Notices

Don Aronow 30 years gone!

Old 02-02-2017, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by HORBA
Sorry about the last photo of the 27 Magnum being upside down.

Old boat racers can find their way acroos vast expanses of empty ocean.....BUT we can't figure out how to get a photo to load right side up...Sorry.
No problem, the photos were nice but the pictures you painted with words were even better. I thoroughly enjoyed it and feel as if I know Don Aranow a little.

Padraig
Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
No problem, the photos were nice but the pictures you painted with words were even better. I thoroughly enjoyed it and feel as if I know Don Aranow a little.

Padraig
Thanks Padrig. Here is another little known fact about The Don. He was generous as well as tough.

He was in construction and he built, homes, office buildings, plazas and apartment complexes. One of these apartment complexes was in the Atlanta area and was near an African / American college.

This school had lots of students that wanted to go there, but they were a little short on both money and housing. Don heard about their problem and stepped in and donated an apartment complex that was very near the campus.

The photo shows Don getting a letter of appreciation from the college president and he was also given a Lifetime Membership in the NAACP
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow 30 years gone!-aronow-2-070006.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 PM
Registered

I stand about 5"11", so you can see that Don was a big man physically as well as a businessman and racer.

This was taken in front of the Magnum office door when Don owned it.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow 30 years gone!-mc-carthy-32small.jpg  
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Great picture Charlie!.....and really didn't know he was that generous to the less fortunate!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bringing this "to the top" where it belongs all day today!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Don & me in my 28 SS in 1977

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564384[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564385[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]564386[/ATTACH]
A friend of our family.
My wife went to school with his daughter in South Orange N.J.
Attached Thumbnails Don Aronow 30 years gone!-aronow2.jpg   Don Aronow 30 years gone!-aronow.jpg   Don Aronow 30 years gone!-lucky-strike.jpg  

Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Love him or not he was one of the people who made our Hobby, Sport, Passion what it is today. I was fortunate enough to spend time at Cigarette, Apache, Magnum and Hawk when they were both still running strong on 188th thanks to Scott Smith and Craig Barrie. The stories are endless from back in the day.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Registered

CIG3 love it , if share you some
Old 02-03-2017, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

On one trip in 93' we stopped in to see Scott at Cigarette. He gave us a quick look around and even a our of Don's office where they had all the build files stored. Very cool. He was pretty busy that day so we said we were going to head over to Fort Apache to look around. Scott said to drop his name and we would (laughing) probably get bounced out on our head. First we stopped at Hawk and Bud Larow showed us around. Got to see a set of the 600 Cu.In. Sonny Leonard motors for a new 46 Rough Rider that was being built for the owner of the Florida Marlins (Race Boat) very cool. After that we figured we'd hit Apache to see what was up. After walking around for few minute who comes out of the office but Bobby Saccenti. He spent nearly an hour with us looking at all the boats in the place. We got to crawl around a brand new 36' they were building for Arizona Iced Tea owner. Years later I met Bobby again at the Miami show and he remembered be and our visit. Really cool guy.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I just think he was perfectly suited to become even more of an innovator in hull design had he lived.........he ditched every successful boat company before the boredom set in -or- as soon
as the first sign of it was felt.
How many people you know would leave a successful company and then move on to another startup only to make that new one successful? ..........he did it 5 times!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.