Broken small part on top of raw water pump >

Broken small part on top of raw water pump

Notices

Broken small part on top of raw water pump

Old 03-05-2017, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken small part on top of raw water pump

Well, in the process of getting the raw water pump out, I inadvertently broke the little nipple on top of the raw water pump. It does not look like it is needed, but wanted to ask for some advice. What I am talking about is the part around the 11 o'clock position in this picture I found on the web. I hope it is not needed...as I reinstalled the pump, it THAT IS A PATA to say the least.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]565342[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Broken small part on top of raw water pump-image.jpeg  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:46 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

The little nipple is part of the quick drain feature where you use a bicycle type air pump to drain the sea water parts of the cooling system. If you have never or don't plan on using it you won't notice the difference.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:14 PM
Registered

I didn't notice any hoses going to this part of the pump. Only the other two hoses that come from the pump on the heat exchanger....what you are referring to. They attach to the two fitting sitting on the same housing right below the part I broke.
I really do not use the drain feature, so that is really not an issue. Just checking to make sure I don't have some other issue.
Thanks...
Old 03-06-2017, 06:07 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Actually the part that broke off is just a vent. Normally it would have a small hose running up the front of the engine that is just loose at the top. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-06-2017, 06:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

everyones right ,have them run on the dyno,best money spent and piece of mind.i bought a set of motors a year ago from a guy in Missouri that was supposed to be 8-10 old.after getting them one had been taken apart and freshened up for some reason and of course the guy said he just had it "checked out".also said the outer was taken apart too but it wasn't.i had the other one taken back apart and found at some point something happened to it and had been fixed ,I hope right, fast forward to now.im getting everything ready on the boat to put them in so had them dynode,one makes about 50 hp less than he said and his dyno sheets say and one makes 140 hp less,this is the one that had been taken apart,we found the valve spring pressure is way too low on that engine so im hoping after changing that it will be up to where the frist engine is.long story short have them run if you can afford it!hell I cant even get in touch with the machine shop he said built them...have them run
Old 03-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

orry for this post^^^^ wrong thread cant seem to erase it