Notices

hard lessons.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow. You just sent a chill down my back. Had something similar and know how you feel. I don't night boat either.

Originally Posted by VtSteve
Haven't been here in eons, but not much has changed. Fast toys involve risk, people that get a rush out of risk like fast toys. As has been the case for awhile, phragle is post on.

The larger problem with episodes like this is that they typically happen when others that may not share their enthusiasm for risk-taking adrenaline rushes are present in droves. Way back in the old days, the country was far less populated than it is now, both on the highways and on the water. We all want what we all want and like to do what we all want to do. But as the population increases, we need to seriously consider the risks to others.

In this case, it didn't involve others. But it easily could have. I was out in the boat one gorgeous evening. Moonlit, calm waters, gorgeous. Just like I had dreamed of from boating nights in the 70's and 80's. I love the lake at night, always have. We were cruising back from dinner, going about 20 mph, bow down so I could see ahead. I was the only one that didn't drink that night, I was the captain. A boat came by us Starboard through a fairly narrow pass at what I'd estimate to be at least 80 mph. I felt his spray when he hit our wake. He was so close my knees shook.

I knew he had most likely came from the very same place we had just left some 30 minutes before, likely drunk. The boat was probably 15' or more longer than mine, so any impact would have been fatal for all six in my boat. I sold the boat, and have not been on the water since. With the fear of boating at night, I had no reason to continue
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Steve, Good post, points well taken. Should have hunted him down and beat the snot out of him, instead of giving up something you really love!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
A vee hull can also launch off a wave or wake.
I'm struggling to recall any deaths from fast Vs. I know someone got hurt bad on razz. And that a number of step boats have spun (due to the CP being moved ahead of the CG)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by hogie roll
I'm struggling to recall any deaths from fast Vs.
The OL at the old Smoke on the Water run (what ever happened to boatme anyway?)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hogie roll
I'm struggling to recall any deaths from fast Vs. I know someone got hurt bad on razz. And that a number of step boats have spun (due to the CP being moved ahead of the CG)
http://www.thetimesherald.com/story/...rash/22039455/
Old 04-17-2017, 06:51 AM
Registered

another one

http://wgntv.com/2016/07/23/boat-sla...ling-2-people/
Old 04-17-2017, 06:53 AM
Registered

and another one

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2850218
Old 04-17-2017, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Driver is alive. While there is a death involved it was not any one on the operators boat (first link).

Also your other two involved 2 key factors and neither are jumping a boats wake (like what originally sparked his comment.) Both hit a sea wall during a time of poor visibility and with booze or drugs involved.

I think his point was more geared to a situation of wake and heavy traffic. Which I am sure there has been a few but it seems to be far less than high powered cats.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by beckmwi
Got any that were spin or ejection related due waves and speed? Not just drunk people ramming things?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The closest thing would be the world renowned 38' Fountain at LOTO. Didn't hit anything but each other flying around in the cockpit from what appears to be caused from speed and waves....and....stupidity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.