Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer >

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Notices

Trailering 11'6" cat flat trailer

Old 02-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pulled a 40' MTI all over with no issues.. I bought a 50' Mystic that was 12'6" wide and pulled permits and did it right. Never got pulled over or even stopped at a scale house. I got a green light go on through every single time and probably went through 50 scales. One huge thing is make sure your truck, trailer, and boat are in YOUR NAME! Not your company or none count toward commercial. If you have some in a company name and they pull you over you will get much more scrutiny if a commercial entity owns any of the equipment.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,724 Likes on 3,793 Posts

I have pulled a friends' 36 Skater all over, and the only state we had a issue with was New Mexico on the way to Havasu. the Truck is a Freightliner with Air Brakes, but is registered in his name, so no cdl required. My rv has Air Brakes as well and no cdl required. the fine in New Mexico was $100. Plus had to buy flags and banners, and permit.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

So if your pulling as a personal person "private - Not For Hire" Are you required to pull through the weight stations?
I did not think you needed to do so as long as you are not a commercial operator?
Did you have Private not for hire stickers on your tow vehicles?

Permits seem to vary from state to state.
Times of operation seem fairly straight 1/2 hr before and after sunset in most states.
Flags on all four corners and wide load sign.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hustlerguy
So if your pulling as a personal person "private - Not For Hire" Are you required to pull through the weight stations?
I did not think you needed to do so as long as you are not a commercial operator?
Did you have Private not for hire stickers on your tow vehicles?

Permits seem to vary from state to state.
Times of operation seem fairly straight 1/2 hr before and after sunset in most states.
Flags on all four corners and wide load sign.

It varies by state. Believe me I've pushed it as far as anyone. Towed a 36' Skater race boat from CA to FL and never pulled a permit, nor stopped for anything but fuel and food. But there are people that get caught for everything.

In CA, it's your Trailer GVW ,13,001 lbs and greater, and it's commercial regardless of what it's registered as or in. I hear OHIO is a real bastard to get through.

In FL going to KW they have stopped people towing their own boat if they have a sticker or name on it as they say it was a sponsored name/sticker or whatever and therefore it falls under commercial rules.

Lesson learned... It can be as bad as the person pulling you over wants to make it.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered

Still I guess one of my main questions.
With the flags on the corners or trailer, the wide load banner on the trailer.

Are you guys pulling in the weight station or passing on by like a normal person with a wide motorhome or wide trailer load?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kidturbo
I'm with Rik on instate transport. Ohio is like $90 a year for a single boat. Basic safety rules, no running after dark, or on holidays I believe. They don't require a DOT sticker or CDL for the driver. Just that permit and your golden.

When I went after that cat in Buffalo I researched all this, then called a buddy who hauls farm equipment all over the place. He's who told me to go on a Sunday, and get home before dark. Said play dumb and don't have a tape measure laying on the seat.. lol. At the time I thought the boat was only 10'2", once we got there and pulled a tape across it, 11'6". That's when I told my buddy F it, lets roll the dice..
What's the logic of not being able to tow at night when there are far fewer auto's on the road?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
What's the logic of not being able to tow at night when there are far fewer auto's on the road?
Some states schedule road maintenance at night. With a wide load the state (when you get a permit) can route you 100+ miles out of your way to avoid construction areas. Being legal can be a real pain. Getting caught being illegal can be real expensive if you get stuck in a narrow lane and stop traffic for example.

Our 46' Skater was just high enough on the trailer to miss those concrete barriers. Scary some times..
Old 02-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow legally as I stated in a previous post. I would not fly anything if I were to tow illegally. Ignorance would be your friend. Fly by everything and play stupid when or if you get pulled over. Placing the correct banners and flag would show the world that you know the rules but don't give a damn. Flying by a scale with an oversize load and flags could get you chased down. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you staying here in Mn? Or pulling threw several other states? Mn yearly wide load permit isn't bad.

IIRC Nate said there was something about how he can only pull during day light hours with his wide load permit.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Are you staying here in Mn? Or pulling threw several other states? Mn yearly wide load permit isn't bad.

IIRC Nate said there was something about how he can only pull during day light hours with his wide load permit.
Actually will tow very little in MN probably. mostly just to get out of the state or back in it.
More in WI, Illinois, Mo, ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.