Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility. >

Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility.

Notices

Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility.

Replacing the gauges and trying to figure out what colors to use. Currently the boat has black face gauges and I like them. They seem to give great visibility day or night and of course there is no glare from them. The dash is going to a silver/light gray color and the dash panel is going to a silver carbon fiber. A silver faced gauge would be cool but I wonder about sun glare and the visibility of day and night. I see gauges that are white faced and wonder how different they are from a black face in the sunlight.
Have some had both to tell how they seemed to you?

I could go all black with the bezels and gauge face which would be a nice contrast with the silver but there is no bling in black. I thought to go with silver bezels and black face but wonder of the silver would be a glare issue.

I should know better than to ask for input here because that can lead to more than I'm looking for, lol, but I guess I'll take my chances. I have not had a boat with bright colored dash and gauges so I don't know how that is in the sun. The bright stuff looks cool but how practical is it?
TIA
Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

My dash is white and gauges are white with bright fluorescent orange needles. I don't recall ever have a problem with glare.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have black face gauges on my current boat. All my previous boats had white face. I prefer white face. Depending on the sun, the black are hard for me to read. Although, my eyesight isn't getting any better either.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

I have carbon fiber faces with polished lips and I'm replacing with the same.
No issues with visibility in any weather.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have black face gauges on my current boat. All my previous boats had white face. I prefer white face. Depending on the sun, the black are hard for me to read. Although, my eyesight isn't getting any better either.
Interesting, so you find the white easier to read than the black? Is that the same at night?
I would think the back lighting would get too bright at night on a white face gauge.

My vision is not what it once was either and going down hill.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 AM
Registered

So which is easier to read for everyone, black face or white face? And which one for night? If night is different tell me why.
Is there a way I could see a display for comparison?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

aquaforce,

I used the Auto-meter Pro-Comp series, easily viewed both day and night, can add colored bezels or not, not expensive and very dependable.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
Interesting, so you find the white easier to read than the black? Is that the same at night?
I would think the back lighting would get too bright at night on a white face gauge.

My vision is not what it once was either and going down hill.
I don't boat much at night so I can't comment on that to much. Here's what I have now, Smartcraft gauges. I can see them better when the sun is shining on them, but not in lower light. I had analog white face Livorsi's or merc gauges on my last two boats and they were way easier for me to see.
Attached Thumbnails Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility.-img_0601.jpg   Need input about guage face color and glare and visibility.-img_0722.jpg  
Old 03-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Treads
aquaforce,

I used the Auto-meter Pro-Comp series, easily viewed both day and night, can add colored bezels or not, not expensive and very dependable.
Ok. I will look those up too. I have seen some boats with the autometer gauges but never really looked into them. They look decent in pics. I'm thinking to go silver carbon fiber panel on a silver dash so just need to figure out the gauges.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I don't boat much at night so I can't comment on that to much. Here's what I have now, Smartcraft gauges. I can see them better when the sun is shining on them, but not in lower light. I had analog white face Livorsi's or merc gauges on my last two boats and they were way easier for me to see.
Thanks for the lighting comparison. That is where I am kind of fine tuning my choices now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.