Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL? >

Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL?

Notices

Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL?

Old 02-26-2017, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Never leave home without it .
Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by phughes69
I planning a trip down to Mobil AL with my Formula 242 to do some boating in Mobile Bay, the intercoastal towards Pensacola and out in the Gulf. Buddy of mine is flying down and going to go with me. He is suggesting to take a shotgun just in case of alligators or sharks if we have any problems with the boat. Is this a good idea? How do the Coasties or local PD react to this?

Is this a joke? (I took it serious until I saw the sharks/alligators mentioned!)

You do not need firearms for sharks/alligator defense! People, well that is a different story but I don't think a 242 would attract too much unwanted attention.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I assure you there are no pirates off the coast of Alabama. Rednecks yes pirates no. Lol. Carrying for sharks, gators and pirates sounds like some new sci-fi low budget movie. Like a shark-pirate gang against a gator-pirate gang. Lol.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

https://icc-ccs.org/index.php/piracy...iracy-map-2016

pirate map......
Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Flare gun works well and contributed towards passing a safety check.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sea6
Just a little further down this road. If police make contact, do you volunteer that weapons are aboard?
Because he'd be carrying on a Michigan CPL, and because Michigan is a "duty to inform" state, I'd say declare the firearm if stopped and produce the CPL. But Alabama is a "if asked" state, so...... ?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
That map is bunk, there's no pin for Lake Lanier and there are DOCUMENTED pirate sightings there every year!
Old 02-26-2017, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 596 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
I think the reciprocity reply was good and valid. I would store the firearms in a secure private location out of sight on the boat and only answer if directly questioned. Local water cops can only stop you for a safety inspection (without suspicion). They have no authority to search without PC (mobile conveyance doctrine). The Coasties can also stop and board you for a safety inspection. If you give the locals or coasties a reason to search like leaving a joint laying around then they have free reign to search. Only US Customs (CBP) officers and some cross designated Coasties (with title 19 authority) can board and search a vessel in customs waters with NO suspicion (Customs border search). I think most cops feed off the attitude of the operators. If you operate your boat in an unsafe manner you're gonna call attention or act like a jerk during a safety inspection. Good luck.
I'm guessing you never been boarded by Fish and Wildlfe. Them Phuckers can do whatever they want as far as searching your boat.

Any b-rated movie watcher knows , a Good Double Band speargun works every time

The flare gun works but you have to get that Suna***** Gator or shark to open wide to get the Acetylene tank in his mouth 1st.

Last edited by tommymonza; 02-26-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I try to stay safe while surfing OSO also ..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565106[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Advisable to keep a firearm on a boat when out in the Gulf of Mexico around Mobil AL?-20170224_181816.jpg  
Old 02-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing worse than saying to yourself "Sh!t, I wish I had my gun"
On a trip back from the Bahamas my father on a 63' Ocean SF came across a 25' center console with 3 shady looking PIB waving their arms in distress, he stopped and asked what was wrong, they stated that they had broken down with engine trouble and had no VHF, my father offered to radio for assistance, it was then that they noticed that he had a .44 SW Model 629 in his waistband and the first mate had a 12 Ga standing off to the side, their engine troubles suddenly disappeared as they started their boat and sped off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.