Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
When are 17 year old CMI's any good anyway?
CMI headers are a fine product.
It's the Mercury designed and spec'd headers that they strong-armed CMI into producing that are the sketchy ones.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
It's the Mercury designed and spec'd headers that they strong-armed CMI into producing that are the sketchy ones.
They didn't have to make them if they weren't up to their standards right? IMO they made 'em, they earned the rep.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:36 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
They didn't have to make them if they weren't up to their standards right? IMO they made 'em, they earned the rep.
You're right, but when you get that kind of a purchase order as a small business, you step up to make things happen so you can put food on the table.

This has been hashed over and over again. CMI submitted to Mercury what the header should consist of. Mercury wanted them cheaper, and bought them in bulk, no questions asked; and handled the warranty themselves for engines/headers under warranty. I do blame Mercury; not CMI. It's no different than GM spec'ing Delphi parts to be 'just good enough' to last 3 years/36K miles.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:47 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

You're right, but when you get that kind of a purchase order as a small business, you step up to make things happen so you can put food on the table.

This has been hashed over and over again. CMI submitted to Mercury what the header should consist of. Mercury wanted them cheaper, and bought them in bulk, no questions asked; and handled the warranty themselves for engines/headers under warranty. I do blame Mercury; not CMI. It's no different than GM spec'ing Delphi parts to be 'just good enough' to last 3 years/36K miles.
So using that logic, as a builder if I get a large job but need to cut some corners to make it happen I'll ignore best building practices to support my family? Baloney.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,126 Likes on 476 Posts

To the OP, you knew the thread would go off topic at some point but did you get enough responses to help you?
Would YOU buy a saltwater boat?
Old 02-27-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Ok, I'll alter the question........What marine use headers are good after 17 years anyway!
Old 02-27-2017, 08:01 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,403 Posts

and (Mercrury) handled the warranty themselves for engines/headers under warranty. .
Are you sure ? It depends on how the contract between Mercury and CMI where for these warranty issues. Anyone know what went on behind the scenes with warranty ? Would be interesting but probably near impossible to know unless you know a person that works in this area of Mercury and/or CMI.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

CMI E-tops give a good service life for the most part. I know of a couple sets that are 13 seasons old and still going strong. The swept-backs on the 525's early on were the most problematic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.