on here!

chevydan 02-28-2009 06:57 PM

Another Hammond 2150 Challenger

Hey guys, I bought my Hammond in the summer of '06 in Edmonton, Canada, from a guy who had it for 20 years or so. It's an '81 that was painted about 15 years ago, and has a matching interior. Still has the stock 260hp motor and pre-Alpha drive. I live on the southwest coast of BC now and love to use my boat at Harrison Lake or Okanagan Lake. I have put aftermarket performance manifolds and thru-hull exhaust and my boat which makes it sound real nice. I may be interested in selling it but only because I want a larger boat.

bamahead 07-19-2009 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2494414)
That is a real Hammond,and one of the last Bob built.The RRH in the hull # says it all,RRH stands for Robert R. Hammond.

Magicfloat - I just bought my father's old '84 Hammond V1940-XL St. Tropez as my first boat. I have the RRH serial as well S/N# RRH03360M84E. It has the 260 MerCruiser Thunderbolt. All the nameplates say Austin, TX as well, so I'm hoping I have one of the last of Bob's Hammonds. It is registered as a 1984 and I'm guessing that's what the 84 in the S/N designates.

It's been a great boat for our whole family for the last 25 years and I felt priveledged that my father sold it to me. A great buy for me considering I know practically all the history behind the boat. The Boat is in great shape, has been dry docked at Smith Lake in Jasper, AL since it was new. I've hauled it over to Georgia and it's new home is Lake Allatoona north of Atlanta. I'm pretty proud of it!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...L-StTropez.jpg

Magicfloat 07-19-2009 08:59 PM

Every Hammond on Smith Lake came from us.Please email me your dad's name,I'm sure I will remember him,and the boat.Most of them stayed at Duskin Point Marina.

bamahead 07-20-2009 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by bamahead (Post 2913277)
Magicfloat - I just bought my father's old '84 Hammond V1940-XL St. Tropez as my first boat. I have the RRH serial as well S/N# RRH03360M84E. It has the 260 MerCruiser Thunderbolt. All the nameplates say Austin, TX as well, so I'm hoping I have one of the last of Bob's Hammonds. It is registered as a 1984 and I'm guessing that's what the 84 in the S/N designates.

It's been a great boat for our whole family for the last 25 years and I felt priveledged that my father sold it to me. A great buy for me considering I know practically all the history behind the boat. The Boat is in great shape, has been dry docked at Smith Lake in Jasper, AL since it was new. I've hauled it over to Georgia and it's new home is Lake Allatoona north of Atlanta. I'm pretty proud of it!

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...L-StTropez.jpg

Nelems Marine? The sticker is still on the back of the boat :)

I'll msg you privately with that information.

bamahead 07-20-2009 06:20 PM

Nelems Marine? The sticker is still on the back of the boat. :)

I'll msg you privately with that info.

bamahead 07-20-2009 06:35 PM

Hey Magicfloat - I couldn't sent you a private message and wasn't sure about e-mailing you through Boat Trader, so here's my reply...

My father is Henry Leonard. He purchased that boat right off the Nelems showroom floor in 1984, at your old location on Hwy 78 just past the Warrior Bridge. I was with him when he bought it, I'm his son Brian. I remember it was about a week or so after the '84 B'ham Boat Show, and I recall him spending a good amount of time at the Nelems booth there, he was probably talking to you!

We always kept it in dry storage at Duncan Bridge, until about 1 month ago, when I finally talked him into selling it to me! :) I have lived in Atlanta for the last 10 years. I trailered the boat (first time since you dropped it off) and hauled it over here. I actually bought the trailer from Duskin that same day.

It needs a minor bit of bellows work (after 25 years) but still runs and handles absolutely fantastic. The interior is still in perfect shape, the wood and floors are holding up good. Bob Hammond knew how to build boats. I'll get some better pictures of it online and send them over. Glad to meet you!

-Brian Leonard

Ms PatriYacht 07-20-2009 07:13 PM

small world, you are lucky you hit upon this site. Magicfloat/Robert Nelems is a long time well respected member of this site. Congratulations on your purchase, and welcome to OSO. It sounds like you have a lot of great memories and good times with the boat so I am glad it is staying in your family. Now for the question I am curious about, who does the house in the pic belong to:D

On the issue of Private Messaging, the site is set up so only paying members can PM, I also thought only paying members can post pictures but I see you did that so that his me confused.

bamahead 07-20-2009 08:19 PM

LOL Ms PatriYacht...that house is across the street from my Dad's house. It belongs to some lawyer in B'ham. The folks' house is big but it's nowhere near that extravagant! What's funny about it is that there are paper blinds in all the windows of that house. Hey I guess if you unload on a house that big...heheh :)

It is a very small world! In Googling for research on the boat I came across this site. There's actually more info on Hammonds on this one thread than just about anywhere else on the net. I spent a lot of my youth on Smith Lake and Nelems is basically a household name 'round those parts :) Robert sold my dad a great boat, and it's more or less a member of the family!

Magicfloat 07-20-2009 09:17 PM

You are making me feel old,Brian,but that's OK.I am old. I got a chuckle from your comment about our "old" location.We are still there,haven't gone anywhere in 43 years.I do remember your dad,and your posts bring back memories of the old days. We sure did sell a lots of Hammonds back in the day. I talked to Bob Hammond a couple of weeks ago. He is doing well, still living in Austin where it all started with Glastron,then Hammond.Good days,thanks for the reminder. Robert

Ryan00TJ 07-20-2009 09:24 PM

Just saw this thread again....

My 84 2150 Challenger is serial # RRH 03232M84 bought new in August 1983. MidState Marine in Sutton, WV.

I'm original owner. Still the best boat in its class out there..
Other than a few small spider cracks in the gel the boat is still flawless. I redid the interior in 06 with new upholstery, carbon fiber dash with Gaffrig gauges and a 470hp 385ci SBC. I also added an Alpha SS drive. Currently runs 80GPS @ 6200rpms. Handles that speed with ease.

Here's some more info.....

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb...php?f=21&t=988

Ms PatriYacht 07-20-2009 10:03 PM

Robert why did he quit making these boats, sure sounds like they were a great boat with a loyal following.